A Hasselblad, more than 40 years after first looking.

With the 1000f, 80mm Opton Tessar and Delta 100. Nothing exciting, just keeping the wheels turning.

Galisteo2 by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

I just sent one of my 1000f’s along with the CFV II 50c digital back to my Hasselblad repair guru to have them mated to one another. The bottom latches of the camera body need to be adjusted and the little pin on the back of the camera needs to be shortened for it to work. I’ll still be able to use film backs on the camera, but only the ones from 1955 onward.

Last edited:
Sitting here in our kitchen having a glass of wine, what better thing to do than to take a picture (cell phone sorry) of a Hasselblad, and with our new table cloth no less. I mean why not.

I know I’ve posted pictures of the 500c before, but not with this lens. This is the 621st 500c made (1957), along with a 1957 6-element 80/2.8 Planar. Not sure if there’s anything magical about the 6-element Planars, but they’re not as common as the later versions. This one falls into the earlier realm of serial numbers for this lens (159xxxx), and it’s been completely gone-through and works well. The lens hood is supposed to be ‘rare’ — the metal ‘crinkle finish’ version. The 500c body has had a similar spit-n-polish as the lens and works great.

Sorry the back isn’t a 1957, it’s a 1955 (CC), and the focusing handle didn’t come about until around 1960. Not so sure about the meter knob. The focusing handle is not the prettiest of accessories but it does help with these older Hasselblad lenses. If photographers back in the day didn’t have carpal tunnel, they’d sure get it using lenses such as this.

Hasselblad 500c #621 by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Last edited:
I never tire of seeing a Hasselblad. That is a great set up, the nickel Elmar Leica II of Hasselblad 500s perhaps.
You know the funny thing Richard is that I got that 500c body several years ago from KEH in ‘as-is’ condition for under $100. The lens came from my Hasselblad whisperer, so I had to pay top dollar for that. It’s a beautiful kit, only thing is that focusing screen with the fresnel isn’t the easiest thing to focus with, so most times I prefer my 500c/m.

I finally got my 503CW which was CLA'd by Hasselblad shortly before I bought it, along with an 80 CF f2.8, a 50 CF f4, and a CF 150 f4. I bought two different prisms, a 45-metered prism, and a 90-straight prism. Handholding with an unreversed viewfinder doesn't work for me. I quickly learned what all the past hype of using a Hasselblad was about.

It works!

Digital 1000f by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

A few modifications were needed in order for this to work, so it's not just a simple plug'n'play with the 1000f (and by extension the 1600f too). However I'm still able to use film backs made after 1955 on the camera and it seems to work just fine. Photos next!

It works!

Digital 1000f by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

A few modifications were needed in order for this to work, so it's not just a simple plug'n'play with the 1000f (and by extension the 1600f too). However I'm still able to use film backs made after 1955 on the camera and it seems to work just fine. Photos next!
Very, very cool! And just ignore anyone who asks "Why?"

I am an old man but never got into proper photography to the extent of buying Hasselblad et al. In fact, my interest started in the digital age with a Nikon D50.

Nevertheless, reading the original post was extremely interesting ...

... thank you !!

Vince, I love your camera hacks. Clearly, you're a tinkerer who loves to try this stuff, just because you can. I'm currently slapping all sorts of optical goodies onto the focusing helicoid of my Bronica S2A; some of it actually works, and if I'm really lucky, I might come up with a new tool for a new way of seeing. And if not, it's still fun! "Why the heck not?"

I finally got my 503CW which was CLA'd by Hasselblad shortly before I bought it, along with an 80 CF f2.8, a 50 CF f4, and a CF 150 f4. I bought two different prisms, a 45-metered prism, and a 90-straight prism. Handholding with an unreversed viewfinder doesn't work for me. I quickly learned what all the past hype of using a Hasselblad was about.
Congratulations on a fine kit. The 45 prism is terrific and allows you to shoot higher on the tripod. It makes the camera heavier, and a bit top heavy in the hand. The PME90 is essential for close up with the camera vertical.

I am an old man but never got into proper photography to the extent of buying Hasselblad et al. In fact, my interest started in the digital age with a Nikon D50.

Nevertheless, reading the original post was extremely interesting ...

... thank you !!
I will call you Ted. Thanks for looking and posting this nice message.

There is something delicious about the rendering you get with those old 1000F lenses.

Anybody here remember that famous Smirnoff Vodka ad photo from the '50s, where Bert Stern got the image of the Pyramid of Giza inverted in the Smirnoff martini glass? Taken with a 1000F with 80mm lens, a legendary advertising photograph. Your lemon photo made me think of that one.

Vince, Man that's mighty clever of you to adapt the 1000F body to the 907X back, I'm envious.

There is something delicious about the rendering you get with those old 1000F lenses.

Anybody here remember that famous Smirnoff Vodka ad photo from the '50s, where Bert Stern got the image of the Pyramid of Giza inverted in the Smirnoff martini glass? Taken with a 1000F with 80mm lens, a legendary advertising photograph. Your lemon photo made me think of that one.

Vince, Man that's mighty clever of you to adapt the 1000F body to the 907X back, I'm envious.
1600f is next :)

Back