I am curious about your trip gear

I am curious about your trip gear

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why would you consider taking two digital bodies (M8 + M9, for instance), but no way to backup your pictures ? How often did one of your Leicas break during your travels ?

During our recent Alaska trip, my wife lost several hundred photos via a defect and unrecoverable memory card. Trust me, you don't want to go through this (both of us took photos, I had the only keepers); backup your photos, either via a drive ("digital wallet" - they are much smaller than one of your Leicas), a tablet or a laptop, on a daily basis.

It happens. Statistically more frequently that film x-ray damage, or, I'm sure, more probable than your M9 breaking.

Roland.

I would not take only digital cameras. The M 4/3 would be an add-on to the other cameras, if I wanted a back-up digital camera. I always have the Ipad with me too. I may take along a small sized external drive too.

Why would you consider taking two digital bodies (M8 + M9, for instance), but no way to backup your pictures ? How often did one of your Leicas break during your travels ?

During our recent Alaska trip, my wife lost several hundred photos via a defect and unrecoverable memory card. Trust me, you don't want to go through this (both of us took photos, I had the only keepers); backup your photos, either via a drive ("digital wallet" - they are much smaller than one of your Leicas), a tablet or a laptop, on a daily basis.

It happens. Statistically more frequently that film x-ray damage, or, I'm sure, more probable than your M9 breaking.

Roland.
Dear Roland,

(1) It's more likely the failure of the memory card that's a problem than the failure of the camera. After all, if the card has failed, it has failed, and won't back up either.

(2) 'Trust me', use reliable cards of a sensible size (2-4 MB, 8 MB at the outside, depending on your shooting habits) and DNG (not huge numbers of JPEGs on a single card) and don't piddle around with drives, tablets or laptops.

Cheers,

R.

Raid, my take from the lot would clearly be Rolleiflex TLR and M9. BW film in the TLR and 2-3 nice lenses for the M9 (21/3.4, 35/2.5 and say 75/2.5 - all Leica of course :) )

Let me PM you my address so that I can take the gear for a walk ;)

Raid, my take from the lot would clearly be Rolleiflex TLR and M9. BW film in the TLR and 2-3 nice lenses for the M9 (21/3.4, 35/2.5 and say 75/2.5 - all Leica of course :) )

Let me PM you my address so that I can take the gear for a walk ;)

I do not have any of the three lenses that seem to be your dream team, Matus.

It is interesting that the poll shows support for M6+M9 > SWC+M9 >M6+M3> M9+M3>M8+M9 which shows low support for the M3. It also shows that people prefer digital plus film. While the M9 is chosen in the top two choices, the M9 plus M8 is not a top choice.

Most likely this choice will allow me creativity and practicality. I bought a CV Meter II for the SWC.

In 2010, I took a trip to Paris for a little over two weeks. I took my A&A Oskar's One Day bag, an M6TTL, M3, 28, 35, 50 and 90mm lenses, 80 rolls of KR64. I had a blast, shot 60 rolls.

The bag now houses my lone remaining M3 with a 50mm 1.5 ZM, X100 and Xpan with a 45mm...I love this setup for street and travel nearly as much as the following Hasselblad setup.

Next year I am headed over to Scotland and Ireland for about the same amount of time. I am bringing a Domke F-3X with a Hasselblad 501CM, 60mm 3.5 CF, 100mm 3.5 CF and two 120 backs loaded with HP5...no digital...it's too distracting to me and I like the results of film far better.

It is interesting that the poll shows support for M6+M9 > SWC+M9 >M6+M3> M9+M3>M8+M9 which shows low support for the M3. It also shows that people prefer digital plus film. While the M9 is chosen in the top two choices, the M9 plus M8 is not a top choice.

Interesting observation : I wonder if you had 2xM9 or M9+MM if the vote would still be biased towards film plus digital or all full frame digital.

Back