If I were a Chinese manufacturer, I would build this

An FM-style body has been my dream for years. A full-frame mirrorless mount with adapters for various lenses would be ideal; otherwise, the m42 mount has many legacy lenses and would work well. If not a true SLR, the electronic viewfinder would allow one to use legacy lenses without stopping down for metering.

Though I would prefer to not have an LCD screen, I understand the market would demand it. Thus, I suggest a flip out screen that would allow waist-level shooting and allow the screen to flip backward to hide the LCD altogether.

Would love a camera power efficient enough to use AA batteries for 1000 shots.

Here's to dreaming!

Isn't the clear point here that there are many in the niche realm who would like a small SLR with classic aperture rings and shutter speed dials?

it would have to compete with used full frame bodies like D700 and 5D series (thats easy to use with almost any old manual lens out there), as well as latest models ofcourse. would retro looks be enough for it to be profitable? Leica does that but in easier market with less competition.

Chinese manufacture may be cheap, but quality control must be very good, because this enthusiast market would not tolerate bad news. any negative rumor on web and it would be "M8 IR-issue" repeated. so would Chinese manufacturing still be cheap enough?

am skeptical, but not in "so if it were so easy, why dont you do it yourself" -crowd :)

I still think the idea that was very briefly marketed some years ago with a "drop in" sensor that fit into existing film SLRs (looked like a film cassette with the sensor sticking out and covering the film gate) was a very promising approach. No LCD screen preview, but I could live without that. Presumably there'd be some accompanying accessory preview screen that you could attach the sensor to after you take it out of the camera. Maybe some function where a signal light could show through the window newer film SLRs have that show there's a film cassette loaded in the camera. (Failing that, maybe some sort of audible signal indicating "image has been written to memory; OK to shoot.") Has anyone taken another look at that? With a decent full frame sensor I think a lot of people would be pretty happy -- it could be used in practically any existing 35mm body, and no need to be concerned about building different bodies for different lens mounts.

That's my particular pipe dream!

This was a vaporware company and persistent internet hoax.

I believe maybe they displayed one non-working model at some show.

http://cultureandcommunication.org/deadmedia/index.php/Silicon_Film

I still think the idea that was very briefly marketed some years ago with a "drop in" sensor that fit into existing film SLRs (looked like a film cassette with the sensor sticking out and covering the film gate) was a very promising approach. No LCD screen preview, but I could live without that. Presumably there'd be some accompanying accessory preview screen that you could attach the sensor to after you take it out of the camera. Maybe some function where a signal light could show through the window newer film SLRs have that show there's a film cassette loaded in the camera. (Failing that, maybe some sort of audible signal indicating "image has been written to memory; OK to shoot.") Has anyone taken another look at that? With a decent full frame sensor I think a lot of people would be pretty happy -- it could be used in practically any existing 35mm body, and no need to be concerned about building different bodies for different lens mounts.

That's my particular pipe dream!

Reality is often mixed up with cold water. Epson/Cosina had the RD-1, as has been mentioned numerous times and they didn't see fit to keep the line going. What does that tell you?

I know, I know...an established company that did all the work you mention (and more) doesn't know what you do. Sure.

There's the NEX line, there's Nikon's fine line of DSLR's and there's the fact that no established company has seen the business case in this niche.

You can call that cold water, or you can do what I do and just go out and shoot.

Maybe, or maybe not.

Ideas are a dime a dozen.

Someone has to be the first to act on an idea, apparently you like to throw cold water on any speculation.

Like Steve Jobs said, the public doesn't know what it wants until you put it in their hand.

According to an interview with Isao Edatsune, who created the R-D1 at Epson, and has his name in the camera with the EdiArt chip, the R-D1 was a commercial success, but not in the numbers that impressed Epson, a mega company.

Even so, a full frame R-D2 was in the works, but Isao Edatsune was promoted out of the imaging division, and the product was shelved. He simply had no time to mastermind it.

Here is a link I found with more info, but unfortunately, the interview I quote was in translated Japanese and I can't find it.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=32473.10;wap2

http://translate.google.com/transla...0_interview_du_papa_du_epson_r_d1.htm&act=url

Reality is often mixed up with cold water. Epson/Cosina had the RD-1, as has been mentioned numerous times and they didn't see fit to keep the line going. What does that tell you?

I know, I know...an established company that did all the work you mention (and more) doesn't know what you do. Sure.

There's the NEX line, there's Nikon's fine line of DSLR's and there's the fact that no established company has seen the business case in this niche.

You can call that cold water, or you can do what I do and just go out and shoot.

To pull this off they need a sensor. They'd have to buy from Sony, most likely.

Far easier to go to Dalsa, they have no interest in camera's, only in sensors. Don't know if they make something as small as a FF :D

How about an M10 knock-off for under $500 that would deliver fair images.....for about 30 days, then crap out.

Back