New Hassleblad X1D System

Do you think this might be a new series that later may have more products?

It seems like a large price discount on their other digital cameras.

I am amazed by Hasselblad's ability to consistently bring such ugly digital cameras to the market. They must be working with designers from hell.

Did I miss the part where I can use my "legacy glass"? ;)

I remember the day I got my 500C, used from a local camera dealer in Oakland, CA. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It still sits on the shelf behind me. . . I have taken some of my favorite pictures with it. At some point in the future, I hope the price/performance curves cross again for me with Hassie. It won't this decade, I don't think.

I am amazed by Hasselblad's ability to consistently bring such ugly digital cameras to the market. They must be working with designers from hell.

They certainly lost their mojo. Hopefully Fuji (the likely maker of that thing) will sell a slightly less uglified version under their own brand, as they did before...

Do you think this might be a new series that later may have more products?

It seems like a large price discount on their other digital cameras.

Yes. They'll probably release some more lenses but I think a majority of their sales will come from adapters for the H and V lenses. It would be incredibly stupid for them not to release some adapters. That also opens up the doors for all the other MF system lenses that are out there...

Did I miss the part where I can use my "legacy glass"? ;)

I remember the day I got my 500C, used from a local camera dealer in Oakland, CA. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It still sits on the shelf behind me. . . I have taken some of my favorite pictures with it. At some point in the future, I hope the price/performance curves cross again for me with Hassie. It won't this decade, I don't think.

They'd be stupid not to release adapters for their H and V lenses. I'm sure someone like Novoflex will come out with adapters for other MF system lenses too.

I actually like the look. utilitarian, clean. They could do without the logo, though.

The question is, how much "sensor" would I be getting if I shot this with an FF lens but cropped to square. 32x32? On that note, would the longer M lenses (75/90) actually cover more than FF?

Actually I think this is a nice design. Very german, very slick and robust looking. For me personally the best looking digital cameras have been this one, Sigma Sd Quatro and Leica S line. But I don't own any of them..

It would seem Hassy is aiming for both the Leica SL and S2.

It will be more than interesting how the images compare.

I wonder if Hassy can figure out how to build zooms that weigh less than five pounds and have smaller than 82mm filters.
Probably not. If Leica can't do it for the SL, it must be impossible. :bang:

I think the design looks great and will likely be fairly light too since it is reported to be using the same medium format sensor that is in my CFV50C back...which costs more than this by the way.

Funny thing is that Hasselblad has always been expensive gear, even pre-digital and yet with all these newbies to photography and old timers who relish the great deals they now get on used V system components, well Hasselblad is not allowed to charge enough to cover their R&D and employee's salaries...so they constantly catch flak from the bitter peanut gallery.

I expect the two lenses to be light too and V, H system adapters to be out of the gate right away.

Go Hasselblad, best camera system ever made!

if it's definitely MF (645 size?) then the body seems much slimmer than the other digital MF cameras out there.
if the sensor sits so close to the mount then there there might definitely be a chance to mount legacy MF lenses

The interesting question will be whether it has a focal plane shutter. A leaf-shuttered camera might appeal more to their professional customers - but it would make that thing fairly useless as a Sony style generic adapted lens carrier...

What I really want to see is them release a fast prime for this system. Something like a 60mm f/2. Now that would make a portrait dream machine. It would be more of a normal lens too. The 45mm is a slight wide and the 90mm is a slight tele on this sensor so I'm hoping they are going to fill the gap with something like that.

Back