what's the opposite of apug?

Probably dpreview because each and every thread that even mentions film gets trolled by those whose duty it is in the world to tell everyone how great their particular digital camera is and how rubbish everything else in the world is. When its not film its different digital formats, the mere breathing of the word equivalence whilst you type is like an incantation to open the 7 gates...... or something like that.

That's why I like this forum. Despite the name, there's so many sub-communities and it really feels like a community. I often cross-reference APUG and DPUG for certain technical issues, but this is where I actually enjoy the conversation.

Funny...I'm strictly a film shooter & I enjoy reading the digital forums here on RFF more than I do anything APUG has to offer. I probably shouldn't feel this way but I feel Apug is all about you being a paid subscriber to make money off of you. Here, even when we had the option to buy subscriptions it felt more like you wanted to do so simply because you were helping Jorge & the site. Most benefits didn't change all that much.

to be honest…there are times when reading some comment about film vs digital, or about film cameras being better etc…that i long for a peaceful place that has none of that.

i love rff, always will, but there are times when i feel too tense to be here.

that being said…i find facebook camera/photo groups to be dreadfully trying…filled with morons and kids who think they know something…i want to scream at times.

to be honest…there are times when reading some comment about film vs digital, or about film cameras being better etc…that i long for a peaceful place that has none of that.

Which RFF thread are you referring to?
It's been a long time since I read a thread where people still adamantly say that film cameras are better (better at what, exactly?).

Passionately *prefer* film camera, there's a lot of that going on here, but surely that's not what's bugging you.

Which RFF thread are you referring to?
It's been a long time since I read a thread where people still adamantly say that film cameras are better (better at what, exactly?).

Passionately *prefer* film camera, there's a lot of that going on here, but surely that's not what's bugging you.

no thread in particular comes to mind…it's not the overt comments alone that bother me but the silly ones as well…someone had a sig line that read 'film is for real men', for instance.

to be honest…there are times when reading some comment about film vs digital, or about film cameras being better etc…that i long for a peaceful place that has none of that...

Can't blame you. Sometimes I feel like that and I am a film user. Perhaps it's the frequent this vs that thing. As if you belong to a tribe and everyone else is a mortal enemy. A male thing, it seems to me.

i love rff, always will, but there are times when i feel too tense to be here.

that being said…i find facebook camera/photo groups to be dreadfully trying…filled with morons and kids who think they know something…i want to scream at times.

Worse, once you think you are done with a discussion, it starts all over again with fresh recruits. The nature of things I suppose. Sometimes you just have to tune out, go for a drink with a friend. That's all one can do.

Can't blame you. Sometimes I feel like that and I am a film user. Perhaps it's the frequent this vs that thing. As if you belong to a tribe and everyone else is a mortal enemy. A male thing, it seems to me.

Worse, once you think you are done with a discussion, it starts all over again with fresh recruits. The nature of things I suppose. Sometimes you just have to tune out, go for a drink with a friend. That's all one can do.

i have been feeling the need to spend more time away from the net…from all of it, but there is a subtle addiction to it…that feeling of 'what will i miss' if i don't check in.
stephen has left me with all same 'powers' that i had as a mod and i find the temptation to 'check in' overwhelming.

i have been feeling the need to spend more time away from the net…from all of it, but there is a subtle addiction to it…that feeling of 'what will i miss' if i don't check in.
stephen has left me with all same 'powers' that i had as a mod and i find the temptation to 'check in' overwhelming.

Now there is a sensible idea; I should follow it myself. I manage it pretty well during the summer, can't think of anything I've ever missed, and get a heck of a lot more photography done.

Still, it is very addicting, and hard to not check in constantly. I'd much rather have a real life photography connection for socializing and sharing, but those days are pretty much over for most of us.

BTW, I'm a film shooter; that is what gives me the most enjoyment working and the most satisfaction. I see the hype on all sides, and no real connection with making good pictures.

A big part of why I joined RFF is that my lurking told me there is far less of a tendency towards tribalism than most other photography forums that are related to the tools used here.

i thought it was a joke...

Me too ! that's kinda awesome though

no thread in particular comes to mind…it's not the overt comments alone that bother me but the silly ones as well…someone had a sig line that read 'film is for real men', for instance.

Although I agree they can be tiring, but I think that even if you were on a 100% digital forum, that doesn't mean film doesn't exist and surely someone will mention it once in a while. Maybe even make fun of those RFF film fanatics, who knows :eek: :D

Back