Hello from England

FrankS

Local time
8:44 AM
Having a great time, wish you were here.

My camera gear choice is working out fine. I would not want to change anything. Everything fits in my Domke 802 bag and I can carry everything all day long. I weighed up the individual pieces and it comes out to 4.4 kg. This does not include the bag or film. This is possibly a once in a lifetime experience so I included backup bodies which I utilize for colour and B+W, small format and medium format.

Plaubel Makina, Fuji GS645
Hexar RF, Leica IIf
Canon 28f3.5, Summaron 35f3.5, CV40f1.4, CZJ50f2
CVmeter, 28/35 viewfinder, 50 viewfinder

Enjoy your self Frank.
have some nice english ale.
and bring back some great photos.

maybe not in that order.

Thanks Chris and Joseph. Umbrellas came in handy yesterday, getting heavily rained on in London, twice.

BTW, I saw only one film camera shooter the whole day, but he had a Mamiya 7 with wide angle lens. He noticed the Leica IIf around my neck and we acknowledged each other.

And guess what? The grass really IS greener on this side of the pond. European photographers have it easy. There is so much photogenic potential here, random point and shootings of the camera will yield fantastic images. (overstated simply to make a point)

Hi Frank, glad you're enjoying it over here. If you ignore our food it's a great (if expensive) place to spend some time.

Hi Frank,
Welcome to this sceptred isle. Don't forget to try our hometown food such as a Big Mac, a KFC party bucket or a Big Whopper.

But seriously, you have to try proper chip shop fish and chips (plenty of salt and vinegar mind), a pint of bitter (lager is a girls drink!) and a pub lunch. Something like a Ploughman's followed by bread and butter pudding or apple pie and custard....

If you are in London, head for the London Eye (views over London), the British Museum (great architecture inside) and Covent Garden (a street phtographer's dream). If you had to go one place else, I'd say the Lake District...boy that grass is green there!

Take care!
Darrin

Last edited:
Welcome, welcome, we have very little to offer. Unhealthy food, warm ale and tarted-up teenage mothers. What more could you ask for? (Changed from an '!' just in case Valdemar got annoyed)
In all seriousness, I hope you have a great time in England, there is so much to do, so much to see, so much to eat/drink.
If you're in London, you must check out the Photographers' Gallery, near... ruddy hell... that place... my memory is awful. Googled it, Leicester Square.

Have a good trip and take many photos, Frank. We expect a travel log when you return to your home.

Frank,

Just got back from ten days around London and not a drop of rain, sorry you are catching some wet English hospitality. I began posting my photos today: http://www.ocgarzaphotography.com/gallery2/v/PhotoswithLeicaM8/ - all except for the last photo in my M8 gallery all are with a Leica M8 + Zeiss 21 f2.8 as I left my 35 Voightlander on one of the buses- Yikes in a windbreaker pocket!) If you are staying anywhere near Westminster try the St George's Tavern - great bitter and good English fare - especially the breakfast English sausages ;>)

Stonehenge was nice but if you like rocky photos try Avebury instead for a totally different kind of henge - and even more photographic.

O.C.
Yank from Texas

Last edited:
btw, from experience, avoid kidney pie
What? Good steak and kidney pie is delicious - but it needs to be made with good steak and it should have large chunks of good fresh kidney.

Welcome to the UK Frank, hope you have a great time.

I was wondering where you were, Frank.

Don't miss the Speaker's Corner, Frank, where people literally stand on their soapbox. Is it in Hyde Park? I went to London in '92, and my memories aren't too reliable.

Have a nice trip and shoot rolls and rolls and rolls of keepers! :)

After you have tried all the English specialities, there are plenty of good stuff in the international menu.
Don't miss our Indian curry as England is where all the best Indian cooks (from India) went!
And Greek or Turkish Kebab (Shish and Doner etc.) as well. Yes, all the best Greek and Turkish Chefs also came to England!
So, to sum it up, England, or rather, Great Britain, has the best of all worlds.
I am sure you will get the best of everything. May be a little playing-up regarding the English weather.
Do post all you took for us to see after your trip.

Last edited:
Back