let us talk street...

I've used TLRs, folding rollfilm, Fuji GS645 rangefinder, MF & 35mm SLRs, 35mm rangefinders, compacts (inc APS), and digital. And my smartphone.

street shooting that is...

i wonder how many of us work under an illusion of sorts?
i consider myself to be primarily a street shooter...but i don't think many people see me as such.
my name never comes up when we talk street, no one refers to me as a street shooter...
i look at my images on flickr and my blog and see street photographs...not all or only street images but enough for folks to notice...at least i think so!
granted, i like street scenes that have no or few people in them (not all though) and i can see where that might lead to a disconnect of sorts...

what about you?
in the same boat?
how do you see yourselves?

I am kind of in the same boat. Most of my photos I take on the street while roaming various countries which I pretty much constantly do. It much feels like doing 'street photography' but I suppose that someone viewing my photos wouldn't see me as a street photographer and by what I believe its going definition was I'd agree with them. They could get labeled as travel or social documentary photography.

Labels are very practical, categorization makes things more easily recognizable. If your photography is seen to fall into a certain generally accepted category you exclusively stick to, than, I believe, it will be viewed with more attention and respect.

Labels, categories are luring but in my stage of doing photography certainly I would not want to subject myself to the limitations they imply. Limiting oneself is dedicating oneself fully, that certainly may lead to higher quality, more depth that earn the extra attention, but I wouldn't know ;)

Many years ago, there used to be a character that worked the street here in NYC. He carried a huge video camera, with an equally huge power pack on his back covered in tinfoil, and had a show on fledgling cable TV. He was hard to miss. His name was Ugly George. He would stop beautiful women on the street, interview them, and continue his "interview" back in his studio. Invariably he would end up having sex with them ( not shown in its entirety". These women were from all stations in life. How did he do this and how would women fall for him again and again and again?

Why am I mentioning this? He carried a huge camera and backpack. He did his "street" thing, or whatever one would want to call it.

He got his desired results.

Many years ago, there used to be a character that worked the street here in NYC. He carried a huge video camera, with an equally huge power pack on his back covered in tinfoil, and had a show on fledgling cable TV. He was hard to miss. His name was Ugly George. He would stop beautiful women on the street, interview them, and continue his "interview" back in his studio. Invariably he would end up having sex with them ( not shown in its entirety". These women were from all stations in life. How did he do this and how would women fall for him again and again and again?

Why am I mentioning this? He carried a huge camera and backpack. He did his "street" thing, or whatever one would want to call it.

He got his desired results.

When I was in college, I had a friend tell me his secret to success with women.

If you go up to ten random girls on campus and say, "Hey baby, wanna f--k?" nine of them will turn you down. Some of them will scream and cuss at you, some will send their boyfriends after you, and some will kick you in the balls. BUT, one will f--k you. She makes it all worth it.

Maybe that was Ugly George's method? They presumably only showed his successes on the show, right? Also, he was famous and that makes a difference too.

Chris is right on point... I've known many guys who use this "tactic" successfully. Doesn't work for those of us who are shy, don't like rejection, or actually respect the opposite sex.

Cheap 'potty' talk is All I have to say ....
Shooting street is not as vulgar as some of the Discusion here :eek:
The luck of some, the do's & don'ts of scoring/ f*cking as some may like to 'phrase' it
and us Poor women categorized & caricatured

The luck of some, the do's & don'ts of scoring/ f*cking as some may like to 'phrase' it and us Poor women categorized & caricatured

Where did any of us condone this behavior? We just simply stated that we have known people that have done it... I haven't done it myself and those that do it are not my hero in any form.

Where did any of us condone this behavior? We just simply stated that we have known people that have done it... I haven't done it myself.

No one did. Someone mentioned "Ugly George" and wondered how he was able to get women to sleep with him ON TELEVISION. That reminded me of something a friend in college told me. I never took his advice. I was one of those guys who had too much respect for women to do that.

Back