I See The Sigma SD Quattro H Has Landed.

And I have to agree with Samourai's comment about jsrockit's remark ... it's a little like jumping into a digital thread and letting everyone know that digital sucks and you'll stick to film!

It doesn't add a thing and just pisses the people off in the thread who genuinely endorse the product being discussed. :)

I hear film is the original stacked sensor, so it is obviously much better than this digital rubbish.

You're welcome. :)

(Once again I have nothing of substance to contribute)

I am very keen on the Sigma Quattro SD H. I have it in my shopping cart at two places!
I am thinking of coupling it with the 24-105 Art lens. But I just can't push the "Place this order" button.
There is just too little about this camera online. Some posts rave about how much better it is than the SD1 Merrill, others say the IQ is no better or a little worse.
Any thoughts?

These reviews pretty much tell us stuff that we already know if we understand Sigma's cameras. That is more positive than some I've read though.

And I'm with EricT ... I keep going back and hovering over the buy button but can't quite do it yet! :D

Keith - whichever one of us bites first should let the other know and share impressions. I still like the SD1 even with all of its quirks. I even like the jpgs out of the SD1.
I also like the slightly larger sensor on the Quattro SD H.

Keith - whichever one of us bites first should let the other know and share impressions. I still like the SD1 even with all of its quirks. I even like the jpgs out of the SD1.
I also like the slightly larger sensor on the Quattro SD H.

Me too ... I was always OK with the crop factor of my M8 (also 1.3) and with this body I would already have quite a good range of lenses straight up because of owning the SD1m like you.

We are true pioneers Eric ... going where no RFFer has gone before! lol :D

Me too ... I was always OK with the crop factor of my M8 (also 1.3) and with this body I would already have quite a good range of lenses straight up because of owning the SD1m like you.

Keith - yes we have lenses but, as you know, our DC lenses will be cropped. Only DG lenses can take full advantage of the slightly larger sensor on the H. That is why I am thinking of getting the Sigma 24-105mm DG Art lens.
I did promise myself to not buy so much gear this year. But I am going to Yosemite National Park in California this summer so I really would like to see how the Quattro SD H does with such scenery.

And I agree with you. I too was very happy with the M8's 1.3 crop factor.

I've been tempted to try Iridient's software for foveon raws ... it's strange that they only do it for mac! Currently I convert to tif in SPP then across to LR ... they never require a huge amount of work though!

Keith -- I think that its now available for Windows too. Or at least I recall some kind of batch conversion piece of software is available....

We need a couple of pics of this thing ...

C41900.tag.P1.jpg

C41900.tag.P3.jpg

C41900.tag.P2.jpg

These reviews pretty much tell us stuff that we already know if we understand Sigma's cameras. That is more positive than some I've read though.

And I'm with EricT ... I keep going back and hovering over the buy button but can't quite do it yet! :D

I believe i mentioned it sometime ago, when i get to Melbourne next, I'll probably click the buy button over the counter :D

I believe i mentioned it sometime ago, when i get to Melbourne next, I'll probably click the buy button over the counter :D

C.R. Kennedy are currently quoting 'low stock' on the web site ... I sent them a message today to ask what their idea of low stock actually is and are they expecting another shipment. :D

OK Keith - I placed the order tonight. I should have the Sigma Quattro SD H in a couple of days. I didn't buy any more lenses. I already have five DG lenses. So I'll let you know how it goes and I will take some H and SD1 comparison shots.
Now if I can only learn how to post photos on RFF without having them be so big!
All the best,
Eric

Last edited:
OK Keith - I placed the order tonight. I should have the Sigma Quattro SD H in a couple of days. I didn't buy any more lenses. I already have five DG lenses. So I'll let you know how it goes and I will take some H and SD1 comparison shots.
Now if I can only learn how to post photos on RFF without having them be so big!
All the best,
Eric

Excellent Eric ... I'll look forward to your thoughts though I have to say I'm probably not far away myself. I have a rent bond refund coming in the next few days so I suspect that will be the decider. I'll probably sell something as well because the whole digital collection is becoming a little ridiculous now! This will be my fourth Sigma and I'd quite like to sell the SD1M if this H is the goods but the reallity is it's (the SD1m) probably not really worth much used.

Back