Let's see those Quattro Photos :D

GaryLH

Mentor
Local time
2:15 PM
As a result of the thread that Keith started...

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=146290

I decided that the Quattro needs a separate thread.. I maybe the only RFF member w/ a Quattro..Not sure..over time I hope others will join this picture thread. :D

Unless I state otherwise, all shots are done in small RAW. This gives the best color accuracy since the sensor is setup in a pseudo 1-1-1 (RGB) as opposed to large RAW which is 4-1-1 (4 blues for every green and read). I do not blow up big and thus small RAW suites me just fine. If I need to blow up big, I really don't mind using the 2X output mode of SPP or just reset to large RAW. IMHO, the color accuracy of large RAW may not be as good as the Merrill or as good as small RAW, it is still better in most cases than the color accuracy of your standard Bayer array sensor output.

I currently use my Merrill cameras for landscape work and the DP2 Quattro for more general work...

Anyway all the shots in this thread from me are from the DP2 Quattro with mainly Aperture manipulated OOC JPGs (Quattro OOC jpgs are superior to Merrill OOC jpgs - almost night and day difference). Exported from Aperture in 1024x1024 max size setting.

Gary

I'll start this thread off by pulling my Quattro pics from the various Foveon threads here.....

Some of these shots like the ones of the cats are cropped around 40% to get rid of the kennel bars at the SPCA. Most of these shots have some level of cropping.

Gary

_P2Q0379.jpg

_P2Q0364.jpg

_P2Q0343.jpg

_P2Q0328.jpg

_P2Q1308.jpg

_P2Q1259.jpg

_P2Q1257.jpg

_P2Q1251.jpg

_P2Q1191.jpg

_P2Q0489.jpg

_P2Q0487.jpg

_P2Q0457.jpg

Thanks Gary ... these are all good. The monos seem a little more contrasty than the Merrill equivalents.

Yeah.. I think u are right.. I'll check what the Aperture version looks like. Could be google plus doing some additional post processing..or me just not noticing :(

Gary

Btw. The b&w shot of the kids helping w/ the Halloween window decorations... I don't think I could have gotten it w/ a dp2 Merrill. The af lock would have been slow. I walked by those kids and decided it would make a good shot. Turned around just as the kids noticed and they smiled just as I got af lock.

Af speed of the Quattro is twice as fast as the Merrill, but still slower than the Sony a7...

Gary

Monochrome mode is definitely different on the Quattro Keith. I know I mentioned this in my initial impressions thread. I actually forgot done of it (old age).

- in mono Quattro is missing the saturation control.
-- on my Merrill, for mono I have -4 for contrast and -2 for saturation
- the exposure comp is set for 0 but on the Quattro, I need to set it to +1, otherwise I loose blacks fast.
- contrast is set to -6 on the Quattro as opposed to -4

Some of the higher contrast shots here were before I figured a lot of this out...but some of the others still have a bit more bite in the contrast then my Merrill did. I'll experiment w/ lowering the contrast in Aperture..

Now that I think about it... I wonder if it is the Quattro jpg engine. I'll play w/ around w/ some raws to c.

Gary

Love that second to the last shot of the trees and snow.. Keep them coming.. I don't feel so lonely anymore, there are other rff Quattro users out there :)

Gary

Love that second to the last shot of the trees and snow.. Keep them coming.. I don't feel so lonely anymore, there are other rff Quattro users out there :)

Gary

Thanks, Gary. I enjoyed your set, especially the two of the rusting car. Thanks for getting the thread going.

Yummy Good that Quattro output

Love what You do with Color Gary... And Those snow shots are Divine 'Eastneuk'

Thanks Gary ... these are all good. The monos seem a little more contrasty than the Merrill equivalents.

Did some playing around today. The jpg engine vs the raw shot monochrome vs raw shot color and converted to b&w via silver fx pro 2.

- the Quattro jpg engine has slightly more contrast then a tiff 16 from the same file using default settings
- spp 6.1 can provide a gentler contrast that will bring back more tonal range if required by using the contrast slider
- spp 6.1 mono conversion creates a file pretty close to the one from the Merrill (Merrill monochrom files from me have always gone thru spp to tiff 16 anyway)
- using the contrast slider in aperture, I can also fix the contrast difference in the jpg, but going thru the tiff 16 output of spp gives me more control
- the ooc color jpg converted to b&w via provides a less contrasty image then the ooc mono jpg as well

Gary

Back