Sigma FP Shooters - What do you think ?

I have had the FP almost from when it was launched. It IS over priced for what it is, and it has many negative aspects, like most Sigma cameras.
However, I keep coming back to it.
The picture quality of out the camera (raw without adjustments) is wonderful, lovely sharpness and beautiful colours.
Most of the time I use it in my work for video, which is why I have kept it. My other body is an M240, and at the end of the day I like the FP images more and they take much less work in post. I have some Sigma L mount lenses (with autofocus), but I most often use the FP with my M mount lenses or Pentax Takumar.
At the moment I'm trying to decide which body to take on a cycling holiday in May. The FP is bulky with the EVF (essential) and my Niceyrig grip.
But the FP picture quality is still winning for me.
Test shot from yesterday (much compressed for web)

Attachments

• 15331736-1273-4C84-A828-B20A37FF30DC.jpeg
    15331736-1273-4C84-A828-B20A37FF30DC.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 10
Sure, but you said it 'was a dud for stills', blanket statement, rather than it wasn't a good choice for YOUR needs. The autofocus is rubbish, but many stills photographers don't use auto-focus (or have to).
Ok, I am sorry I offended you about a camera. I actually think it is pretty cool. For me, (for me) using manual focus with an LCD feels like a toy puzzle for kids twisting and twisting... ;) Many still photographers use AF too.

No problem. Yes, the LCD screen is a bit of a non starter. I actually don't like using autofocus with the LCD either. I bought the (ridiculously expensive and bulky) EVF.
Bottom line, like other Sigma cameras (DP Merrill) the image quality is fantastic, but several functional and ergonomic missteps make them a PITA to use.
If they had dropped the 'smallest full frame camera' idea and just made it a little larger with a built in viewfinder and additional mechanical shutter, it would have been my dream camera.

Michael Johnston at The Online Photographer has a number of posts about his new fp, which he converted to B&W. It's an interesting journey. You can do a search on his website to see his thoughts on it. Welcome!

A bit confusing, not sure what makes it a B&W conversion. There is a B&W film mode (for monitoring if you shoot in raw).

Sigma fan here since the Dp. The Fp compactness as smallest FF camera is what drew me to it. Certainly not perfect and has many flaws, but it's versatility, ability for Cinemadng raw, dual iso BSI and not to mention the ecosystem of L mount together with good manufacturer support more than outweighs the cameras negatives. Horses for courses.

Cant believe it's more expensive now than when I first purchase it

Last edited:
A bit confusing, not sure what makes it a B&W conversion. There is a B&W film mode (for monitoring if you shoot in raw).

He had the physical Bayer filter over the sensor removed. The camera becomes colour blind.

The problem is that the firmware is still written for and assumes that the colour information is there.

Marty

OK. It's pretty good just using the B&W film mode, then converting to B&W in your picture editor. It displays B&W in the LCD and EVF.

No problem. Yes, the LCD screen is a bit of a non starter. I actually don't like using autofocus with the LCD either. I bought the (ridiculously expensive and bulky) EVF.
At the time (when I made my post), I do not believe there was an EVF for the Fp. Once the Fp L came along, then the EVF appeared. Certainly better with it.

It is crazy expensive. I was lucky I got my FP quite cheap early on when some disenchanted early adopters were dumping it.
The RRP is a bit crazy for what you get (missing standard features). The images ARE great though.

I got my FP a couple of years ago on special w/free 45mm lens.
It really is quite versatile for what it is...trim it down..stick it in your pocket for FF transport w/tiny M lens.
Throw the EVF on it and you have a more friendly camera when needed.
I'm not crazy about the menus..but you cant have everything.
Its a cute lil powerful tool.

OK. It's pretty good just using the B&W film mode, then converting to B&W in your picture editor. It displays B&W in the LCD and EVF.
I believe it, but the advantages are the same as the M Monochrom - higher sharpness on a pixel level due to lack of bayer interpolation, higher signal/noise ratio for better low light sensitivity. I've also heard people who use monochrome cameras say that the way the sharpness and noise interact looks more like film grain.

I have not used a Sigma FP. I have owned and thoroughly enjoyed a Sigma Sd14, SD1[M], SD Quattro, Sd Quattro H… all incredible cameras.

Anybody that gets onboard with team Sigma Cameras had better be read\y to experience the highs and lows of the photographic experience. Making the pictures can be aggravating, the end results will likely be the most rewarding photo experience of your life.

Your choice!
Mike

Back