Post your foveon DP & SD1m Images

AJS Lamb thank you!

Helen, thanks. I'm sorry for your loss- I can totally feel you, she's only a little over one year old and I can't imagine life without her.

SDIM0060.jpg

DP1s, rediscovered with newest ACR.

Ong, my fiancee asked me some time ago why I want to buy a Merrill, now she know, stunning image I must admit.

Ong, my fiancee asked me some time ago why I want to buy a Merrill, now she know, stunning image I must admit.

No problem, hopefully your minister of finance approves your request to purchase one soon ;)

Anyway, a few more from an impromptu night outing. I mist admit that even with it's limitations of lacking a bulb mode (amongst other things coughISOcough) she does produce great images in low light.

140820 Homebush Wrecks_01 by projekt.aces, on Flickr

140820 Homebush Wrecks_02 by projekt.aces, on Flickr

Shots taken w/ Dp2 Quattro. These are all small raw, which end up as around 22mb files depending on the size of the embedded jpg. Monochrome pics converted using Silver FX Pro 2. Almost all images have some level of cropping between 50-70%. The crop images hold up very well.

_P2Q0284.jpg

_P2Q0282.jpg

_P2Q0280.jpg

_P2Q0277.jpg

_P2Q0272.jpg

Would u believe it has not gotten colder than maybe 59% F and yet they are turning color already?? Today was in the high 70s to low 80s.. Go figure....
_P2Q0238.jpg

Gary

Shots taken w/ Dp2 Quattro. These are all small raw, which end up as around 22mb files depending on the size of the embedded jpg. Monochrome pics converted using Silver FX Pro 2. Almost all images have some level of cropping between 50-70%. The crop images hold up very well.

_P2Q0284.jpg

_P2Q0282.jpg

_P2Q0280.jpg

_P2Q0277.jpg

_P2Q0272.jpg

Would u believe it has not gotten colder than maybe 59% F and yet they are turning color already?? Today was in the high 70s to low 80s.. Go figure....
_P2Q0238.jpg

Gary

Gary, thanks for taking the time to post these. Given the size that can be posted here, its of course pretty much impossible to see any difference between these images and those created by any other modern digital camera. So, can you say anything about what you see on your computer screen or in prints from Quattro images? What separates them from say Sony or Fuji aps-c type images? Thanks.
__ Jamie

Amazing sharpness, detail and color.. Jamie.. Btw I only post 1024x1024. Check the 100% crops that are in the Quattro jpg and raw thread.

The Sigma cameras are full of weird things that will drive people crazy. The dp Merrill and Quattro family will give a 36mp Bayer sensor camera a real run for the money. Where these cameras will beat that Bayer array camera every time is color detail and tone. Dynamic range, the other cameras whether Bayer or xtran has it beat. Af speed, just about everyone has it beat.

I like shooting w/ different cameras, that is just the gear head in me.

The tiff 16 file from Quattro a large raw is 117mb. The large raw Merrill file creates an 88mb tiff 16 file. There is a ton of data in these files. The tiff 16 file from a small raw is still around 46mb.

Gary

Loving the monochrome results I'm seeing from the quattro Gary, though I'm not really sure about the colours coming out from this image. There's just something off about it to me.

Now that u mention it. The reds are a bit off, especially the vine. Thanks Ong..

Gary

DP2 Quattro shots

I am now shooting over 90% in "small raw", these are mainly the extracted JPGs from those RAWs. The jpgs from the Quattro are so good that I really don't need to create TIFF16 files from the RAWs. One of the nice features on the Quattro is the custom setup for AF limit. Since the macro AF limit is from closet to 3ft, I setup a custom which is from 3ft to infinity. The AF is faster than the Merrill. but I have found that by limiting the starting point of the AF closest focus to 3ft, it is a bit faster (before maybe old X100 speed, now around X100 latest fw speed or a bit faster sometimes). I have also discovered that meter reading is about 1 to 1.5 stops darker compared to the Merrill. On the Merrill, I usually used -0.3 to 0 exposure compensation on about everything. For the Quattro, color is 0 to +0.3 and Monochrome is +0.3 to +1. On the Merrill I was using -0.4 on contrast for Monochrome, the Quattro is about the same..

I am not really seeing any real issues with doing 2X TIFF16 output from SPP from the small RAW files (YMMV), so I am going to stick with a default of small raw and use the 2X mode when I need to print big. The other plus for the small raw is that the SD card right is about 50% faster (around 2 seconds vs 5 seconds for Quattro vs 7-8 seconds for Merrill using the fastest SD cards I have).

For me, the upgrade to the Quattro has been well worth it.. The additional functionality has allowed me to use this camera in more situations.. My only real worry is the stupid SD card door.. Only time will tell how well this will really work out.

Anyway here are some shots from last couple of days... Some of the B&W are done w/ silver FX pro 2 and others are ooc jpgs and of course a lot of crops.

gary

_P2Q0410.jpg

_P2Q0418.jpg

_P2Q0420.jpg

_P2Q0435.jpg

_P2Q0447.jpg

_P2Q0448.jpg

_P2Q0457.jpg

_P2Q0471.jpg

_P2Q0487.jpg

_P2Q0489.jpg

_P2Q0492.jpg

Had a chance to visit Portland and Seattle area last week. Took the DP2Q and A7 w/ 35f2.8 FE with me. Here are the DP2Q shots. All monochrome shots were taken using the Monochrome mode on the DP2 and the jpgs extracted from the RAWs straight out of SPP (these are essentially OOC JPGs that are then taken into Aperture for final processing).

Hurricane Ridge at Olympic National Park
_P2Q1184.jpg

Paddle boarders from the pier at Roy's. Nice place to have a happy a relaxing drink on the deck facing the water.
_P2Q1147.jpg

Looking up from the Chihuly glass exhibit one can c the Space Needle
_P2Q1035.jpg

From the Tacoma area
_P2Q0985.jpg

AF is just fast enough for the grab shot as I walked by. They were posing in from of the waterfall and I could not resist a shot of the dog.. One hand while walking by (slight pause just in front of dog) ..quick frame of the LCD and as soon as I had AF lock I shot.
_P2Q0837.jpg

And this is the falls that was the backdrop of their picture..
_P2Q0821.jpg

Gary

Back