AF 50 Lux

Built for speed?
The complaint from other users is that the AF of the 50 SL is horrendously slow.

And just for fun:

M10%20vs%20SL_zpsdecppe22.jpg

Huss,

As far as shooting goes I did not find it slow. As a rig the camera was a fast shooter.

Perhaps the AF is not as rapid as other cameras or lenses, and in comparision I found the 24-90 to be faster on my SL. In comparing the SL with 50 Lux-SL to a Nikon D3X with 58/1.4 AF-G it is hard to say which camera is the faster shooter.

While the Nikon likely has a faster AF, the rest of the camera was not as speedy as the SL; and conversely the 50 Lux-SL might not have as speedy an AF but the overall camera as a rig I say matches the speed of the D3X 58/1.4 AF-D rig. Like I said hard to say which is the faster shooter.

For the D3X and SL comparision I used AFS and single point focus point. In one regard the SL was a very clear winner. While the AF likely is slower it really nailed the focus, so I would gauge the SL to be more accurate.

I did an indoor shoot in my apartment due to a blizzard here in NYC, and I was really surprised that in no time I had taken around 400 shots. Like I said a fast shooter. When I downloaded and checked on my EIZO I took note of the consistancy of nailing the focus, and this was using ambiant lighting and not using film speed or shutter speed to my advantage.

The D3X would not have done as well. So slower yes, but more accurate. Which would you choose? Also know that I was shooting head-to-toes shots for fashion from 10-12 feet away.

The weather has been bitter. Not a lot of testing, only a taste, but I can already tell you I like this lens.

The rig surely is big and heavy.

Cal

Yeah, I'm more of a M10 guy... the SL is beautiful, but I'll leave the monsters to Cal... ;)

John,

You coined the term "Monsters" when referring to some of my cameras. Now I have a reputation. LOL.

The M's are mighty compact. BTW Christian thinks my Monster SL weighs as much as his 4x5 Linhoff.

Cal

The one time I handled an SL was at its launch in Sydney. It seemed to me that the SL body, if you disregard the handgrip, was just about the same size as an M240 with EVF attached, which conveniently someone had alongside for comparison. The SL lenses though are an entirely different matter, size-wise, even when compared to other AF full frame lenses. Still, it's a handsome system, and as responsive as I would need, as far as I could tell with that one acquaintance.

Back