Horrifying prospect for any digital M8 8.2 owner!!!

I wonder what the M9 upgrade really is? I mean, if I wanted to get my screen on my M8 replaced and I couldn't, but they offered me a M9 at $5000-6000, I'd still have a M8 with a broken screen and no interest in the M9.

According to the individual who more or less began the thread on the other forum, Leica offered him an M9 for $3900 in exchange for his LCD-less M8. No indication whether the M9 was brand-new or a demo/refurb.

According to the individual who more or less began the thread on the other forum, Leica offered him an M9 for $3900 in exchange for his LCD-less M8. No indication whether the M9 was brand-new or a demo/refurb.

The M9 I got in exchange for my M8 was brand new, and the serial number was in the 4.3 million range.
Also, my cost was considerably less than $3900. But my M8 was in really good condition, with a very low shutter count.

The only hassle about the whole ordeal was that the replacement had to come out of the German factory, Leica NJ could not send me one from their inventory.

I think this is a fair deal, but I ended up with a better deal than most will get.

I feel like I'm back on Photo.net.

Even longstanding members are cranking up the nastiness.

I think this is an interesting topic, and I'm learning much from it, but the tone of the conversation is too often turning to the unpleasant. May I suggest those who truly feel compelled to sling insults to other members do so via PM and keep the conversation here to useful insights and comments?

+1 on that.

Show some courtesy folks.

That's not much different than selling your M8 (a working M8) and adding $3900 to buy a M9. Well, at least from Leica it'll be new... but still, not an elegant solution. It just assumes everyone who buys a Leica has expendable cash at their disposal. I'd really push Leica on this front if my M8 wasn't repairable.

Leica for life. Life of the camera. Having started with a IIIC, I am disappointed with Leica. If they are going to step up to the plate and say a camera for life then they have to be ready to inventory as needed.

This is why I doubt I will ever have a digital Leica. Over twenty two years I have gathered a good collection of Leica cameras and lenses from a 1929 Leica 1 to a 2005 50 Summilux asph. They have been bought at odd moments when I had disposable income but on the premise that one day I could resell and get my investment back. It would be rare that I would have $3,900 available so I, and I suspect many others, will stay with film Leicas. Now a D700 is so big, but would make more sense. Joe

One thing that I'm curious about is what exactly is the failure rate of the LCD of the M8 ... is it extrodinarily high to create so much concern?

Let's face it guy's the Company who made the Film Camera's which wanted
their camera's to last forever is gone. What you have now is a company filled
with bean counter's. The M8 guy's, they want you to dump your camera's
which I'm sure you all love, and they want you to get M9's and M10's to keep
feeding the Leica Monster!

Range

One thing that I'm curious about is what exactly is the failure rate of the LCD of the M8 ... is it extrodinarily high to create so much concern?

lol. i don't think it's very high....i think people on forums just love to freak out ;)

I would suspect not, but even if we assume that it is just a normal rate of failure, it is the fact that this will "brick" your camera entirely if it occurs to you which is of concern, especially as the M8 (even second hand) is by no means a CHEAP camera. Possibly of more concern is what it potentially says about Leica's claims of a "camera forever" and their spare parts/repair process and procedures. Of course, this may be a once-off inventory mismanagement issue from Leica, but this alone would certainly have to factor into any decisions made about purchasing an M9 or an M8.2 as well. The concerns being displayed here go well beyond, "how many people has this, or will this, directly affect".

famous quotes .....

John Howard ... "There will be no GST!"

Julia Gillard ... "My government will not be introducing a carbon tax!"

Leica ... "A camera for life!"

:D :D :D

famous quotes .....

John Howard ... "There will be no GST!"

Julia Gillard ... "My government will not be introducing a carbon tax!"

Leica ... "A camera for life!"

:D :D :D

You left a few out, Keith.. ..please don't get me started!! :D

I bet that it is not exactly known ;) Or, given enough time it wil be 100% :eek:
"At risk statistics" are just as confused as all statistics. For example, if one out of seven people will get some nasty medical condition, you never hear anything about the six that didn't.
My M8 will be 6 in Nov. Is it at risk?....maybe, but, I'll just ride the wagon until the wheels fall off and then use it without the LCD. All I want the body for is to host the lenses that I have and there are more and more options appearing for that.
Bob

I bet that it is not exactly known ;) Or, given enough time it wil be 100% :eek:
"At risk statistics" are just as confused as all statistics. For example, if one out of seven people will get some nasty medical condition, you never hear anything about the six that didn't.
My M8 will be 6 in Nov. Is it at risk?....maybe, but, I'll just ride the wagon until the wheels fall off and then use it without the LCD. All I want the body for is to host the lenses that I have and there are more and more options appearing for that.
Bob

Actually that raises an interesting question for me. I was under the impression that the LCD was required (even if one chose not to use it for image review) for ISO and exposure compensation changes etc (which are pretty fundamental functions). Is this not the case ? Would it be possible to use the M8 sans screen ? If so, the problem is certainly less of an issue than I had hitherto believed.

Actually that raises an interesting question for me. I was under the impression that the LCD was required (even if one chose not to use it for image review) for ISO and exposure compensation changes etc (which are pretty fundamental functions). Is this not the case ? Would it be possible to use the M8 sans screen ? If so, the problem is certainly less of an issue than I had hitherto believed.

I had an M8 and I really don't see how you could use it without a functioning screen.

Paperweight! :p

Good question. If you're the one with the failed LCD, your personal failure rate is 100%.

I'm not affected from this as I don't have a digital M. I'm not anti-digital however, and would buy an M9 if and when the price/timing is right for me. Although I don't expect anything to work for life, but this issue does make me pause and think about what would the support of M9 be a few years from now, whether it's LCD or sensor or whatever.

Back