let us talk street...

Where did any of us condone this behavior? We just simply stated that we have known people that have done it... I haven't done it myself.

Good Point John,
However it Just seems to veer off course / pun intended as in 'coarse' behaviour, sexual intercourse

How does carrying a camera, women on campus, ugly George
Really fit into the Grand Scheme of 'let us talk street' , Street Photography

I will bow out Gracefully and let the boys go at it ;)

Please don't close te Thread .... Or need of moderation
Just expressing a Feminine POV

Really fit into the Grand Scheme of ! let us talk street' Street Photography

I guess, despite his obvious goal outside of photography / videography, he was using a camera in public on the streets.

We got off topic, but we will go back to the topic and leave George behind. Sorry Helen.

Where did any of us condone this behavior? We just simply stated that we have known people that have done it... I haven't done it myself and those that do it are not my hero in any form.

Ugly George was no hero of mine, that's for sure. I was making a point. A long stretch I might add, to someone's comment on ones use of gear. It was by no means to be guttural.

No pun intended.

Good Point John,
However it Just seems to veer off course / pun intended as in 'coarse' behaviour, sexual intercourse

Really fit into the Grand Scheme of 'let us talk street' , Street Photography

I will bow out Gracefully and let the boys go at it ;)

Please don't close te Thread .... Or need of moderation
Just expressing a Feminine POV

And a feminine PoV is invaluable in the very macho world of modern street photography.

dont know if this particular thread is alive or not but we don't seem to be getting any closer to figuring out wether a street photography forum is a possibility

Some technical knowledge helps too. Trying to be accepted by bunch which likes UWA shots with yours 50mm prime isn't easiest approach, for example :)

You're reading things far too literally. Unless of course you're a prime example of what I was getting at- people hung up with the technical details and not the artistic content?

dont know if this particular thread is alive or not but we don't seem to be getting any closer to figuring out wether a street photography forum is a possibility

you must have missed stephen's post...it's a go with more info to follow soon.

You're reading things far too literally. Unless of course you're a prime example of what I was getting at- people hung up with the technical details and not the artistic content?

It isn't my fault to know people and gear little bit more.
Cheers, Ko.

10 years later, and this is still the gold standard for street photography:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/onthestreet/pool/

I find in almost all discussions about SP, the sample images are all very far from whats happening in HCSP. Many aim for the perceived look of the 'street' image before the content which is where they lack some of that intrinsic power of a good street photo.

When I started with photography in 2007, I used a Canon EOS-3, TriX and 50mm lens...and was heavily influenced by HCSP...I wanted nothing more than to have a photo accepted there. I never quite made it, and even though I had some nice gritty tones and noir-ish stuff going on, the images were pretty lifeless.

I no longer aim to take street photos. I get extremely inspired browsing the HCSP pool, but that fades the moment I get out there and realise a really exceptional street photo is almost impossible and the odds are stacked against me finding one.
No offence to you personally but I have always found the HCSP group on flickr cheap. To me that is totally what is wrong with the term street photography.

The discussion I have been reading here is what is right about the term. To me street photography is very broad. It can be documentary, photographing people, light & shadow, etc. etc. Doesn't really have to include people in ones subject. The subject doesn't have to be a bustling new York City or Chicago street either. It can be an Art Fair, Joe's farmer's market or Whyte Ave.

I know that I have let 'not living in a big city' think that I can't do street photography. I've realised I just need to go about & document my surroundings & that is what I have begun to do.

Hello, Greg! Nice description! I've always wondered why "street photography" had to be photographs of people you did not know--unless there were very unusual circumstances involved...
Thanks!
Paul

Back