Praise for the Spotmatic

It's a helluva a great system particularly for the price. I see it as a contender to the vintage Nikon crown. In fact in the photojournalist era when the Nikon F ruled, Spotmatics and occasionally a Leica were about the only other models that managed to claw their way into use as occasional 35mm alternatives to the Nikon F dominance. These are the most reliable M42 bodies I'm aware of (excepting the rare modern Bessaflex). Most other M42 bodies, as cool as some of them are even today, just have not held up as well (although they can be CLA'd back to service easily enough). The Pentax lenses are all amazing - at least the ones I've used.

Noll: Just love that train engine shot!!!

Just had my SPF and 50/1.4 serviced...
They also have such a distinctive clunk when firing the shutter
Always been impressed by the Takumars and have been accumulating the odd lens here and there over the years...

One with the 50/1.4

21-5-10-035-HP5 by Redt16s, on Flickr

It's a second-best, slightly rougher SV with a built in meter. I prefer the SV.

Cheers,

R.

I'll agree to that. I have a few Spotties (SL, SP1000, SP F) and a very worn SV. The Spotties are all in very nice mechanical shape and extremely nice cameras, but as to being tactile the SV wins hands down. It's sadly mostly a shelf queen as it'll need to be rebuilt from the bare frame.

The SL is a very good alternative though, being a Spottie with the meter pulled. Best of both worlds?

Derk

tumblr_myzxdkjp2z1qh1w8lo1_1280.jpg

Throwing in some Spotmatic love. :)

Here's my Spotmatic F with Super-Takumar 50mm f1.4.

In 1981 I got my first SLR, a Pentax MV, it was for me a dream come true, my parents were not rich and must have struggled to get the money together to get me the camera. I have loved Pentaxes and Pentax Glass ever since. Arround the corner from my parents house lived a family friend called Eric, when he found out that my first camera was a Pentax he could not hide his joy, he was a massive Pentax fan, his house was wall to wall Pentax, he had Spotmatics and a boat load of Pentax glass, sadly I was to young and uneducated to appreciate his collection, but now 30 plus years later I wish I couldmgo back and look at his collection with more educated eyes. I miss Eric he was a knowledgable photographer and a good freind

In 1981 I got my first SLR, a Pentax MV, it was for me a dream come true, my parents were not rich and must have struggled to get the money together to get me the camera. I have loved Pentaxes and Pentax Glass ever since. Arround the corner from my parents house lived a family friend called Eric, when he found out that my first camera was a Pentax he could not hide his joy, he was a massive Pentax fan, his house was wall to wall Pentax, he had Spotmatics and a boat load of Pentax glass, sadly I was to young and uneducated to appreciate his collection, but now 30 plus years later I wish I couldmgo back and look at his collection with more educated eyes. I miss Eric he was a knowledgable photographer and a good freind

Lovely story.

I used my Spotmatic today. It is almost as easy as my Leica IIIf; but of course, the IIIf is more troublesome and no meter. It is heavy but the compactness makes up for the SLR feature. I would love to have had more time to use it in the 70s, 80s, and 90s; too many kids and responsibilities to enjoy an avocation.

These are two of my favorites:
2461475533_f9e3afb373.jpg

531898025_b17fc244b4.jpg

Been using the S-M-C Takumar 50mm/1.4 (with an adapter) with my NEX6, and I started to wonder what kind of B&W film images this lens will produce, so I ordered a Spotmatic. Just got it and I must say the ergonomics is superb. Tomorrow I'll load some film, get out the old Gossen Luna Pro S and have some fun.

Just got it and I must say the ergonomics is superb.

yes its very well thought trough manual camera. only if one changes lenses a lot, then bayonet mount would be nice. other than that, cannot think anything that would absolutely want for better shooting.

6316106121_c9a5281c01_z.jpg

I like the Spotmatic's - but considering their age now - most meters are dead and/or dying. The Bessaflex TM was a modern Cosina camera that incorporated several features from the Spotmatic - but with a much brighter finder and regular batteries for the meter. I tend to use it with a 20f4.5 wide and the Super Takumar 50mm f4.0 Macro (and with a f4 as a maximum aperture - the brighter finder does help).

