Horrifying prospect for any digital M8 8.2 owner!!!

Am I 'horrified'? No.

Am I slightly concerned? Yes.

But what is the actual scale of this problem? And how many of the most vocal protesters actually own an M8? I do.

Certainly, it's bad news. But it looks to me like a classic internet 'problem', based on genuine concerns that affect very few but which are then inflated by onlookers, ill-wishers and wannabes.

Cheers,

R.

One side effect of this that's just occured to me is that there will probably now be a lot of M8's consigned to early retirement for other reasons. If you own an M8 and it has a shutter failure or similar are you going to spend the money repairing that when you're aware that another major part is unavailable that could effectively terminate the camera at any time? The future of the M8 goes beyond the availability of the LCD screen IMO!

Does anyone have, or can anyone point me to any proof (a letter from Leica/ a statement from Leica) to confirm this? It seems that Leica wants to end the trade in used M8's for its own benefit. LCD replacement indeed...

As Roger pointed out there is a difference between "contractual obligation and mere puff". I would almost bet any adverts are vetted by lawyers before being used. So it is not a manufacturers fault that consumers actually believe an averts "mere puff" or caveat emptor as they say.

That begs two questions:

Why would any savvy modern consumer actually fall for 1950s era avert styles today?

Do companies actually think their customers are that inept as consumers.

No matter which way you look at it then nobody really has the right to complain. Anybody feel better now?

Bob

Keith

Very interesting point. Similar to knowing when to not throw any more money into an old car and just bite the bullet and get a replacement. Tough call in most cases.

Bob

Keith

Very interesting point. Similar to knowing when to not throw any more money into an old car and just bite the bullet and get a replacement. Tough call in most cases.

Bob

Yes ... a bit like spending a few grand on an engine overhaul when you've just been told the transmission has zero parts availability! :D

So Leica can't guarantee every single component of every single camera for the entire lifespan of every single consumer...... fancy that! They are a money making outfit. But- remember that everyone who bought a new M8 in 2006 received two years free accident insurance, and probably have a few lenses that are appreciating in value as we speak. And how much have people saved in film and developing costs? I just don't understand people's complaints. It's consumer electronics with a brass coating but one which allows the user to plug into a photographic heritage. It's all marketing. All of it. If you can afford something, buy it, but don't expect it to last forever- that's just unrealistic.

Back