Pennsylvania NYC April Meet-Up in Philly

Calzone

Gear Whore #1
Local time
4:26 AM
We have a bunch of regulars from Philly, and I don't believe in one sided relationships, so let's have a Meet-Up in Philly.

James (Thambar) is not available the weekend of the 9-10th, and Friday April 15th I have that ICP gig. I figure that late April means nice mild weather, and already there are a handful of New Yorkers wanting to do an overnighter. Let's also try to make this easy for others who want to make it a day trip easy also.

Basically what I'm trying to set up here is a shooting vacation in Philly that is basically an one day overnighter. The layout of the city is "Center City" and it seems that there are several neighborhoods that are either gentrifying or are gentrified surrounding Center City all within walking distance.

Anyways you have to know that Philly has some really rough areas too, and guns are more abundant than in NYC. Let's do some advanced planning.

Cal

Jim tells me that Philly is like NYC in that there are a only a few places to avoid where the crime is kinda concentrated, and those locations we can avoid.

Last time I was in Philly I found that there was this market where I bought porterhouse steaks for no money (raw meat). I ended up bring home mucho steak on the the bus ride home because it was a remarkable deal. Food cost no money in Philly. I might bring one of those cooler bags.

Cal

Basically anything that is a comfortable walk from Center City would be safe during the day. By Center City I mean like Broad and Market (City Hall) and the surrounds. Stay away from North Phila and West Phila. If you are not sure where the boundaries are ask. (For example you def don't want to be anywhere near Temple University which is in North Phila). Some great spots at nite are South Street (east of Broad to the river). Head House, Penns Landing and the Center of the City is fantastic at nite.

Generally anything East or South of Broad and Market would be safe.

BTW the "market referred to is the Italian Market and is a trip in itself. The first Rocky Movie was filmed there along with the Arty Museum of course.

Its a great city for photography and the people love New Yorkers.

Yep, there is also the walk along the river to the Art Museum if the weather is nice.....

Center city - Rittenhouse square area works too.

If its cool I'm interested in attending as Philly is a doable drive for me.

Question for someone that lives in/around Philly: Are there any subway stations/transit stations in the southern/outlining areas that have good/ample parking? That way I can park there and take a subway train into center city.

Mike

Awesome, it will be fun having NYC meet in Philly.
There are a lot of great places to shoot.

Mike, there are the Septa regional rail trains that come in from all over into center city.
They are worth looking into to see which would be best.

Mike, there are the Septa regional rail trains that come in from all over into center city.

Ben,

Thanks Mike

Yes, here's the regional rail map:
http://www.septa.org/maps/system/

The Newark line is probably the one that goes most south, though I'm not familiar with the stations on that line. Generally, though, most stations have commuter parking and on the weekends there should be lots of spots. You'd have to pay for parking at the airport.

The Media and Elwyn lines are also lines you could access coming from the south, though again I don't have a lot knowledge of the parking at the stations on those lines. That said, Media is a nice town and probably a good place to park, and pretty accessible from I-95. You'd need to check the weekend schedules, the trains seem to run pretty infrequently (hourly or longer) on the weekends.

Yes, here's the regional rail map:
http://www.septa.org/maps/system/

The Newark line is probably the one that goes most south, though I'm not familiar with the stations on that line. Generally, though, most stations have commuter parking and on the weekends there should be lots of spots. You'd have to pay for parking at the airport.

The Media and Elwyn lines are also lines you could access coming from the south, though again I don't have a lot knowledge of the parking at the stations on those lines. That said, Media is a nice town and probably a good place to park, and pretty accessible from I-95. You'd need to check the weekend schedules, the trains seem to run pretty infrequently (hourly or longer) on the weekends.

Dean,

Thanks for the info.

Currently planning on parking at the airport as the trains between the Airport and the 30th St Station Run every 30 minutes From just after 5:00 AM to 12:00 AM

Mike
Sat/Sun.

NYC April Meet-up in Philly

NYC April Meet-up in Philly

http://hiddencityphila.org/

Guys, it would be great fun to see you NYC shooters in Philly! above is a link you should look at for various reasons, one Philly is not as dangerous as someone here mentioned. If you're travelling as a group, no-one will bother you, unless you're here for drugs, or messing with some homie's girl(or guy) in some club.

One question is if y'all are going to run about like HCB street shooting, then on Saturday, best area is the(in order of interest)Old City (almost anytime) Italian Market during shopping hours, South street to Penn's Landing (specially near evening and night)

Along the Parkway from Love Park toward Art Museum, lots of silliness(Kodak moments) by the Rocky Statue, circle round back of that bldg for landscape shots. Its a nice long scenic walk or buy a SEPTA Day Pass that gives a bunch of rides on all but Regional rail. So you can do Italian market, ride back to Center City to anywhere (ie:to Art Museum) then finish day on South St/Penn's Landing.

I lived and worked in various areas of the city for most of my life, but for out of country affairs...so I am a bit biased...Enjoy! I'll try to watch progress and add my 10 cents(inflation). Enjoy!

paul

http://hiddencityphila.org/

Guys, it would be great fun to see you NYC shooters in Philly! above is a link you should look at for various reasons, one Philly is not as dangerous as someone here mentioned. If you're travelling as a group, no-one will bother you, unless you're here for drugs, or messing with some homie's girl(or guy) in some club.

One question is if y'all are going to run about like HCB street shooting, then on Saturday, best area is the(in order of interest)Old City (almost anytime) Italian Market during shopping hours, South street to Penn's Landing (specially near evening and night)

Along the Parkway from Love Park toward Art Museum, lots of silliness(Kodak moments) by the Rocky Statue, circle round back of that bldg for landscape shots. Its a nice long scenic walk or buy a SEPTA Day Pass that gives a bunch of rides on all but Regional rail. So you can do Italian market, ride back to Center City to anywhere (ie:to Art Museum) then finish day on South St/Penn's Landing.

