I See The Sigma SD Quattro H Has Landed.

Keith

The best camera is one that still works!
Local time
8:11 AM
That kind of sneaked in under the radar while I wasn't paying attention and I'm not seeing much fan fare about the camera anywhere. I also can't help but note that it is fifty percent dearer than it's sibling so there has to be more to it than just the larger sensor surely?

I'm still very tempted but although it's only a twelve hundred dollar (US) camera at B & H it's an eighteen hundred dollar camera here in Oz and it is available at the same outlet I bought my Merrills ... C. R. Kennedy.

I sort of made up my mind that if I allowed myself one piece of photographic gear last year or this year it was going to be this camera and the price is about what I expected. Is anyone else seriously interested in this camera or do you see it as too little too late?

They seem cool enough, but to me they are too much of a pain in the ass to deal with. I'll stick to other brands.

Interested. The fact that it shoots DNG (old Sigma raw is still there too) is a nice bonus. AF is still slow compared to competition, interwebs know.

They seem cool enough, but to me they are too much of a pain in the ass to deal with. I'll stick to other brands.

What a useless comment. Stick to the other boards if that's all you have to say about Sigma's Foveon cameras.

I'm personally dying to hear some forum member reviews about this new SD camera. Anyone grabbing the -H? The Dp0 is still my most regularly used camera. Though I honestly believe the SD Quattro cameras are "too little, too late." The DP Quattros have been around for ages. They should have skipped the Quattro sensor and launched the next lineup of SD cameras with a new sensor tech. And I honestly can't believe that they're loaded with Micro-USB 3.0 port instead of USB Type-C.

It's not as if Sigma isn't a huge success with their third party lenses...they can probably afford to keep the Foveon dream alive and on the bleeding edge.

I love the idea of one of these. For me the lens mount is the issue - specifically getting used Sigma SA lenses seems to be nigh impossible, and I'm cheap.

If it was me (and had the EM1 mk2 not come out, it might very well have been me - the introductory offer with the 30mm F1.4 has got to be one of the best bargains in recent camera releases), I'd get the smaller sensor, just because then I can use the APS-C Sigma lenses as well, giving me the focal ranges I'm used to.

I'd love to see some sort of comparison between the two versions, but like you said, fanfare is limited and proper reviews (by people who understand the dis/advantages of Foveon) of the APS-C model are few and far between.

Well I was kind of looking out to the new sd's but the aps-c one in 1:1:1 format isn't much pixels and for the -H you need full frame lenses. And the sigma ff lenses don't tick my boxes. So I stay with the dp's.

Had a look at one whilst I was in Japan a month or so ago.
It's a hard toss up to be quite honest. The APS-C variant will have access to the majority of sigma's lens lineup since (correct me if I'm wrong) for most part Sigma's hasn't released any FF SA mount lenses.
On the other hand, the APS-H is a larger sensor and both the APS-C and APS-H are the same size externally from what I can recall...
Really a hard call this one.

I wonder if these new mirrorless Sigma interchangeable lens cameras will work well with M-mount lenses, if adapters were made for it. I'd be really interested in them if they were.

I'm just imagining how M lenses on foveon sensors will turn out.

I wonder if these new mirrorless Sigma interchangeable lens cameras will work well with M-mount lenses, if adapters were made for it. I'd be really interested in them if they were.

https://petapixel.com/2013/04/02/sigma-dp-cameras-hacked-to-play-nicely-with-leica-m-lenses/

I don't know how you'd be able to get M lenses working with an SA camera. Further, I'd imagine that a telecentric exit light path would perform better due to the nature of the stacked foveon sensor design, so only longer Leica lenses might perform more appropriately. Think of the thick sensor glass on the A7 cameras and how that hindered M-lens performance. That's probably the reason that the DP0's 14mm/4 lens is so large. Though the DP1's 19mm lens is tiny, so don't quote me on this reasoning.

