Help picking rangefinder for travel

I know that on trips, I always want something very capable : like something AF, small, fast lens, etc. No changing lenses if I can help it. Contax T3. Can't even think of a better choice. Not even the Leica answer to the T3.

If you want manual focus, try the T. Or the Minolta CLE - I've seen that camera do great things. And with a little 40mm on it, you would be hard pressed to find a better compact 35mm manual focus rangefinder.

But, all that aside, I took my RF645 along to England and France, and it performed well, was not difficult to carry for 10+ hours of walking each day, and I am glad I have those huge negatives for serious prints of things I may never see again.

I'm really partial to my Bessa R. But if I had it to do over I would buy the R2A or R3A for the AE Auto. I don't care much about the M mount. M mount lenses are out of my price range anyway. I think the CV lenses all in all are second to none and they are affordable.

If You get confused with the frameline issue, get a Bessa T. It has none!
...But a great rangefinder, m-mount, a nice meter, super bright accessory finders and is very light. And a great price at PhotoVillage. When travelling I carry it with a CV 75/2.5 and a CV 25/4 for daytime strolling and a Canon 50/1.4 when it gets darker. The 25 is a great "normal" lens for street action, interiors (bright ones...) and architecture while the 75 works perfect for portraits, a little distant scenes, details in the streets and on buildings.

I have to admit there IS sometimes a problem changing both lens and VF. I am planning to build some kind of combinded viewfinder for the 25-75 lenses, sometime, somehow...

Or You could get a Bessa T AND a Bessa L, the first with a tele and the latter with a wide. Both are light, fairly small, cheap and you escape the lens switching dilemma.

Or a...

/Jacob

So many members, so many answers. :)

Greg, you're on your own here! I'd suggest to get in touch with an RFF member or two, let them bring gear and play with it some time. Only then you can decide for sure what you like. I simply took the plunge and bought a Bessa L with CV 25/4 lens. It was my main (travel) combo for over a year. After that I progressed to a Bessa R, a Leica M2 and now the Epson R-D1.

I wouldn't have wanted it any other way, though I might have gone for a Bessa R2 from the beginning if I had been able to handle one (and know the difference between M mount and LTM).

90mm framelines

90mm framelines

The Bessa R2/2a do have 90mm frame lines. The R2 is my "take anywhere" camera as its expensive enough to be satisfying to use but not expensive enough to attract vilianous attention. Also, as pointed out above, with the M mount you have access to a huge variety of wonderful lenses in both LTM and M mount from a wide variety of manufacturers.

Pick up a Bessa R3a with a 40/1.4 and a 75/2.5. Should cover most situations and be relatively compact. Though a cheaper choice would be the Bessa R kit with the 35/2.5 and the 75/2.5, if you don't need low light or shallow DoF.

But, uhhhh, even cheaper would be a Nikon fg with a 50/1.8 pancake and a 105/2.5...not really pocketable, but would fit into a bag with no problems.

I have been using a Bessa T and a Canon P in my travels and have been very happy with both cameras. The P is a workhorse and will not fail you, while the Bessa T has a built-in TTL meter and is very light. I am used to a Leica M3 while at home, and I have found the P-T combo to be a reasonable set-up. I sometimes add a Rolleifelx TLR camera for those special photo occasions that require a larger negative film. As for lenses, I use the M lenses and Canon lenses.

I have been buying various cameras to try out..
Bessa R Leica III Canon RF and Minolta CL.
I like them all... but they are not all perfect.
I bought a CLE tonight... I will see how that one goes.

Back