Fuji X100 EVF will turn every picture into a dutch still life!

Anyway, I agree that the HUD in the finder is epic - I really can't wait to get one of these - I've really been pining for a rangefinder style body digital recently. The 5d is just that little bit bulky and awkward. I can't wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
That VF really looks fantastic.

I'm looking for a few things with this camera: 1. autofocus performance. 2. How well the manual focus works in practice. 3. Overall responsiveness of the camera (quick enough for street shooting?) 4. Ease and intuitiveness of changing settings like aperture, shutter speed, ISO. 5. Low-light performance.

I'm looking for a great street-shooting digital camera. For me, it's either this or the M8. I'm going to see what the initial reviews are before I make my decision. If the camera is fatally flawed in one or more of the areas above then I might just bite the bullet and get the M8, but boy would I like to save the extra $1500. Either way, I'm willing to wait until the camera is actually released and we have some feedback from knowledgeable and like-minded folks before I make my decision. Either way, I really don't understand all of the knee-jerk vitriol, at this point.

Last edited:
The comments on engadget website is quite interesting. Almost all of the say its expensive at $1000 -- sadly they don't know that is 1000 Euro and the price is actually $1200.

But this was the best comment that i came across:

i'm pretty sure it's a rangefinder.

How many of us cut our teeth (and continue to do good work) on cameras like the Yashica Gs, or the Minotla 7s, or the Olympus SP or RD. There's a huge amount of extremely serious work that could be done on a fixed-lens camera.

If that fixed lens on the X100 delivers the goods like the 35/2 on the Hexar AF delivers the goods (or the 40mm f1.7 on the Olympus SP delivered the goods) and the camera is snappy and has a good sensor--then people will make the same argument that they make about the Hexar AF...that you're getting a camera as a rear lens cap for the price of a top-notch lens.

Of course, it could have a fatal flaw that will really hinder it's usefulness. All speculation now. Being a fixed lens camera might keep it from your consideration, but enough with the categorical dismissals.

I actually think that this camera is a great thing to haev coming on to the market. The lens is a great focal length and aperture, perfect for a lot of different uses. The manual controls are something which I think are going to be of great use to a lot of people, rather than having to faff around in various menus or with fiddly buttons on the back.

Yes, the price is a fair bit (compared to other compacts) but if it is what it seems to be building up to be, I reckon I could justify the price to myself.

Cripes how the tune changes as it gets closer to release. I am really looking forward to this camera personally. Fixed lens, big deal, i have a couple of fixed lens cameras not an issue, only an issue if it is a lousy lens (doubt it Fuji has made some very fine lenses).
not a true RF. Again big deal, it seems to have updated the rf idea quite nicely. Again if it works well and I can MF with it great.
As for speed I'm pretty certain it will be capable of a fast capture, no reason to think anything different. and do it quietly i would assume too (let's hope there's no beeps and fake shutter sounds)
honestly if it is as good as the hype i think $1000 is a fair price, I also bet it will be $750 withing 6 months as the market advances
I can't buy a leica anywhere near new with a decent lens never mind all the other stuff (even Film) for anywhere near this price so whats the issue. it's another tool in your arsenal, and it's an almost ideal focal length with a sensor processor optimized to the lens (something no multi lens camera can achieve)
Will I buy one. yep if I can scrape together the cash, but i have killed a lot of my spare gear dollars in the last year so it may have to wait. I'm not a dentist lol

Functionally, it's still a D90 sensor in a somewhat more compact and quieter package with the advantages and limitations of a fixed lens and a viewfinder. Pro use? If it's not too gimmicky, pros might replace their GF-1 with it as a backup camera. It's kind of like A.L.'s off-duty Hexar AF that's shown.

The only digital camera that I still want is an M9, the nobody snob that I am.

- Charlie

The only reason Fuji did not show a working model with sample images two months prior to release simply had to do with not trying to mess up the preorders by big retailers...

The logistics and other factors involved make it simply hard to believe that X100 is still not finalized.

Just trying to express my doubts.

That HUD is pretty cool.
I can see why you guys are quite excited with this camera.

What's preventing them from projecting a simulated RF patch?

I'm basically an SLR shooter who tried, then fell in love with, an M6+35/f2 combo. 98% of the time I have a 35mm prime lens on both my D700 and ALL the time on my M6 (it's the only lens I purchased).

My whole reasoning for adding something beyond the D700, which is by the way the best overall camera I've ever used, was to have a light, discreet, fast camera for travel. One body plus one lens forces me to be creative and solve visual problems in the easiest way...move around with my feet. The drawback to the dSLR is which lens to mount to stroll with, and if there is discomfort with a single prime, then strap a big heavy zoom and then suffer the whole day, not including storage. Ever try to go to a nice dinner in a small, quiet restaurant with a big bag full of glass?

For me, the X100 simplifies the camera I now use to travel with...the M6+Zeiss 35/2 combo. If the lens is at least as good as I'm using now (a high standard, I think, but feasible after reading the details), there is not a good argument from a logical standpoint NOT to shoot this camera instead. I'm no Leica snob...the M6 is a good, solid, reliable travel camera. M8, M9...overpriced digicams which are too limiting for their cost.

The X100, as far as digitals go, has to be at LEAST as reliable as an M8 or M9, or any other non-weather sealed electronic camera. In fact, probably better versus the dust monster.

I'm not looking for man-jewelry to hang from my neck...just a travel camera that isn't image-quality limited. As someone alluded to earlier, it sounds like a D300 in a rangefinder body...pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

Feel free to throw darts...it's sounds great to me.

The only reason Fuji did not show a working model with sample images two months prior to release simply had to do with not trying to mess up the preorders by big retailers...

The logistics and other factors involved make it simply hard to believe that X100 is still not finalized.

Just trying to express my doubts.

You really think this camera is going to be quite the failure huh? :bang:

Feel free to throw darts...it's sounds great to me.

I think most who hate the camera are film users, those who can't get past it trying to look like a Leica, and people who need to swap lenses a lot.

It sounds great to me as well.

^^ For all of the reason David states above is why I find the x100, or rather the idea of the x100 and its design, appealing.

way too many deleted comments in this thread...

i do not care what the topic of conversation is...negative comments about other members WILL NOT BE TOLERATED...please consider this your only notice...you will be banned, perhaps for a day or 2 or permanently, without discussion!

be civil or be gone...

$1000 USD, or even $1200 USD, is a totally reasonable price for this camera.

This is about the same price the Contax T3 sold for and you don't have to buy film. And there's a bunch of other things in favour of the X100.

Can't argue with the price IMHO.

Still a very appealing camera to me. Nothing so far is lessening my initial expectations.

People today are spoiled. Cameras used to be incredibly expensive before they were consumerized. Obviously Fuji wants to sell a lot of these babies, but if I were to classify it, I would easily put it into the professional category over the amateur category.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2011/01/looking-to-the-past.html

$4222: Zeiss Ikon Contax S - 1949 (with f2 lens)
$3982: Leica IIIc - 1946 (with f2 lens)
$3733: Leicaflex - 1964 (with f2 lens)
$3560: Leica M3 - 1954 (with f2 lens)
$3337: Zeiss Ikon Contax IIa - 1950 (with f2 lens)
$3257: Zeiss Ikon Contarex - 1958 (with f2 lens)

Back