DP2 Merrill observations

If you use a Mac then give Iridient Developer a try for raw files. Much faster than the Sigma software and very capable. It even has a method to extract a monochrome image that is, as far as I am aware, a native luminance image, with no mixing of RGB pixels. Kind of a poor man's Monochrom, plus you still get the luscious colour image to work with.

Worth a look,

Kirk

Well my interest is piqued, but I am sticking with JPG mode. I will however save RAW images for future potential image manipulations.

IMHO you night as well pick a different camera. There are far better choices for JPG shooting. The only reason to put up with the PITA aspects of the merrills is to be able to work with the amazing raw files.

For the last few days, I've been shooting with a new DP2M, coming from original DP1 and DP2 cameras. Some things I've noticed:

- battery life is ridiculous, especially in these early days of using the screen often to change and experiment with settings. The classic DP cameras had twice the battery life! The DP2M is a step backwards in that regard, ugh.

- operation is much more streamlined, shooting is faster and more quiet. However, I'm noticing that while it can focus faster than the DP2, it can flub focus more often, as well.

- Auto processing in SPP no longer creates those gorgeously luminous files that the DP1 and DP2 had as a unique feature. This disappointed me, intitially. I've had to take side by side test files with the DP2 and DP2M and adjust the DP2M image until it better approximated the look I wanted. Then I saved the settings as a custom preset, and now I'm good to go.

- colour accuracy is much better than the original DP2, which is kind of greenish. At the same time, I like the greenish cast of the DP2, so I've made a preset which emulates this in SPP. Under normal circumstances, the DP2M produces very true to life images, and with a colour palette that reminds me of the Ricoh GR and GXR aps-c modules.

- the processed raw files have a richness and density that I associate more with full frame cameras.

- Edited to add: shutter speed is limited to 1/1250 when shooting at f2.8, presumably because the shutter and aperture iris are the same mechanism, and it cannot physically move fast enough to shoot at higher speeds while maintaining f2.8.

Overall, I'm really getting into this camera. The raw files are malleable enough to be able to give me a pretty good classic Foveon look, as well as a more conventional colour palette. Operation is way better than the original DP1 and DP2, although I still love the classic rendering.

I've had the original DP1 since it came out. Got a used DP2 Merrill I've had for 10 days and am still deciding whether to keep it or return to KEH.

I do like the controls better than the old DP1 but I was initially a bit disappointed with the RAW files, in that every daylight image seems to have a slight brownish color cast that needs to be adjusted in photoshop. At this point at least, I don't see the files being any better than the old DP1, unless you're looking to print larger. I'm thinking about trading back for a DP2s which has a slightly wider focal length, would save some money, and is a bit more compact.

I also have a Leica M240 and can say that while the Sigma files have a unique look to them, overall they are NOT superior to Leica's full frame. The Leica DNG color files are usually dead on, with some adjustment optional for personal taste. High ISO performance is good for night shots up to 3200. Not thrilled with b&w conversions for the most part though with the Leica. I'm still a film guy when it comes to b&w.

Back