Off to Europe, Paris Florence Rome, What would you bring?

My usual city kit is the Bessa R4A+28mm and a Leica with the 50mm. I think you should get the Bessa for the wide angle stuff, get a 25 or better, a 28mm and also get a 50mm- there are lots of cheap options. As for the film, I'd leave Kodachrome at home, as you will have lots of contrast to cope with, and would get a brick of TRI-X plus some Portra 400. You can expose Tri-X from ISO100 to 3200, and develop accordingly later.

I agree with much of what has been said -- even when the comments are in some tension with each other. That still leaves quite a few choices that only you can make. It largely depends on what kind of photography you want to do and what kind of trip you're on.

If you're traveling alone, the choices may be a little different than if you're in company that does not yet understand that photography IS life:D:(

Do you want to be ready for anything? -- then one lens from each of the ranges mentioned (21-24, 35-50, 85-105), with slow and high speed film in color and B&W, and two compatible bodies to deal with different circumstances and unfinished film.

My experience is that trying to manage four kinds of film, three lenses, and two camera bodies often inhibits my shooting. I've found I am more likely to have my camera with me when I have fewer choices from the outset.

If you know what your style of shooting, you can shed one of those lenses.

As far as bodies go, two compatible bodies, as suggested, are good. But I've also found carrying a small P&S with autofocus and auto exposure has really expanded the range of photos I can take and the yield of keepers -- particularly at night. And these cities really present a lot of night shooting opportunities.

Finally, I always regret leaving camera support behind. I've found the Leica tabletop with small ball head very useful -- against body and vertical surfaces, as well as horizontal ones. But there are other supports worth considering.

Can you do two bodies, two lenses, two films, one support and possibly a ND filter? After all, if you find that you have to pass up a lot of photo ops because of your equipment choices, you'll have a good excuse to go back with other equipment choices.;)

Don't pass up Berthillon ice cream in Paris, pass up the Pantheon or Castel Sant'Angelo in Rome, nor a good bistecca Fiorentina in Florence.

In Paris, you walk. Keep that in mind when choosing gear. Film is easy to store, but a myriad of cameras and lenses... not as much.

In any event, Paris should be a beautiful place to photograph. I've been there twice (before my photographic inclinations) and even under the rain, the city is quite beckoning. :)

I agree with much of what has been said -- even when the comments are in some tension with each other. That still leaves quite a few choices that only you can make. It largely depends on what kind of photography you want to do and what kind of trip you're on.

If you're traveling alone, the choices may be a little different than if you're in company that does not yet understand that photography IS life:D:(

Do you want to be ready for anything? -- then one lens from each of the ranges mentioned (21-24, 35-50, 85-105), with slow and high speed film in color and B&W, and two compatible bodies to deal with different circumstances and unfinished film.

My experience is that trying to manage four kinds of film, three lenses, and two camera bodies often inhibits my shooting. I've found I am more likely to have my camera with me when I have fewer choices from the outset.

If you know what your style of shooting, you can shed one of those lenses.

As far as bodies go, two compatible bodies, as suggested, are good. But I've also found carrying a small P&S with autofocus and auto exposure has really expanded the range of photos I can take and the yield of keepers -- particularly at night. And these cities really present a lot of night shooting opportunities.

Finally, I always regret leaving camera support behind. I've found the Leica tabletop with small ball head very useful -- against body and vertical surfaces, as well as horizontal ones. But there are other supports worth considering.

Can you do two bodies, two lenses, two films, one support and possibly a ND filter? After all, if you find that you have to pass up a lot of photo ops because of your equipment choices, you'll have a good excuse to go back with other equipment choices.;)

Don't pass up Berthillon ice cream in Paris, pass up the Pantheon or Castel Sant'Angelo in Rome, nor a good bistecca Fiorentina in Florence.

Be sure to spend a night in Siena or at the very least make a day-trip there. It is a short bus ride from Florence and was one of my favorite parts of Italy.

I recently posted a similar thread, and I like the idea of one body for fast film and another for slow film. I'll be shooting a bit of Kodachrome as well.

If you want a 2nd body for a 50mm, get an R3a or R3m. The R3 viewfinder is perfect for 50mm lenses. You'll be much better off with an R3a + Summicron or ZM Planar than with an M6 and a Jupiter-8. The downside is that the R3s don't have framelines for your 35/2.5.

Speaking of p/s cameras: on my one and only trip to France (late August-early September 1992, staying at Hotel Esmeralda), all I had at my disposal (long, long story) was a Nikon AF 35 I'd given my mother as a Birthday gift a year or two earlier, and which she scarcely touched. I truly pushed that camera to its limits, and came away with a healthy respect for it's capabilities. I'd brought about ten rolls of film, but ended up buying another six roll while there (not cheap, but not quite extortionate for the time...especially compared to now!).

Ironically, the system I have now (pair of Hexar RFs, M-Hex 28/50/90 glass) was built around the idea of traveling relatively light and, post-9/11, relatively hassle-free. Haven't flown abroad with this setup, but we've been to Texas, Missouri, and Florida, and "taking everything" (Domke 803 plus medium-size duffel with all my other necessaries) was rarely a big deal.