Had a look at one whilst I was in Japan a month or so ago.
It's a hard toss up to be quite honest. The APS-C variant will have access to the majority of sigma's lens lineup since (correct me if I'm wrong) for most part Sigma's hasn't released any FF SA mount lenses.
On the other hand, the APS-H is a larger sensor and both the APS-C and APS-H are the same size externally from what I can recall...
Really a hard call this one.

Sigma releases all of full-frame their lenses in an SA-mount variant. So the famous 35, 55, that new and amazing 85, the upcoming fast 135, the upcoming fast 14, whatever zooms they have on the market. Sigma has a really great full-frame SA lineup. I'd bet the 18-35/1.8 fits the APS-H sensor in the new SDQ-H, as it was pretty close to fitting full-frame sensors at most focal lengths, I believe.

Well I was kind of looking out to the new sd's but the aps-c one in 1:1:1 format isn't much pixels and for the -H you need full frame lenses. And the sigma ff lenses don't tick my boxes. So I stay with the dp's.

How about the upcoming 14mm/1.8 on the SDQ-H? Fast DP0Q replacement, how cool will that be? I can't see it performing better than the 14mm/4 that is in the DP0 right now, but I'm excited for the results. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1321308-REG/sigma_14mm_f_1_8_dg_hsm.html

What a useless comment. Stick to the other boards if that's all you have to say about Sigma's Foveon cameras.

Are we indulging in censorship now? I think his comment was actually valid, since dealing with Sigma raw *is* a hassle.

Your fanboy comment, on the other hand, doesn't contribute to anything, so maybe you should stick to other boards...

Are we indulging in censorship now? I think his comment was actually valid, since dealing with Sigma raw *is* a hassle.

Your fanboy comment, on the other hand, doesn't contribute to anything, so maybe you should stick to other boards...

Sticking to Sigma-related boards means talking to yourself.... a lot, LOL...

Here's what I quoted:

This is a non-argument: so Sigma Foveon cameras are niche, specialty cameras that don't handle like a Canon 5D MkII. And they can be a "pain in the ass" at times, sure. I think we're all aware of that, don't you? The poster has apparently never used a Foveon camera and left an inane comment.

What do you mean when you say that this comment is valid? Break it down for me.

I'm not sure Sigma Raw files are a pain the a$$ to deal with. Just use the supplied software, then export. It's one extra step. If you're using a foveon camera then you are used to working slow anyhow.:angel:

Sigma releases all of full-frame their lenses in an SA-mount variant. So the famous 35, 55, that new and amazing 85, the upcoming fast 135, the upcoming fast 14, whatever zooms they have on the market. Sigma has a really great full-frame SA lineup. I'd bet the 18-35/1.8 fits the APS-H sensor in the new SDQ-H, as it was pretty close to fitting full-frame sensors at most focal lengths, I believe.

Fair enough. It's often hard enough to find SA mount lenses in Australia, let alone trying to find a FF SA mount lens so it's not often you see one in the wild or available for sale. (Almost unicorn like sadly)

And I have to agree with Samourai's comment about jsrockit's remark ... it's a little like jumping into a digital thread and letting everyone know that digital sucks and you'll stick to film!

It doesn't add a thing and just pisses the people off in the thread who genuinely endorse the product being discussed. :)

I've been tempted to try Iridient's software for foveon raws ... it's strange that they only do it for mac! Currently I convert to tif in SPP then across to LR ... they never require a huge amount of work though!

I've been tempted to try Iridient's software for foveon raws ... it's strange that they only do it for mac! Currently I convert to tif in SPP then across to LR ... they never require a huge amount of work though!

Iridient only works for Merrill and earlier RAWs though. Works well for them (and is much faster than SPP) but it doesn't support Quattro raw files other than the DNG (which is already processed).

Shawn

Won't be able to. While the mirrorless Sigma is mirrorless they kept the flange distance from their SLRs so that they didn't have to create a new line of lenses. The SA mount has a flange distance of 44mm. M mount is 27.8mm. Unless the adapter allowed the lens to mount inside the camera you can't make this work without having additional optics in between.

Shawn

Back