Leica LTM Pre-war Leica glass, show your photos

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
Great stuff posted again lately. Raises the bar! :)

Think I'll bring my uncoated Elmar to a young girl model shoot in a few hours. See what I can get from it, regarding low-contrast. I think it would do portraits of her justice.

Stay tuned.

Leica II, Hektor 50mm f/2.5, Tmax400.

Erik.

9368579302_e1cc8bca4f_c.jpg

Always amazed by your ability to make ordinary things look special in a photo, Erik.

Often it seems as if the meaning of your photos is hardly important, since the scene itself is recorded in such a way that it becomes irrelevant what was going on at the time you tripped the shutter. What remains is a beautiful image, no matter the context.

I wish I could go see an exhibition of your stuff, or buy a book.

Erik, I fully agree with Johan, above. Your photos with this classic gear are always wonderful to look at, no matter how common the subjects are. And the technical quality of your work is always excellent. This last one is a good example. Love it!

I say we vote Erik a mentor, I'm most interested by his process and his ability to achieve consistent good tonality.

The above geese image I find astounding, Erik! There is only one goose that is bright white, there is also black in the picture and all tones in between are clearly defined, nothing murky or unclear.

I'm thinking James Ravilious or J. Allen Cash when looking at your pictures with early uncoated lenses

The photographs you post are flatbed scans from silver prints IIRC?

I'd love to achieve photographs like yours and it seems that my direct-negative scanning cuts a lot of tonality from the negative...:(

Thank you all for the compliments!

A good film is important. I prefer Tmax400.

I use an Epson V600 scanner. I scan the negatives individually wile holding them flat with a piece of anti-newton glass.

I use the densitometer of the scanner. A very useful aid.

In PSE I add just a little bit of sharpening.

The scans are "saved for web" in PSE.

Thats about it.

Erik.

The National Theater of Prague.
A tribute to Rodchenko, with Leica I mod C, (1931) and Elmar 3,5/50.

Attachments

• Prague.jpg
    Prague.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0
Erik, can I ask what you are exposing that Tmax400 at? Many of your shots have sunlight in it and I'm thinking you must either use small apertures or high shutter speeds to cover for it?

That last shot is lovely, with the reflective circle in the middle!

another fan of your work, erik.

perhaps the comparison has been drawn before, but i am reminded of james ravilious each time i see a frame of yours. always beautiful!

Erik, can I ask what you are exposing that Tmax400 at? Many of your shots have sunlight in it and I'm thinking you must either use small apertures or high shutter speeds to cover for it?

That last shot is lovely, with the reflective circle in the middle!

I rarely use a lightmeter. The Tmax films have a large exposure latitude. I am not afraid of a little bit of overexposure.
In cases I use a meter I rate Tmax400 @ 200 ISO. I develop the film in Ilford Perceptol in a dilution of 1 part developer in 2 parts water @23 degrees C for 11 minutes.

Erik.

Back