I lived and worked in various areas of the city for most of my life, but for out of country affairs...so I am a bit biased...Enjoy! I'll try to watch progress and add my 10 cents(inflation). Enjoy!

paul

Paul,

Thanks for the clarity. While on the internet some listed Philly as a "Murder Capitol" Jim PM me and said that it is basically BS because crime is like in NYC concentrated in a few bad areas.

We are trying to make this so some can do the overnighter, and easy for others to make it a day trip.

The world is not so big I say.

As far as the date I'm kinda leaving this up to our Philly friends. Where in Philly could we meet up.

Also know that at that terminal market prime cuts of meat can be had for no money. I might take home some t-bone steaks or thick prime ribs. I don't understand why food is so inexpensive in Philly compared to New York. I'm talking about Terminal Market.

Cal

Bethanne and I would like to catch up with you on the Sunday or Saturday evening part of the meet-up.
If you're looking for a Puck Fair analogue, Fado on 16th and Locust is the best pint of Guinness in town.
As for places to shoot (cameras) the aforementioned are good. Reading Terminal Market is good for the HCB stuff. I like both Woodland and Mt. Laurel cemeteries for nature. Down on the Schuylkill, on the safety-wire above the falls at the water works are a dozen or so cormorants perched waiting for fish.
If you want to get grittier, the old elevated rail at Spring Garden is a good place to shoot but I don't know about access. It is going to become like the High Line in NYC but is still kind of wild, if I recall correctly.
Philly is really a foodie city... Jim's Steaks, John's Roast Pork, George's, DiNic's roast pork, Lazaro's tomato pie, Isgro's pastries, Frangelli's pastries, Termini's pastries, Ristorante Pesto, August (Italian), and countless Mexican bodegas, carts, trucks and restaurants where you can get better Mexican food than anywhere in NYC. Closest really good Mexican food to NYC is in Jersey City.
I digress.

It will be good to catch up with y'all! I work at Via Bicycle on 9th and South so for Cal and possibly others, you could stop in and see the "museum" of bikes we have. Everything from the late 19th century up to a few new bikes. Mostly mid-20th century Raleigh and Schwinn bikes are our bread and butter. We have some incredible old racing bikes from the 50s-90s.

Ok, I'll stop. we have to get to the grocery store.

Phil Forrest

Bethanne and I would like to catch up with you on the Sunday or Saturday evening part of the meet-up.
If you're looking for a Puck Fair analogue, Fado on 16th and Locust is the best pint of Guinness in town.
As for places to shoot (cameras) the aforementioned are good. Reading Terminal Market is good for the HCB stuff. I like both Woodland and Mt. Laurel cemeteries for nature. Down on the Schuylkill, on the safety-wire above the falls at the water works are a dozen or so cormorants perched waiting for fish.
If you want to get grittier, the old elevated rail at Spring Garden is a good place to shoot but I don't know about access. It is going to become like the High Line in NYC but is still kind of wild, if I recall correctly.
Philly is really a foodie city... Jim's Steaks, John's Roast Pork, George's, DiNic's roast pork, Lazaro's tomato pie, Isgro's pastries, Frangelli's pastries, Termini's pastries, Ristorante Pesto, August (Italian), and countless Mexican bodegas, carts, trucks and restaurants where you can get better Mexican food than anywhere in NYC. Closest really good Mexican food to NYC is in Jersey City.
I digress.

It will be good to catch up with y'all! I work at Via Bicycle on 9th and South so for Can and possibly others, you could stop in and see the "museum" of bikes we have. Everything from the late 19th century up to a few new bikes. Mostly mid-20th century Raleigh and Schwinn bikes are our bread and butter. We have some incredible old racing bikes from the 50s-90s.

Ok, I'll stop. we have to get to the grocery store.

Phil Forrest

Phil,

Welcome back looking forward to this trip and seeing both you and Bethanne.

Cal

No movement on this possible Philadelphia meeting/trip?
Y'all should come down during the Democratic National Convention this summer! It's going to be swealtering and considering the lunacy in the race so far, it will probably be a grand dog and pony show. Who knows, maybe I'll receive a nomination!

Phil Forrest

No movement on this possible Philadelphia meeting/trip?
Y'all should come down during the Democratic National Convention this summer! It's going to be swealtering and considering the lunacy in the race so far, it will probably be a grand dog and pony show. Who knows, maybe I'll receive a nomination!

Phil Forrest

Phil,

I've been sidetracked printing up a storm with my Epson 7800 for the ICP Symposium that is going to happen this Friday.

I intend on setting a Meet-Up in Philly soon, and it will happen.

This year will be a big year for riding. I'm about to order a new Ti bar to complete my bike.

Cal

Basically anything that is a comfortable walk from Center City would be safe during the day. By Center City I mean like Broad and Market (City Hall) and the surrounds. Stay away from North Phila and West Phila. ...

Generally anything East or South of Broad and Market would be safe.

BTW the "market referred to is the Italian Market and is a trip in itself. The first Rocky Movie was filmed there along with the Arty Museum of course.

Its a great city for photography and the people love New Yorkers.

Yes, stay away from West Philly, you might run into ME. ;-)

Tons of places to walk, a bar respite I would suggest is Tattooed Mom on South Street: http://tattooedmomphilly.com/

A bit divier than Puck Fair, but nice atmosphere. South street has lots to see, can swing south to the market.

Randy

Back