Monopod walking stick

Local time
6:39 PM
Not me getting older than I currently feel, but I was out on Dartmoor the other day with cameras and a small tripod, and to be honest it was a real PITA lugging it round for support a monopod would more sensibly give, and the terrain called for a stick of some sort.

It therefore struck me that a monopod walking stick (more Nordic walking style) would be a great compromise. There are several around - any body with a good recommendation, or indeed negative experiences?

Reactions: dct
My two cents: I have a quality monopod with a ball head attached but find it fairly useless in stabilizing the camera. I would not buy one again.

I'd look at a real monopod; with a walking stick, you're stuck at one height which isn't even a very comfortable one.

I recently bought an iFootage Cobra 2 monopod for use with my Ricoh Theta V and have found it to be an excellent monopod. It has little legs that can flip down to enable it to stand on its own, plus it has a large rubber tip on the bottom that I could possibly see as being put to use as a kind of walking stick (it unscrews, so you might be able to replace it with a spike). It is extremely well made, though of course it isn't the 'Nordic' style you had in mind.

Long ago I successfully used a home made one. It was simply a length of aluminum tube with a crutch tip on the bottom. The top had a short length of wooden dowel that fit inside the tube and held in place by a wood screw. I drilled a hole lengthwise through the dowel and inserted a stove bolt the same size as a tripod screw (1/4-28?) so that it protruded just enough to screw into the camera base plate.

Select the diameter of the aluminum tube to fit your hand when used as a walking stick and wall thickness to give you the balance of rigidity / weight you want. Trim the length to what fits you comfortably standing up and shooting. I found a good selection of Al tubes at a hardware store.

Not elegant but very low cost functional as a monopod as well as sturdy walking stick

I am 79yo and my wheels are not the best. I have a Gitzo Monopod with a small ballhead that also serves as a walking stick. It is extremely helpful for steading my camera/lens combo as well as myself.

I use the Manfrotto 3245 with a little Manfrotto 3009 ball head. Trigger release to adjust height quickly is a real plus.

I use a Manfroto 680B with small Sirui ballhead & plate. Mount the camera when time to shoot. Not the best solution, but it works for me.

Attachments

• Crop web.jpg
    Crop web.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 8
I also have a traditional collapsible monopod. It supports a camera well. But I certainly would not rely on it to support my body in a challenging situation.

A sturdier alternative to the monopod. Just not as convenient to carry as a collapsed monopod hung over your shoulder. Made from a piece of driftwood I found on a beach.

Attachments

• web.jpg
    web.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 15
I have a leki sierra trekking pole made for photography as well, and it works well as a trekking stick and ok as a monopod. Adjustable height. Unfortunately just discontinued. They also make an adapter for their other poles.

I bought a walking stick at the Grand Canyon visitor center years ago that was a simple walking stick with a round knob for your hand. The leg had small ball centered detents to adjust the length. The wood knob would unscrew to reveal the 1/4" thread to mount a camera. Unfortunately I lost it a year or two ago and have been unable to find a like for like replacement. I liked the style because it was predominately a normal looking walking stick and very lightweight. For those times I needed to reach above a crowd's heads or maybe just need a little support it was perfect. I've never seen a dedicated camera monopod that I would want to use on a hike.

I use a Trek Pod by TrekTech. I have the original version and have been quite happy with it. It has gone up in price substantially since i bought mine You might be able to find a used one for reasonable. The magnetic ball head is quite secure. The shaft is as steady as most monopods and has a comfortable cork grip with a rubber cane tip. Weighs about the same as a heavy oak walking stick.

Don't trust a monopod as a walking stick. Even my beefy Bogen 3249 will yield when putting weight on it. I also have a smaller Bogen mentioned above and I'd be concerned about getting impaled with it if I fell and it broke, which seems likely.

I think you'd be better getting a walking stick that can also be used as a monopod.

Don't trust a monopod as a walking stick. Even my beefy Bogen 3249 will yield when putting weight on it. I also have a smaller Bogen mentioned above and I'd be concerned about getting impaled with it if I fell and it broke, which seems likely.

I think you'd be better getting a walking stick that can also be used as a monopod.

So it looks like adapted trekking pole / walking stick is the best way ahead.

Thanks all, insanely useful as always!

I have a Manfrotto 685B. Easy to extend one-hand/one-foot to a max height of 1.7m, easily collapsed one-handed when you want to but safely locked when you don't, has a combination rubber foot with spike, and is rated for a camera up to 8kg in weight (but will take my not-inconsiderable body weight without yielding).

It's no ultralight wonder-wand but if you need a monopod that will carry anything, will survive anything, that is quick and easy to use, and that can be used to fight off the Beast of Dartmoor, then this is well worth a look.

Back