Huff's Rave Sigma FP Review

This camera intrigues me greatly for the possibility of a very small mirrorless full frame camera, to be able to use vintage manual focus glass from Leica, Pentax and Minolta, and possibly being production ready for good quality video shooting.

The problem with the video part is that tests are showing the h264 encoding to be a blt lacking, with moire and rolling shutter issues, and the CinemaDNG raw files are going to be way too large to be viable for long form recording. As a stills camera, it looks great.

I don't know...it does look sexy, but when loaded, it's just 50 grams lighter than the a7 and EOS RP, both with EVF, a hotshoe and...a mechanical shutter.

For stills, based on some bad experiences (rolling shutter issues) with my A7SII under certain lighting conditions, I’d be concerned about it only having an electronic shutter. The size looks great however.

This camera intrigues me greatly for the possibility of a very small mirrorless full frame camera, to be able to use vintage manual focus glass from Leica, Pentax and Minolta, and possibly being production ready for good quality video shooting.

The problem with the video part is that tests are showing the h264 encoding to be a blt lacking, with moire and rolling shutter issues, and the CinemaDNG raw files are going to be way too large to be viable for long form recording. As a stills camera, it looks great.

Sounds like Sigma. Big statement, fancy look, but issues. I was at Smpte presentation by major camera manufacturers yesterday. About mirrorless and video production. I know what you are talking about :)

Interesting. Not sure about having no hot shoe (except as an accessory) which means no optical viewfinder option, and not keen on the $300 bulky LCD magnifier/viewfinder.

Of course Huff's review is a rave. His livelihood depends on getting you all gassed up so you buy the camera through one of his links.

He'll sell it in a couple of months after he realizes the pics he takes of his buddy at a bar, his wife standing in his living room, and that fire hydrant all look the same.

He'll sell it in a couple of months after he realizes the pics he takes of his buddy at a bar, his wife standing in his living room, and that fire hydrant all look the same.

Yes, it seems he lost his passion for photography many years ago and simply does camera reviews to make $ these days.

Back