Fuji X100 EVF will turn every picture into a dutch still life!

sper

-
Local time
4:36 PM
You can see it sort of being toggled on and off, except maybe for pre production purposes it brings up a view of some photograph, otherwise I just saw what looks like a regular HUD, which is wayyy cooler than I thought it would be. Great design they've come up with here. Unless I'm wrong and the view was mostly the EVF on...but then I don't know what the deal with that apple picture was...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/13/fujifilms-x100-hybrid-viewfinder-demoed-on-video-gets-us-all-s/

I like the HUD. It's way more advanced than the M9Ti's LED frame lines. I wonder how it will handle manual focus though.

Can we change the name of this forum to Mirrorless Compacts, or some variation. The Sony NEX, the Fuji X100, and the sad Samsung cameras need a true home.

Last edited:
I can see it as a very good hobbyist camera for people who know how to take good pictures, but don't get into the gear. You know, our polar opposites :D

Well I'm not really "into the gear" myself and there is nothing I would like better than an old styled camera with digital sensor,...however, this thing is just for posers who have a thousand dollars to burn,...it can't be serious.

The fixed lens design is part of Fuji's thing. I get it.

I was just selling a guy a Fuji 6x9 at the store yesterday and I told him "I owned a Hasselblad for years and it's a great camera, with a ton of awesome lenses, but the reality was I could only afford the 80mm, so I look at the Fuji 6x9 and think, well I couldn't afford other lenses anyways, so why not?"

It's a true story. I (so far, totally am saving for the CV 20mm 3.5) only have the CV 40mm Ultron for my 5D2, and a 135mm APO Symmar for my Toyo. So why not a fixed lens? If their marketing turns out to be true it should be one truly fantastic 35mm(~e) lens.

And one thing to consider, if this is a successful concept for Fuji, who knows what they'll develop. I could see them producing a system camera if it's viable. The only company producing one for pros so far is Leica, and nobody wants another $7K snob system. M4/3rds and the NEX are too based in consumer cameras to make them attractive to 'photographers.'

So far the most innovative 'rangefinder type' design with serious quality and interchangable lenses has been the Contax G system, which failed.

It's a big question mark, but we'll see what happens around March. Which also happens to be my birthday month! This poor Brooklyn camera salesman takes charitable donations!

Why so serious?

Think about the fixed lens cameras that are huge success in their own way. Contax T series, Nikon 35 and 28Ti, those weird but kinda neat Ricoh cameras, Rollei 35s...

...and my personal favorite, the Olympus Stylus Epic! My first ever camera, which I promptly destroyed in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area as a young lad. I have only recently purchased a replacement, for $50 dollars. For what it is, I consider it pretty 'serious.'

I love the thread's headline - it gave me a good laugh, remembering the video.

But - doesn't that thread somehow reside in the wrong forum?

but then I don't know what the deal with that apple picture was...

Every time you switch between OVF to EVF there is a time delay, and during that time you see picture of the apples. Switching back to OVF has no time delay.

This is just a guess, I have not tried X100 yet.

...this thing is just for posers who have a thousand dollars to burn,...it can't be serious.

Yes, because only posers use fixed lens cameras.

20070101HO_TV_Annie_Leibovitz_450.jpg

:rolleyes:

That would be a Hexar AF around Ann L's neck.)

For those offering negative comments with put-downs (eg. loser, poser), I urge you to "keep your stick on the ice", a Canadian hockey-ism which means roughly: play fairly like gentlemen. If this camera is is not your thing, fine, explain why, without belittling those who express positive opinions about it. This reminds me of the pre-release period of the M8 all over again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back