Monopod walking stick

I have a neat Gitzo monopod on which I have just a swivel in one plane Manfrotto RC234 head. It can be quite comfortable as a walking stick and the Hasselblad snaps on it at the walking height with the quick release plate. I followed Ernst Wildi’s advice and use the monopod sloping towards me. That is the way to get the camera still on a monopod, your legs the other two props to make a tripod. Added to 1/60s or faster you can get a very sharp image. Much slower will give serviceable shots depending on subject.

I have a Gitzo monopod that collapses pretty small. I'll have to check the model number. I've used it with my Fujifilm GX680IIIs and it's helped a lot. The other smaller one I've owned is the Manfrotto 680b that was mentioned. Also very compact as well. Both monopods are not too heavy. My wading staff for fly fishing is a Fishpond Slipper Rock. Light weight. Collapses pretty small, and has a small cork ball on top that has the threaded bolt to attach a camera to. I've never used it as a monopod since I don't take heavy large cameras fishing, but it's out there and acts as a nice walking staff.

I also have a Gitzo, there was a sticker that fell off loong time ago, so no clue about the model#. It's classic Gitzo hammerton look, pretty heavy, solid stuff. I could you it for self defense as well.:rolleyes:
For a Leica M I rarely used it at all, a couple of times I carried it along strapped onto my bag but then ending up not actually needing it. Oh yeah there was a night out shooting in NYC when I used it occasionally but then leaning against a wall typically yielded enough support to steady the shot. I guess I'm not much of a tri-mono pod guy.:D

Anyway ... Gitzo = solid stuff

Years ago I found that lugging a Gitzo 3 series tripod with a Gitzo ball head was sometimes an overkill. I bought a Gitzo monopod. I still have it and, for me, combines the best of both worlds. Camera stabilization plus a walking stick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I've had a couple of trekking poles with camera mounts under the (removeable) grip, but even at full extension they were too short to reach a comfortable eye level. If you need stability, there ain't no substitute for a proper tripod, but then I lug a tripod up mountains.

I bought a two-section Benbo monopod years ago when I was working and living on the Gulf of Mexico. It was great to use in the sand and up to three feet of water without getting sand or water in the pod. I still have the pod but have not used it since retiring in 2012.

I bought a walking stick at the Grand Canyon visitor center years ago that was a simple walking stick with a round knob for your hand. The leg had small ball centered detents to adjust the length. The wood knob would unscrew to reveal the 1/4" thread to mount a camera. Unfortunately I lost it a year or two ago and have been unable to find a like for like replacement. I liked the style because it was predominately a normal looking walking stick and very lightweight. For those times I needed to reach above a crowd's heads or maybe just need a little support it was perfect. I've never seen a dedicated camera monopod that I would want to use on a hike.

The walking stick with tripod screw is easy to find at an outdoor outfitter store, like REI, Outback, or the Alpine Shop in St. Louis. I have two. One of them is called "The Chief Of Staffs!"

Monopods are too heavy to use as a walking stick.

I have a heavy duty cullmann which I use for hiking. I dont put too much pressure on it as its really just to stop me wobbling. Bad knee. You can get a ball to fit on top of a monopod, i have one but I prefer to leave it as it is. I wrapped a piece of leather round the top, glued and bound it. Its a comfy grip and the pod collapses up nicely. I put loops on it for a shoulder strap, i wear it bandolier style, comfortably across my back. I have a small ball and socket head and I normally leave my compact on it.

kPN8ko8.jpg

Thanks all! Now the hiking shops have largely re-opened, I can have a good look at what is available in the UK (sadly much less than in the good old USA).

I bought a walking stick at the Grand Canyon visitor center years ago that was a simple walking stick with a round knob for your hand. The leg had small ball centered detents to adjust the length. The wood knob would unscrew to reveal the 1/4" thread to mount a camera. Unfortunately I lost it a year or two ago and have been unable to find a like for like replacement. I liked the style because it was predominately a normal looking walking stick and very lightweight. For those times I needed to reach above a crowd's heads or maybe just need a little support it was perfect. I've never seen a dedicated camera monopod that I would want to use on a hike.
I bought a walking stick in an outdoor outfitter store that is so similar to Beemermark's description, it may be the same one. Mine is branded as "Tracks" "Compact Traveler." And boasts it's "Proudly recommended by the National Audubon Society." A small ball head, like the Leitz Ball Head, is a worthwhile addition. The height adjustment on mine allows about a six inch height differential, useful for both camera height and convenient walking stick length. It folds into three sections of unequal length, which is a bit clumsy, and the nylon carrying strap is of not much value for keeping those sections snugged together. Velcro would have helped. Aside from that inconvenience, it's good!

My two cents: I have a quality monopod with a ball head attached but find it fairly useless in stabilizing the camera. I would not buy one again.
I find a monopod pretty good for stabilizing the camera. It won't immobilize the camera in all three axes of motion, but it will prevent up-and-down displacement, and is rigid against up-and-down tilt and lateral tilt. This leave the photographer to guard against lateral displacement and front-to-back displacement. Not good enough for a one-second time exposure, maybe; but it can make enough difference for a 1/30, 1/15, or 1/8 shot. Maybe even at 1/4 second.

I use a Manfrotto monopod too. No idea what model it is, but it extends to about 1.8m and is as sturdy as hell. But it is not too heavy and works well as both a monopod and as a walking stick. I do usually use it when street shooting unless using say a 180mm lens, or when light is poor and I need to otherwise hand hold using long speeds (but this is admittedly not so important now given the high ISOs available with modern digital cameras) but I like it a lot when I know I will be trudging up and down hills in the country and need a bit of extra help. A quick lock mount with a mounting plate on the camera works great when photos are required.

Charles, a hiking pole with a camera attachment would have better balance for walking than trying to use a monopod as a walking stick.
Here's one for example:

Another:

Reactions: dct
Ernst Wildi in his Hasselblad Manual extolls the virtues of hte monopod, and exhorts users to use it with the foot out in front and the camera and top of the monopod close into the photographer, creating a tripod of his/her two legs and the monopod. It works, especially when using the waist level finder of the Hasselblad. I have a Manfrotto one plane pivot head used in the pitch plane. It seems more stable than a ball head and quicker to operate. The head is then a nice surface for my palm if I want it as a walking stick.

It's necessary for me to use a cane to get around. I have a monopod but I find it silly to try and use a monopod to stabilize the camera while I use a cane to stabilize myself.

I've used one of those hiking sticks with the knob end that converts itself to a camera mount. Pretty good walking stick, lousy camera support.

You would have to find one used but the Induro GIM505XL is very strong, I've used it as a walking stick while hiking a few times. Maybe a little heavy for long treks though. More often I carry it on my shoulder with the camera attached. It is also very tall when fully extended, around 81". I'm 6'5" so the height of the monopod is very handy on uneven ground or when putting the foot out in front as Richard mentioned for more stability. I use a bowl head on mine which has less motion than a ball head but it seems stronger than a small ball head and limits flopping around, can't shoot portrait with it though. I printed a belt hook to make carrying it easier.

IMG_4297.jpg
IMG_4298.jpg
IMG_4299.jpg

Field Optics Research sells several models of carbon fiber trekking poles and hand grips with 1/4-20 threads that can be used as monopods.

Back