I'd probably take my Casio digital with me as well (it's certainly small enough), but, as usual, film rules the day and most of what I do with a camera. To that end, much as I love K'chrome, I'd only carry a few rolls of it, to be used rather strategically, but I'd carry a good deal more of either Kodak E200 'chrome or Portra 160 neg, followed by as much Ilford XP-2 as I could stand carrying. the rest is just making sure all the photo stuff doesn't get in the way of being there.

- Barrett

Last edited:
The lighter you travel the better. I would just take the 35mm and maybe a wider lens and one body. Carry the film in a clear plastic bag in clear containers (like fuji slide containers) with you and pass it around the xray - walk through the screen with you. I always tell customs who say x-rays are safe that I have to pass through 6 in the whole trip and the multiple exposures fogs the film ... they are normally cool.
Just two lenses will make you concentrate on shots and I would also be tempted to stick to one type of film (colour or B&W) - myself i would go for B&W

I always found it best to carry my Iskra when living and travelling around Europe.

Proper sized negatives :p, great lens, no batteries and easy enough to carry around all day. In winter time, I'd load it up with TriX and develop the films in Diafine. In summer, I'd use Neopan 400 and Efke 100.

If I wanted colour as well, I'd take another 6x6 folder with me, or ocassionally I'd drag the Minox 35GT around too.

A fixed lens didn't bother me at all, in fact I think it actually helped more than anything. No temptation to carry extra kit around "just in case".

Comfortable shoes are quite important too, especially for Paris and Rome!

I've been in Paris many times and try to travel light.
Sometimes I only carry a Canonet 17. Last trip I brought a Hassy with 60 and 150mm tree backs and loads of film. Maybe a bit heavy but the pictures are gorgeous.
But most of the times I bring a M7 for B&W, a M6 for slides and 5 lenses, 21, 28, 35, 50, 90. This will fit in a domke 803 and is still comfortable to carry for me.

Cheers,

Michiel Fokkema

Thank you all so much for the great responses. I think I am going to get a 75mm, and I already got a cheap 50.

I wanted to get a fairly inexpensive leica, for the quiet shutter. My bessa makes a pretty noticeable clunking sound when the shutter releases. But I've decided against it, as I really shouldn't be spending that much money on one camera body. I may get a Bessa R3M, anyone have a used one for a good price? Or a 75mm for that matter?

I have had problems with the Kodachrome, as I am not used to shooting with such low speed film. But I am still intrigued by all I've heard about it, and will bring it on my trip.

What film would you recommend for dark situations (inside dark church's etc)?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
If you already have a Bessa R2M, consider another Bessa to go with it. I'm not very familiar with the Voigtlander cameras, but having 2 camera bodies with similar control layouts will be a big help. Don't bring a camera that you have just bought on a holiday trip, as it will take time to get to grips with it and this might result in missed photo opportunities.

I try to travel as light as I can, which usually means one body and 2 lenses: one wideangle in the 24-25mm range and a 50mm. I may take a second body on a longer trip, but usually leave it in the safe at the hotel, to be used as a backup just in case. A two body, two lens set up seems a logical thing to do, but if you are going to use colour film in one camera and black and white film in the other, how are you going to manage your lens choice? You could find yourself constantly changing lenses, as you may find for instance that a particular scene works better in black and white but you happen to have the wide angle lens on the B/W body and you'd rather have the 50mm lens for that particular picture. If you are going to be in these cities for several days, I'd suggest you choose a camera for that day and shoot either colour or black and white. Travelling with too much gear may slow you down and may also not be the best choice if you are travelling with other people who do not share your interest or passion for photography. As for thieves, using common sense usually will be sufficient. Don't walk carelessly with an open camera bag and a unfolded map in your hands, this is the best way to attract attention. Keep your camera gear close to you and never leave it unattended.

Apart from the suggestion about the metro in Paris, you can also use double deck buses. There is the "L'OpenTour" and "Les Cars Rouges". These take you to the most important places to visit and are a good way to discover a new city. I'd take a one day ticket, just get off at the places you find most interesting and get on again when you feel like it. Paris is big city and sometimes there is a large distance between one interesting spot and the next, so you'll have to rely on public transport at times. But as with most cities, take your time to wander off the tourist tracks. At Notre-Dame, cross the river and inspect the book stalls at the other side of the river and the adjoining streets. Go up to Montmartre and stroll through the small streets at the foot of the stairs. By all means get to the upper floor of the Eiffel Tower on a bright sunny day, the views are breathtaking. As suggested above, don't have lunch or a coffee on the Champs Elisees or next to the square at Notre Dame. Paris is expensive, but it doesn't need to be prohibitively expensive. If my memory doesn't betray me, lunch hour is around 1 p.m. Try to figure out where the local people eat on their lunch breaks.

Florence can be done mostly walking. In Rome you may have to rely on public transport to get you to different places.

Take loads of film with you and enjoy.

It would be a criminal waste of time going to Europe without some light Medium format gear. A good quality folder or a TLR would be ideal with a small 35mm and/or digital just to please your travelling pals. Just think of the blow-ups you can do upon your return.

In Rome, try to visit Villa d'Este. It is just a short bus ride away. Bring plenty of film.

http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/lazio/villadeste.html

Last edited:
Back