New Hassleblad X1D System

agree with most of this, but how can 'lenses from many formats' be useable when the camera does not have a mechanical shutter?

I doubt that adaptable lenses are that much on a professional medium format photographers mind - the more so when it comes to compact highly integrated bodies. The (relatively few) professional tinkerers will stay with the digital medium format view cameras they already have been using, as these permit tinkering at every level, way beyond adapting lenses from relatively similar systems...

agree with most of this, but how can 'lenses from many formats' be useable when the camera does not have a mechanical shutter? i think this is a pretty big strategic issue that has so far not been explored.

Rumor has it that a future firmware update will provide an electronic shutter function.

agree with most of this, but how can 'lenses from many formats' be useable when the camera does not have a mechanical shutter?

The Hasselblad adapter must have a built in mechanical shutter. So long as a lens can be adapter-stacked to that mount then theoretically it in turn should be able to use that OEM adapter's shutter.

Considering the flange distance that the adapter would have though, not sure how many lenses could realistically be adapted to focus at infinity.

thanks sevo. could you help educate me and others as to why hassy is the only mirrorless mfg who delivers a camera without a shutter? what is the benefit? what are the drawbacks?

thanks sevo. could you help educate me and others as to why hassy is the only mirrorless mfg who delivers a camera without a shutter? what is the benefit? what are the drawbacks?

Hasselblad comes from a professional medium format background - and in studio (or other stage set) work (the main application of these cameras) a leaf shutter will work with flash at any speed, while the large focal plane shutters required for medium format usually are limited to little more than 1/60s, so most photographers prefer the former.

Some time in the 1980s Hasselblad released a heavily advertised sideline of focal plane shutter cameras within the V series, which is generally considered a failure (both on the market and in terms of reliability), so they might have simply decided from past experience. But they probably also did some customer research and determined that the photographers that would buy a camera explicitly for a FP shutter are outnumbered by those deterred by a lack of a leaf shutter or the cost of a dual shutter system.

Please name a smaller medium format digital camera with smaller AF lenses.

That's not really my point. It's like with the Sony cameras, a lot of people feel the size differential is less when it has a lens on it, because some of the lenses are beefy.

It's not a criticism of the Hassleblad as such, just a reaction to seeing the body only photo Vs the body with lens photo.

Yeah not that impressed with that 90mm f/4.5; consider that Rollei had/has the 110mm/2 Zeiss with between the lens shutter (something not able to do with the mirrored Hassie FE lens) as well as the Xenotar 80mm/2 with shutter so I KNOW that at least a 2.8 would be realistic as a normal lens. 4.5 is a joke for a Normal

Yeah not that impressed with that 90mm f/4.5; consider that Rollei had/has the 110mm/2 Zeiss with between the lens shutter (something not able to do with the mirrored Hassie FE lens) as well as the Xenotar 80mm/2 with shutter so I KNOW that at least a 2.8 would be realistic as a normal lens. 4.5 is a joke for a Normal

The 90mm lens seems to be f/3.2 actually which is not too bad. I think they were going for compactness over speed.

Yellow Flag - Caution Photokina Ahead

Photokina is just a few months away folks!

Who knows what new digital medium format systems will be introduced there?

Rather than rushing out to buy that new Hassy - which looks great!

It might be wise to wait and see what Santa Claus Photokina has to tempt your fancy!

Was looking at the size of the body. It slots right in between the Leica SL and the Leica M/M-P typ 240 but all three are really quite similar:

Hasselblad X1D dimensions: 150x98x71 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)
Leica SL Typ 601 dimensions: 147x104x39 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)
Leica M dimensions: 139x80x42 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)
Info from CameraSize.com

A composite of four view of all three cameras:

X1D-Leica_omparo_small.jpg

Hasselblad X1D is 2% (3 mm) wider and 6% (6 mm) shorter than Leica SL Typ 601.
Hasselblad X1D is 82% (32 mm) thicker than Leica SL Typ 601.
Hasselblad X1D [725 g] weights 14% (122 grams) less than Leica SL Typ 601 [847 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

Hasselblad X1D is 8% (11 mm) wider and 23% (18 mm) taller than Leica M.
Hasselblad X1D is 69% (29 mm) thicker than Leica M.
Hasselblad X1D [725 g] weights 7% (45 grams) more than Leica M [680 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).
Info from CameraSize.com

The SL24-90 zoom is of course quite large, and there's no comparable X1D lens at present.
I'll have to measure my SWC to see how it compares to the X1D with its lenses. :angel:

G

I absolutely love it!

BH Photo has a less than 9k price. Seems cheap compared to the H4 my friend tried to sell me in 2008 during the real estate bust. I could not afford it then (25k) and he committed suicide the next day because he lost everything in The Recession.

I love the look and size but not one to ever afford such a thing, I would love a Hassy like this!:cool:

The problem with the X-pan was that there were no fast lenses.
If it had a M-mount both wide native and fast 3rd party lenses could have been used.

The X1D has the same issue - so the traveller needs to carry two camera systems : MF/slow and FF/fast.

One thing that really amazes me with this camera is the fact that it comes in at two and a half grand more than the latest Pro Nikon body ... the D5!

I realise these two cameras are pretty well at cross purposes in their intentions but I still feel that for what it is it's not hugely expensive.

My original comment was that I liked the new camera.
In actual size dept., availability of lenses, actual usability,
the Leica M is still a long way ahead.
Competing with Canon and Nikon a bad idea..
Truth tell, all of you, using smaller formats( Panasonic-Olympus etc.) have nothing to fear.
I remember reading a piece where a Canon-G compact was matched against a Phase One.
Ctein asked a number of pro folks which was compact, which Phase One.
Only two I think got it right, looking at actual prints!
All the best to Hassie.

Last edited:
Back