Of course, if you're going that route you could also buy a $10 adapter and use your M42 Takumar glass on Contax/Yashica cameras. They work wonderfully on my Aria and 139q, with great auto/metering modes.

6316106121_c9a5281c01_z.jpg

I like the Spotmatic's - but considering their age now - most meters are dead and/or dying. The Bessaflex TM was a modern Cosina camera that incorporated several features from the Spotmatic - but with a much brighter finder and regular batteries for the meter. I tend to use it with a 20f4.5 wide and the Super Takumar 50mm f4.0 Macro (and with a f4 as a maximum aperture - the brighter finder does help).

Yes, I had to have my meter reworked, so I'm fine for while. It looks like I have an older 50 Macro than you (probably the same design). But that lens is so nice. I got mine for practically nothing. I didn't even use it for a few years. But when I did; now it is on all the time. As I said before the ST 28mm f3.5 is still one that I really like.

Coming across this thread is timely for me, as my mother just gave me her Spotmatic F (branded Asahi Pentax), plus the SMC Takumar 55/1.8 mentioned in the second post by Noll. I love it, so simple to use, nice viewfinder, everything just works (ok, the mirror failed to return when I was out shooting in frigid weather, but that's hardly the camera's fault... all better now!).

I am really enjoying that lens. In my brother's posession are a Sigma 28/2.8 and Bushnell (yes really) 135/2.8 that go with it, which he's promised to return to me "sometime". :)

In the meantime, here are some shots with the 55/1.8. First roll through it, Agfa Vista Plus 200. Very happy with the results so far.

Ice on crabapple branches - Pentax Spotmatic F, SMC Takumar 55/1.8 by Richard Wintle, on Flickr

St. James Cemetery - Spotmatic F, SMC Takumar 55/1.8 by Richard Wintle, on Flickr

In Memoriam - Spotmatic F, SMC Takumar 55/1.8 by Richard Wintle, on Flickr

Last edited:
I have an Asahi-Pentax SP-500, which was my first screw-mount P-tax, and have since accumulated several Spotmatic bodies, and a very nice Asahi-Pentax SV-1, with working meter.

My SP-500 was my main SLR, replacing my Exakta as a daily shooter.

Smooth, reliable, robust...

A good friend of mine is an antique automotive writer and photographer, and he speaks very fondly of his many Spotmatics... he claims to have actually "worn-out" at three bodies...

They are a great value as a vintage user camera.

I have also Nikons and a Pentax DLSR, but it is always the Spotmatic I return to when I need calm.
The Spotmatic is like a comfort blanket for me.
I learned to take pictures with one of this in the early 80s (bought new by my father in 73) and has been my friend and companion ever since. Al the mechanical noise, the soft touch on everything and the simplicity of the design is awesome.
The lenses are really second to none, and if only Pentax had moved to the K-mount earlier...

Here two images of my Spotmatics:

Spotmatic F with S-M-C Takumar 50mm f/1.4

DSCF0644 von thomas.78 auf Flickr

Spotmatic with Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8

DSCF0643 von thomas.78 auf Flickr

I paid about 16€ for the body and 25€ for the lens, both in almost mint condition.

The 50mm f/1.4 S-M-C Takumar:

Pentax Spotmatic F_S-M-C Takumar 50 1,4_01_Delta 100_011 von thomas.78 auf Flickr

Pentax Spotmatic F_S-M-C Takumar 50 1,4_02_HP5+ 400_022 von thomas.78 auf Flickr

The 28mm f/3.5 S-M-C Takumar:

Pentax Spotmatic F_S-M-C Takumar 28 3,5_01_Delta 100_005 von thomas.78 auf Flickr

You do not get a 28 mm lens as good in LTM for the same price!

The 55m f/1.8 Super Takumar:

Pentax Spotmatic SP_Super Takumar 55 1,8_01_Fomapan 200_021 von thomas.78 auf Flickr

I had five in the late 60`s. Plus 12 Takumar to super multi coated Tak lenses.

They made terrible monochrome prints, tones not good.

I tried a Leica borrowed. Sold off all the Pentax stuff within two months.

Back