A Hasselblad, more than 40 years after first looking.

My post might have been worded poorly. It was adopted but not by me. A crushing burden but off my chest.

My poor man's substitute might be something like a Bronica EC-TL? Nah.
Ah sorry that didn't become yours.

I've always been curious about the Kiev Hasselblad copies -- wonder if, once fully sorted, they're any good?

I've always been curious about the Kiev Hasselblad copies -- wonder if, once fully sorted, they're any good?
In a word, DON'T!!! I've had several in the past, supposedly brought up to snuff by the American importer. Still plagued with problems: misaligned mirrors, light leaks, erratic shutters, etc. Possibly, if you can find one rebuilt by Arax, you might stand a chance of success, but they're no longer doing their conversions. It's a shame, since there were some great lenses made for them, especially if you find can some of the Zeiss Jena Pentacon lenses in P6 mount, usable on an Arax with the mount converted.
If I were to attempt another romp with a 6x6 FSU camera, I would consider a Pentacon Six/Praktisix, just for the lenses. And I do think the East German manufacturers of the Pentacon line maintained, post-war, as much as possible of that traditional German pride in craftsmanship. I've almost talked myself into a Praktisix on several occasions, since I have a number of their lenses that I use with adapters on my Pentax 645N. However, finding one in good condition, ideally CLA'd, has become difficult. All the ones I see online are from Germany, vastly overpriced, or Ukraine, which is no doubt fraught with delivery issues because of the war.
And of course, you can't fit a digital back on one of those, unless your "camera whisperer" is even more capable than I can imagine!

In a word, DON'T!!! I've had several in the past, supposedly brought up to snuff by the American importer. Still plagued with problems: misaligned mirrors, light leaks, erratic shutters, etc. Possibly, if you can find one rebuilt by Arax, you might stand a chance of success, but they're no longer doing their conversions. It's a shame, since there were some great lenses made for them, especially if you find can some of the Zeiss Jena Pentacon lenses in P6 mount, usable on an Arax with the mount converted.
If I were to attempt another romp with a 6x6 FSU camera, I would consider a Pentacon Six/Praktisix, just for the lenses. And I do think the East German manufacturers of the Pentacon line maintained, post-war, as much as possible of that traditional German pride in craftsmanship. I've almost talked myself into a Praktisix on several occasions, since I have a number of their lenses that I use with adapters on my Pentax 645N. However, finding one in good condition, ideally CLA'd, has become difficult. All the ones I see online are from Germany, vastly overpriced, or Ukraine, which is no doubt fraught with delivery issues because of the war.
And of course, you can't fit a digital back on one of those, unless your "camera whisperer" is even more capable than I can imagine!
Don't worry I won't be diving down that hole anytime soon -- was just curious.

However, it's likely that I will get a 1600f soon (I know, maybe an even worse form of torture!). My Hasselblad guy has one set aside for me to do the modifications, so he's just waiting on me.

You know someone who will work on these old 1000 series cameras? I don't think Odess will do it....but maybe?

I hope it's not some secret.

You know someone who will work on these old 1000 series cameras? I don't think Odess will do it....but maybe?

I hope it's not some secret.
Barn Owl Cameras in Massachusetts. Jim Kilroy.

No David Odess does not work on them, but Ross Yerkes might, and I think that fellow 3R Camera in Naples FL works on them as well.

Mine was a particularly nice example of a post-USSR "88CM", but even long before the war, the supply of CMs became scarce, and resale prices went kind of nutty. So what could I do? I sold it. Although mine had a rapid-wind crank, I preferred gently cranking it via the knob. Didn't use it extensively, but when I did use it, it worked without drama. But as much as I enjoy fussing with Soviet and FSU cameras, when real Hasselblads can sometimes be had for less money, maybe it's time to reevaluate one's priorities.
_A020054.jpg

Last edited:

I've had a Kiev 88 since December. It lasted 3 rolls and it's on a 2nd warranty trip to Ukraine. Hopefully it'll work when I get it back. The focussing screen is nice but everything else is pretty rough. But they are much more common then the 1000f/1600f and can use the same lenses (I have a couple).

I've had a Kiev 88 since December. It lasted 3 rolls and it's on a 2nd warranty trip to Ukraine. Hopefully it'll work when I get it back. The focussing screen is nice but everything else is pretty rough. But they are much more common then the 1000f/1600f and can use the same lenses (I have a couple).
For my curiosity, and for the benefit of other members, what difficulties, if any, have you had with shipments to and from Ukraine? Beyond that, you have my sympathy with your Kiev problems! The only FSU camera I've ever purchased that really delivered is my Iskra 6x6 rangefinder, solidly made and well finished, but still with a few, er, quirks. But the Industar lens makes everything worth it!

For my curiosity, and for the benefit of other members, what difficulties, if any, have you had with shipments to and from Ukraine? Beyond that, you have my sympathy with your Kiev problems! The only FSU camera I've ever purchased that really delivered is my Iskra 6x6 rangefinder, solidly made and well finished, but still with a few, er, quirks. But the Industar lens makes everything worth it!
No difficulties beside the transit time which is up to 3 weeks. Times 5 in my case!

Back