Let's see those Quattro Photos :D

Quick snap today(ISO 400).

SPP 6 is a bit slower than SPP 5.5 but I can deal with it. Only wish Sigma will add a flippy screen on the next model. Still loving the 21:9 format.

Anyone using flash with their Quattro? Gary, EastNeuk?
Sigma EF-140S Electronic Flash or
Metz mecablitz 20 C-2 Auto Flash

The last photo in that set is gorgeous, Gary. The third is nice, but it's pushing the limits of the camera in that blown out sky, isn't it?

Dp2 Quattro shots. All OOC JPGs w/ my normal Aperture default script applied.

_P2Q0866.jpg

_P2Q0881.jpg

_P2Q0902.jpg

Gary

So, how are you folks getting along with the Quattro physically? Specifically, the grip? General handling?

I pretty well adapted to the handling w/in the first 2-3 days if I remember correctly.

W/ the Merrill cameras I needed an rrs grip for two reasons
- the grip and
- the extra weight to help dampen things during shutter release since I normally do not use a tripod
The Quattro is heavy enough, I don't need to look for more weight. The grip does help IMHO in terms of wrist angle and use of the LCD.

I think small to medium size hands should be ok w/ the grip. I suspect that even larger hands maybe ok. The way the front is designed, longer finger should not feel the crimping effect of needing a larger grip, since the fingers can spread over the front of the body. The weight is heavy enough that I don't need to put on an rrs bottom plate for it. Anyway ymmv on both ehe grip and weight.

It fits into my everyday carry bag, turnstyle 10 w/o problems.. It goes in vertical w/ lens axis along the length of the turnstyle 10.

I tend to use a wrist strap and carry the Quattro in two ways
- the normal by the grip approach
- by the body, palm down on the front of the longer section of the body

I still hate the sd card door :(. Stupid design. After all these months, sometime I still open the battery compartment mention looking the sd card.

Gary

Forgot to mention...

The dynamic range is still not up to snuff compared to today's cameras. If u print large stay w/ the Merrill cameras and want that fine per pixel detail. Large raw on the Quattro depending on the subject matter, u can c some Bayer like interpretation error.

I should small raw over 90% of the time.. This creates a pseudo 1-1-1 very similar to the Merrill at the cost of small picture (5mp) similar to the pre-Merrill cameras in terms of output.

Gary

Inside an abandoned gas station near Palm Desert Trail.. OOC JPG w/ my normal Aperture default changes.

_P2Q0945.jpg

Gary

Gary, the last four b&w photos are pretty amazing as far as texture and detail and apparent dynamic range. I am very impressed.

I suppose that film will be a bit more forgiving than digital for quite awhile longer. But when you get it right, it doesn't look dissimilar to film with its own special clarity.

Gary, the last four b&w photos are pretty amazing as far as texture and detail and apparent dynamic range. I am very impressed.

I suppose that film will be a bit more forgiving than digital for quite awhile longer. But when you get it right, it doesn't look dissimilar to film with its own special clarity.

Thanks... Film to me has a smoother tonal range then anything I have seen from the digital side (especially if u are doing enlarger work).

Gary

Gary, I particularly like the roofing tiles. It's an attractive and also an engaging image.

Here in the frozen tundra, all I have to take picture of is snow:

i-KPPG9NJ-X3.jpg

i-Bd6WGvZ-X3.jpg

Thanks EastNeuk.. Man, it looks cold out there. :( U need a trip to a warmer climate..:) the last shot makes me want to stand by the fireplace.

Gary

Back