Jupiter-3 Close Focus Mod

Nice results, Brian. Now if you can make Canon "Sonnar" 50/1.5 focus closer - THAT I would love to see. I too did a mod on a Nikkor LTM 5cm/1.4 a while back and it made it for a much more versatile lens. See here :
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73271

I wonder if there is a way to do the same for a Canon 50/1.5?
Skyllaney will modify the Canon 50/1.5 for close-focus. This involves machining out an internal groove, much like the one shown here- but far deeper in the mechanism.

Found them- from 2009. Very embarrassing. I'm much neater now with years of filing experience. But- it worked.

dsc00031.jpgj3_focus_groove.jpgj3_normal_mod.jpg

azalia1_f15.jpgbee1_f15.jpgfaded_blossom2.jpg

I still have this lens- but did a little swapping around. In put a 1950 J-3 into this mount, after setting the focal length to the Leica standard. Then put the 1956 KMZ J-3 in another LTM mount.

Skyllaney will modify the Canon 50/1.5 for close-focus. This involves machining out an internal groove, much like the one shown here- but far deeper in the mechanism.
I have performed this modification successfully after seeing it being done by Skyllaney. It's possible as a DIY project if you know your way around vintage LTM lenses and have the correct tools. You need a set of very good and precise diamond files, since you have to file away a substantial amount of brass. Also you need to know when to stop, because if you go too far the structural integrity of the lens, i.e., the rf cam, is in danger. If you bend it, the lens will forever be off.

Back