I am curious about your trip gear

I am curious about your trip gear

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I recently returned from traveling to London, Paris, and Rome. took 25 rolls of 120 film and was granted hand inspection every time except in the train station in London. No problems with xrays on any of the film, (ISO 100-400). Keep your film rolls out of the boxes but in the wrappers, in quart sized ziplock bags. Take the ziplocks out of your carry-on and hand them to the inspector while asking politely and smiling. Worked at every airport: Dallas-Ft Worth, Atlanta, Paris, Rome, Chicago-O'Hare.

Kent

What would I choose?

A camera to use most of the time.

Another camera to use in case that one breaks/is lost/whatever.

The first camera would be the one I was happiest using.

The second would (probably) be the one I was second happiest using, but I'd hope I'd not have to use it.

Cheers,

R.

What would I choose?

A camera to use most of the time.

Another camera to use in case that one breaks/is lost/whatever.

The first camera would be the one I was happiest using.

The second would (probably) be the one I was second happiest using, but I'd hope I'd not have to use it.

Cheers,

R.

Precisely.

I most often travel with an M9 and an MP (or M7). Sometimes with the M9 and a T3/GR1s/28Ti.

Depending on destination (and possible secure storage) I may bring more.

I was wouting for m3 plus m6. In my case is either M4 plus Rollei RF35 or M4 plus M3 Or couple of Nikons - depends on my mood :) the digital camera (OM5) is travelling with my wife :)

In terms of the film and security checks - I'm using Domke Film Guard Bags in various sizes. Good news about them - they are not transparent for the x-rays and security always asks to show what's inside. So the situation with scanning the film back and force is excluded from the list of possibilities...

Have a nice trip

gonna be M6ttl and M-E for me, if I manage to save up the money for the digital.

metered film rangefinder + digital rangefinder is perfect. my maximum kit weighs 3.5 kg with both bodies and lots of stuff, how much would that be with other cameras? :D

I didn't vote, because I would only take one camera and one lens. My wife and I travel to Europe about every 18 months, and I've learned that taking just one camera makes the photography more enjoyable for me.
Have a great time over there!

I often travel with my M4/3s kit + my M9. My preferences are for a beautiful brunette, mainly my wife, to carry it all for me.

I checked the M9 + SWC as I love both those cameras, but on my next trip I'll likely carry the M9 with two lenses and the Voightländer Perkeo II as it is much more compact. Or, just the Voigtländer Bessa III.

And the iPhone 4S... :)

Keep it small, keep it light.

I have stopped traveling with film altogether, and just take an M8 with a 50mm Summilux and and a 35mm Summicron ASPH. I would perfer a 120 film camera, but it's just too much hassle.

Raid:

While I voted for the M9/M6 option, my current travel choices would be different given my past trip experiences and camera equipment I already own.

My Mamiya 7II is one of my most used cameras. It would definitely accompany me on any trip, but would most likely be used for planned, mostly static shots of landscapes, architecture, etc. My full-time camera would most likely be my Fuji X-Pro 1 due to its compact size, low light performance, and overall outstanding image quality.

I think that the combination of a medium format film camera plus the addition of a compact digital, interchangeable lens camera is pretty tough to beat for travel gear.

I won't be able to pass up photographing Europe with a Rolleiflex, so that one will go definitely.
As for the digital, if I have an M9, of course I'll bring it. But I'll be just as happy with other good digital cameras.

So my choice is not on the poll.

The type of thing I would do, would be to take 2 M7's: 0.58x and 0.85x, the first with a 28mm and the second with a 50mm. I might also take a 35mm lens for walking around with just one body.

Voted M9 + SWC. Different formats and shooting styles. I am not much of a digital man, but I see the point when it is a family trip. No point in bringing for example two small format film cameras or two cameras that are too similar, unless you think of the "break-down" risk.

Sorry Raid, but I did not "vote now" because I know that you have been to Europe before (many times) and you know what gear works best for you.......If I were you, I would take whatever you feel comfortable with......you have so many great cameras to choose from and only you can determine what you "feel comfortable" shooting with.....regardless, I wish you a good time in Europe and I hope you have fun.....

cheers, michael

I haven't voted as my current choice is not up there ;).
You can figure that out easily, no more film that is...

I voted for the XA and Hexar RF, although from the cameras listed in the poll I'd prefer to take the Olympus XA and the M6. Either way, the larger body with 50 and 28 lenses, and the Oly XA to cover 35 and function as a pocket camera, is a lightweight and flexible travel kit. I would not take two Leica M bodies for that reason, particularly if I was going to be doing a lot of walking.

I'm planning a trip to Paris next Mary/June, and am seriously considering taking an M4-2, one of my Canon 50s and the CV Ultron 28/2.0, and an Oly XA. That, and an iPhone, would cover the bases for me. YMMV.

I voted contax t2 & m9 but I'd substitute the t2 with a digital point and shoot. Btw, it would be just one lens with the m9. I hate bulk.

I chose the m8 and M9 as I don't see a DSLR option.

My most recent travels have been with M8 and 5Dii. Perfect combo as they can overlap but both specialize as well. i love the 5D for my Zuiko 100mm f2 and 180mm f2.8. The M8 always had a Hex Dual 21/35 for walk-around or the 40mm Rokkor for evening time.
I don't see any reason to carry a film camera overseas. Your digital options are well up to standards.

Back