X1D pics.

Thanks for the confirmation that where I’ve stumbled with this is best practice! Phocus to start, and export as a tiff that I bring into PS. I have some ND here already, but once the leaves are out I’ll have plenty of long exposure fun in the woods with this. Hopefully the 21mm will be out soon.

The things I’ve put in paper are remarkably snappy. Hoping to get something soon to splurge with a full size print to see what this thing is at native size. I have one image of an auto paint shop window covered with overspray that might be it, but will decide after this trip.

Dang, wish I was up that way to shoot too.

I will send you an email on some updates of what we are up to. So many possibilities with this sensor! Only drawback is I can't seem to go back to the smaller sensors because the images we are using now are absolutely huge in final print size. But I am enjoying shooting the 503cxi alongside and comparing the differences. Two different approaches and both have their own sweet spots for final images.

Post some more! You are putting a smile on my face!:)

Will get some more up this coming week. I’m shooting this alongside the 667W on this trip. With the Ricoh GR for the rain and a Nikon 28Ti for nighttime wandering. The Ricoh took a fall on the last trip and the flash is no more, but I forgot about sending it in.

Settling in well with the camera. Was out on a pre-dawn walk with an old friend through Chinatown in NYC Thursday morning. High ISO performance is very good, with only a few bright pixels in extreme shadows. Barley any need for noise reduction. These two at 6400.

Then onto Pine Bush NY Saturday for some bright sun.

This trip has finally gotten me very comfortable with the camera. Have a few settings I'd like to tweak on the rear screen, but wouldn't mind if I left it as is. And I will need to come up with some good gloves that will let me work the touchscreen by this coming fall.

Continuing to settle in with the camera, and liking it more by the day.

All with the 45mm, still waiting for the 21 to be released, but that will be soon according to Hasselblad US.

Out again today for a bit after the rain stopped.

South Kirby, VT.

Lyndonville, VT

Waterford, VT

Shot this alongside the 810 this time. A really nice pair to have in the car.

Like the separation between the trees and background in this-it's very 3 dimensional. I'm sure the larger sensor helps with that somewhat.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you produce with the 21 once it ships.

Thanks! On my way home via Waterford today. Very circuitous but managed a few sheets of 810 in some very nice light. This spot made me think I need some Portra 400 on hand.

I’ve read that the 21s land in the US Monday or Tuesday, then get shipped out. Might have it in hand this week. Just in time too, the leaves are about open.

21 in hand. Initial impressions:

1) Focus ring is much less damped than the 45.
2) Very good balance on the camera.
3) It is really wide!

A few quickly processed files from the Town Forest today. Practicing for a day out at a friends sugar woods on Tuesday. Very different than working with the M9 files from the woods. Will maybe dive into Phocus a bit more and see what that may bring to these.

I'm going to need to do some white balance work when in the woods.

Had a great morning out at a friends sugarbush over in Cabot this morning with the 21mm. Just what I was hoping it would do:

42739966241_94c50ea968_b.jpg

Hardwick VT.
45mm

Have you done much printing from this yet?

No. Been working on a book project which is all B&W film, so was in the darkroom for a while, then onto scans and now PS at this point. I will be doing some dummy printing for that project this week, so should finally get a few X1D things on paper also. Once the college starts back up I think I am going to get to run a full size print on their new big printer, to see what this really does. Will also try scaling one up to the max the printer can do, if they'll let me...

Back