I'm back

FrankS

Local time
10:44 PM
...from holidays. It's been years and years of fiscal responsibility, but I'm now tasting the fruit of my labour. My wife and kids and I just returned from 20 days in England, 7 days in southern France, and 3 days in Paris. It is 4:50am Paris time as I write this at 10:50pm Toronto time, but I'm not so tired after a long day of travel.

Everything went very well, and I'm most satisfied with the trip. Saw lots of neat stuff, mostly really old stuff. (The Rosetta Stone at the British museum was particularly significant.)

I took lots of cameras (5) and lots of film, and took lots of pictures. There were times when photographic opportunities were foresaken in the name of family unity and happiness, but I've had my share of sights.

I'll begin a gallery once results become available. I took just over 20 rolls of 35mm colour neg film (100 asa Fuji-something-drugstore stuff), just over 20 rolls of 35mm HP5+, and just over 20 rolls of 120 HP5+.

I was happy with my gear choice, deciding some times to go out for walks with just 1 camera, leaving the rest behind, and sometimes taking it all. Yes, it was heavy.

I found that I used my Summaron 35mm lens most often (in 35mm format). The grass really is greener, photographically speaking, in Europe compared to N.A., at least it was for me.

England was great, southern France was charming, and Paris was, in the immortal words of Lawrence Welk (or was it Ed Sullivan), Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

Paris is the land of wine, cheese, bagettes (sp?), and motorscooters. It is about the only place on our planet where you can look smart driving one of those tiny 2 seater smart cars.

I'll add more thoughts in the comming days. Time for some wine to end the night.

Thanks! It is funny that after what I'd heard and read about snooty people in Paris, that's where we met some of the nicest people, and the rudest person we met on our entire trip was our Canadian cab driver who drove us home from the airport just a few hours ago.

I hope you had a magical time in Paris; I know the two trips I've made have been nothing but success.
I look forward to seeing pictures from your view of the city.

Sounds like my experience, Frank. After so many years of hearing how rude French people are, Parisians (and many other French people) turned out the kindest, warmest souls ever. Talk about joie de vivre[/]!!

But then, who won't have it when living surrounded by good cheese, good wine and good coffee? :confused: I would.

Did you meet with Roger and Frances? :confused: Or did I misunderstand that part of your thread? Did you have a ploughman's lunch? Were bitters really manly? Did you meet men drinking lager in London? :)

Welcome back! :)

We're expecting pictures, Frank.... get crackin' on the processing... :)
Glad you had a wonderful trip - I miss sitting by the Seine with a baguette, salami, fruits and a drink just marveling the beauty of the Notre Dame... aahhhhhh....

The grass really is greener, photographically speaking, in Europe compared to N.A., at least it was for me.

You eyes had lots of new stuff to see and explore. Sounds like they lead you on an adventure.

Welcome back.

Hi guys. I did meet up with Roger and Francis. They graciously drove out of their way on their trip to Spain in order to meet up with me in southern France. I was most honoured that they would do this. They are an extremely warm and interesting couple with a wealth of experience in photography and travel and life. "Meeting" the way we do here on RFF over a keyboard and through a monitor, is clearly inferior to meeting personally, face to face. Roger and Francis are lovely folks that I was fortunate to meet this way.

The colour neg film will be commercially processed, but for the B+W film, does anyone in the Toronto area have an 8 reel Patterson developing tank? Peter?

Hi Blake. Travelling is a great experience that everyone should try to do if possible. Forget that new piece of gear you're interested in. It won't make you a better photographer. Invest in your eyes/vision by travelling.

A LANGUAGE BARRIER IS A WONDERFUL BRIDGE. (between people)

So, while we're waiting for the results, here are pics of what I took:

I only shot 1 roll of 220 colour neg film in the GS, but it was there also as a backup to the main 120 B+W camera. The Tvs was for 35mm colour neg film. The Hexar RF with 35f3.5 Summaron and IIf with Canon 28f3.5 and mini-finder, both had B+W film, but having both often saved me from changing lenses in the field. On back to back rear caps, there are a CV40f1.4 for speed, and a Brian Sweeney CZJ 50f2 in ltm.

I averaged about 2 rolls of film per day.

If I had to, I could have done the trip with just the Summaron and a single body. Once I get around to printing, I'll be able to say if the MF gear was worth the weight.

Attachments

• camera 002 (Medium).jpg
    camera 002 (Medium).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 0
  • camera 003 (Medium).jpg
    camera 003 (Medium).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 0
  • camera 001 (Medium).jpg
    camera 001 (Medium).jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Welcome home Frank. I'm really looking forward to your images, particularly the 120 stuff (as I've had very little success travelling with MF gear).

A LANGUAGE BARRIER IS A WONDERFUL BRIDGE.
Dear Frank,

You are a wonderful source of stealable quotes -- that and 'Film brings you closer to God'. It was great to meet you too. Now that they are looking back on it, are your son and daughter still 'bored'?

Cheers,

R.

Hi Roger, thanks. (Who said they were stealable, though? I'd prefer to think of them as "attributable".:))
My son is walking into town to buy a slushie with his chum, and my daughter is in her room, either on the phone or computer. I overheard the beginning of her conversation with her friend who asked how her trip was. She began, "It was like, really long." I'm sure though that the trip has made a positive contribution to their characters.

Last edited:
Welcome back Frank. I knew you’d have a good time. It is interesting to meet other RFF members where they live. We’re all looking forward to seeing your photos; would it be possible to see prints at the August meeting? Let's see if we can fire up the dormant thread. There’s the usual meandering on the date; August 16th is the only consistently approved date, but there haven’t been many comments.

Frank, welcome home. I'm looking forward to seeing your results. That's a lot of weight you were carrying, but you've got big shoulders! :)

BTW, I think it was Lawrence Welk, and I think it actually goes "Wunnerful, Wunnerful, Wunnerful!"

Gene

Back