Help picking rangefinder for travel

gregarpp

Established
Local time
2:58 PM
I am currently using a rather extensive 35mm SLR and Medium format system.
I am looking for something that I can travel with - it must be compact with a built in meter.

I have used the following cameras, and generally did not like them.
Konica Hexar AF (Stealth) Loved the camera, but the 35mm was too wide.
Contax G2 system - I had bought all the lenses.. HATED the AF system in the camera. if it was MF I would have kept and used it all
Minolta Hi-Matic 7s11 - I am using this now, but I want a longer lens

I have been looking at the Voigtlander 75mm/2.5 lens.
This seems ideal
My next lens would be a 50mm variant - compact one
Finally a 24 or 28mm

Any suggestions on a camera to use?
Something compact with focus and a meter.
Do I want M39 or M mount?
Not sure the pros and cons

I really liked the look of the Minolta CLE, but it seems to be a bit out of my budget.

Why not try a Bessa R, Bessa R2A or R3A, they all have built in meters. I use the Bessa R and like her but sometimes it would be great to have the AE of the R2A or R3A so maybe the R2A will be my next one. Using screwmount-lenses with M-Mount is no problem, you can use adapters.
You will find here many informations on them.

John

gregarpp said:
What is a CM?

The CM is an absurdedly expensive point and shoot film camera. I wouldn't buy one. The poster may have been refering to a Leica CL, which was a camera released before the CLE.

I wouldn't bother with either of the Leica/Minolta cameras. They take fine photos, but are hard to repair, have short RF baselines, no 75mm frames, and have meter issues unless you pay to get a very nice one. That having been said, if you find a bargin on either of them, it won't be wasted money.

I would pick up a Bessa R2 if you can find one. Or a Bessa R2a if you like having the option of AE and/or fine 90mm framelines important.

But it all comes down to how much money you have to throw at this project. IF you are made of cash, just go out and buy a new M7. It's a fine camera.

The Leica CM is a makeover and update of the Minilux (40mm f2.4 Summarit lens) witha bit of a retro restyle to make it a little M3'ish. The small size, cracking lens and quiet leaf shutter make it a winner for travel.

The original Leica Minilux is discontinued but still around new.

Both models have a zoom variant which is nowhere near as well-thought of.

I'm pretty partial to my Zorki 6 for compactness, but no built in meter. I have a shoe-mount meter for that.

Also, the Fujica 35-SE is nice, and from what I hear, not too expensive. Built in Selenium meter, reflected. Mine's still dead accurate, after all these years.

The Fujica 35-SE is a fixed 45mm lens camera.
I already own a Minolta 7s-11
The CM seems to be the same..

I will look at the Bessa R2
Does the R2 have 90mm framelines?
Only the R2a does?
I will probably never buy a 90mm lens..
most likely the 75mm will be the longest

To tell you the honest truth, the best camera for travel is one that you don't really have to worry about changing lenses on. If it was me, I'd probably take my Canon P and either a 50mm or more likely a 35mm lens. And that's it.

Yeah. Sorry, I'd missed the part where you said you wanted one, specifically, with interchangeable lenses. I'm quite partial to just sort of picking a combo and running with it, especially with travelling. Half the fun is making it work! That might just be my irresponsible, whimsical, youthful attitude, though.

In that case, then, I'd put my hat in for a Leica CL/Minolta CLE. Fantastic camera, nice and small, and on the whole, I'd say worth the $$ for a CLA, especially if it gets that meter working!

When travelling you have to enjoy your travels. That means sometimes leaving your camera behind, like when diving into the ocean or wading in the thermal baths.

If you have a really expensive camera with you it will upset your mental state if it is lost, stolen or damaged.

For travels you might want to take 2 or 3 small cameras with you. This has certain advantages.

One should be an inexpensive rangefinder with as small flash, such as the Canonet QL17 and Canolite D.

The other should be small rangefinder with a short tele. I just picked up the VC 75mm/2.5 lens myself but cannot comment on it yet. Try to find an older screwmount body for that lens which is dependable and cheap. I would leave the 75 on that body for your entire trip.

The third camera could be a point-and-shoot that has a very good wide-angle lens in the focal lengths 24, 28 or 35mm. Or even a very small digital camera possibly.

Happy Trails,
Kevin

This all makes sense.. I should clarify my travel.
Vacations and such, I take my entire Hassy 6x6 kit with me.

I am looking for a work travel camera... something small I can stuff in my carry on bag..

Hahah! Okay, okay, that changes things considerably.

Bessa R2a/R3a (depending on your preference of VF mag) and a 35/50/75 combo would definitely not be a bad choice!

Certainly look at 35mm with one lens only.

If your travel locations are low-crime then go for a premium name. Or otherwise go for a mass market name or an obscure name.

Enjoy the travel. A few years back I used to go to work each day passing Buckingham Palace in London. It was very rare to see anybody watching the Changing of the Guard ceremony except through a camera viewfinder. Nobody ever stood there and watched with their own eyes, and remembered and told their friends and family about the spectacle. Click, click, click.

I am going to look into the Bessa cameras.
Is there any reason why I should get m39 or M mount?
Does it really matter?

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating this option, just mentioning it 'cause no one else
has. For a while B&H had a nice price on the Bessa clone Rollei RF, with the 40 Sonnar, but this goes back a few months. Problem--no 75mm frameline, just 80
(and for sticker shock, check the price of the 80).

Fred

NEVERMIND--I just checked the price and it's UP: $999.95

Last edited:
I'd get the newer ones, with the M mount, since it allows backwards compatability with M39 lenses. There's not really any other mount currently in production, so an M/M39 camera is only logical.

Back