Hello from England

RE: Stonehenge. "Isn't that just a pile of rocks in the middle of a field? "

I'll wait for the druids to show up before I go...

da Vinci, Mona Lisa (La Jaconda). Isn't this just a painting of a smiling lady?

BTW: the druids have been and gone my friend.

Originally Posted by Al Patterson
RE: Stonehenge. "Isn't that just a pile of rocks in the middle of a field? "

I'll wait for the druids to show up before I go...

da Vinci, Mona Lisa (La Jaconda). Isn't this just a painting of a smiling lady?

BTW: the druids have been and gone my friend.

I live less than 2 miles from Stonehenge and drive past it most days, believe me it is just a pile of rocks in a field!

Hello again! Just back from a 5 day driving tour. From Padstow Corwall, we drove into southern Wales to see Raglan Castle and Tinturn Abbey. Driving on the left is "interesting". The next day we walked up Glastonbury Tor and then walked around Stonehenge. These were my 2 must see spots. Unfortunately, that day was constant rain. Then off to Bath for a couple of nights. The pedestrian square in front of the Roman baths and Bath Abbey was very interesting with street buskers performing. There was a Regge guitar player who played a super rendition of Bob Marley's Redemtion Song at my request. Then Warwick Castle and Hampton Court.

My bag is heavy, but carry-able. The Contax Tvs is my colour neg film P+S for family album snaps. In B+W, I'm surprized to find myself using the Leica IIf with 35mm Summaron the most. For special scenes, I pull out a folding MF 6x7 camera. My film cameras were the catalyst of several pleasant sponteanious(sp?) conversations with fellow photographers. I see almost no other film cameras being used at all.

I mis-loaded a roll of film in the IIf one day and took 38 pictures on the film leader. I think the film went in too deep and did not mate with the camera's film advance sprocket. It was my careless fault for not checking to see the film rewind knob not rotating during film advance.

Ta-ta for now. I'll check in a while again.

There is so much photogenic potential here, random point and shootings of the camera will yield fantastic images. (overstated simply to make a point)

Quite jealous over here, Frank...
You're right about the "potential" - it's a feast for the eyes (... and trigger finger, and film, and wallet to buy film...:) )
Have a good time! Hope to see some results when you get back.

Hi Frank,
<snip>

But seriously, you have to try proper chip shop fish and chips (plenty of salt and vinegar mind), a pint of bitter (lager is a girls drink!) and a pub lunch. Something like a Ploughman's followed by bread and butter pudding or apple pie and custard....

Take care!
Darrin

Darrin: I can assure that Frank is ALL over that scene. I'd be shocked if he didn't come back having consulted an NHS cardiologist. :D

I forgot to ask. Which camera was this?

Windscale, it's a Plaubel Makina.

Earl, hey! I resemble that remark! There's a chippy in Hastings that's to die for.

I'm going through my 35mm film rather quickly. Luckily I've got lots of 120 HP5+ left for France. Once I get home and do some printing, I'll be able to say if the MF cameras were worthwhile carrying around.

In small format, I'm finding it much easier to use 35mm as my standard focal length here in England, rather than 50mm that is my fav in Canada.

Last edited:
Saving the high megapixel stuff for the continent. Swing by the Hicks estate. I hear you may be able to do some old fashioned printing there. ;)

Actually, I think spending a day printing with Frances, and Roger, would be cool.

Saw some more typical London sights, and some intersting ones, like Brick Lane on a market day. (Great bagel shop there.) Saw some good camera shops around the British Museum. Saw one guy lugging around a Nikon F2. Yesterday in Rye, my son especially, had fun flying kites on the beach and climbing the dunes. Off to Brighton again tomorrow to prowl the lanes.

Last edited:
Saw some more typical London sights, and some intersting ones, like Brick Lane on a market day. (Great bagel shop there.) Saw some good camera shops around the British Museum. Saw one guy lugging around a Nikon F2. Yesterday in Rye, my son especially, had fun flying kites on the beach and climbing the dunes. Off to Brighton again tomorrow to prowl the lanes.

If you see a guy in a suit in London tomorrow, say hi - that'll be me :)

Damn - didn't take my camera and what happens? : priests using mobile phones, victorian strong men with dumbells, colourful buskers, clear blue skies to contrast with the architecture etc etc . Sigh...lesson learned.

Thomas, I'm using HP5+. I plan on developing it in HC110, 1:100.

Phill, a missed opportunity, I'm sorry! It's always cool to meet people in person as opposed to just on a web-forum, and to meet someone from far away is most interesting.

We spent another day in Brighton yesterday. There is an interesting junk/treasures shop in the Laines with a photo gallery on the second floor. Good stuff by a local photographer. There is a pic of the old peir burning. He also has a pic of an elelphant with large soap bubbles floating in front. It looks like the elephant is laughing. Made me smile.

Hi Frank,
Good to hear that you are having a good time,I hope you have been made welcome.Glad also to hear that you touched on Wales last week.What did you make of the bi-lingual traffic signs?

Enjoy the rest of the trip.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

I'm quite used to bi-lingual signs from English/French Canada, so that was not at all weird for me. In my driving, I've found that the road signage in general is not adequate or clear enough for a visitor's needs. People we've met have all been extremely pleasant and helpful.

Hi Brian,

I'm quite used to bi-lingual signs from English/French Canada, so that was not at all weird for me. In my driving, I've found that the road signage in general is not adequate or clear enough for a visitor's needs. People we've met have all been extremely pleasant and helpful.

I'll be visiting Canada for the first time next week and will be driving between Niagra, Toronto, Ottowa, Montreal and Quebec. Just enough time on the plane to refresh on my school French. I hope the photo opportunity gods shine on me for two weeks.

Darrin

Back