ISO 100, images processed with Sigma software
Yokohama, Japan - May 2018

A few more from the same day.

SDIM7763.jpg

Got their guard up.
SDIM7762.jpg

SDIM7768.jpg

SDIM7789.jpg

Keeping their hands where we can see them.
SDIM7794.jpg

Mike,

Nice shots. How do you like the 20mm? I have one on the way and am looking forward to trying it on the SDQH. The AF/M dual switches sounds like it could be interesting for zone focusing as you can sort of lock the lens at a specific focus position.

Thanks,

Shawn

Mike,

Nice shots. How do you like the 20mm? I have one on the way and am looking forward to trying it on the SDQH. The AF/M dual switches sounds like it could be interesting for zone focusing as you can sort of lock the lens at a specific focus position.

Thanks,

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

The Sigma 20mm f1.8 EX DG lens is the equivalent of 26mm on the Sd Quattro H. While it is no longer manufactured by Sigma I still happily use it mainly because the minimum focus distance is 20 cm and of course the fast f1.8 aperture is nice too! So what you have is a fast wide angle macro lens that produces killer images. However auto focus for the older Sigma EX DG lenses on the new Sigma Sd Quattro cameras is (in my opinion) not reliable but that doesn't matter to me because I prefer manual focus in most situations. I never gave much thought to the duel auto/manual focus selector switches since I’m usually in manual and have both set to manual. I never read the manual so I'm probably missing out on some nice benifit.

Mike,

Yup, the 26mm should be nice. I really like 28mm FOV and tend to find 35/40 kind of boring so the slightly wider should be fine.

Not really worried about AF performance as I am using MF most of the time on the Sigma. My 30mm ART lens AF is actually the worst of all of my Sigma lenses. The 50 1.4 EX is much more accurate IME as is the 17-50 2.8 EX.

The benefit I was thinking of is if you set both switches to MF, set your lens to whatever distance you want and then slide the ring back to AF but the switch to MF I think you will be in MF mode and the ring will be decoupled from the lens. So you can't accidentally change your focus distance. Not positive about that yet though as the lens isn't coming till the end of the week.

Thanks,

Shawn

Sigma SD1 Merrill, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG lens
Yokohama, Japan - October 2018

Better days are behind me
SDIM7810.jpg

The unusual suspects
SDIM7830.jpg

It don't look good, better cancel the picnic
SDIM7850.jpg

Mike

IMHO that last one of the purple flowers is particularly nice, Mike!

Thank you, Doug, your comment is much appreciated. I like it too, but I wish I had used a tripod instead of going hand held.

Sigma SD1 Merrill, Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro lens
Yokohama, Japan - July 2019

SDIM8079.jpg

SDIM8093.jpg

SDIM8064.jpg

Mike

Back