New Hassleblad X1D System

My thoughts; 2 cents and grain of salt etc...

Looks like the Rollei PQ-S technology finally got used/updated (making the leaf shutter go to 1/2000) although the narrow throat makes for fast lens designs challenging or not possible.
THIS MAY BE A MISTAKE
Ok you can do your optical calculations all day long but premium market wants speed for that Bokeh and a normal 80-90mm lens that is 1 1/3 stops slower than what you can find on any medium format this just ain't going to cut it at least at launch. If it was a 90mm f/2.3 or 1.8 I know the response would have been less er, Sedated.

A 35mm equivalent fast lens like a 55/60 f/2.3-2.8 or faster would be a stupid natural for wedding photographers. Zeiss and Schneider both made 60mm f/3.5 that covers (the Sch is a newer design but the Zeiss is quite good apparently) and has built in shutters.

All of the Gallery photos are static!!!
Hey looks like a great camera when all you can think of for the ""fashion shoot"" is to put the model up against a background and say 'stand there'. I guess its important to showcase that Exciting Swedish camera. BORING

To be honest I find that thing awesome .. not that I could buy one. It looks a bit like a digital Mamiya 7.
My fear is battery burn by the lots of data that needs processing and the limited space for a big battery. Also focus speed - with that size of sensor you need to be more precise so I bet it's slower than I'd like it to be.

Hasselblad has the best AF in the market. Google Hasselblad True Focus.

Wow:

CljkUbTWYAAs4zE.jpg

This has me chuckling, look at it next to the "it's not massive honest" SL.

I don't mind the look at all, I'd much prefer it in black.

The lenses are pretty hefty (I am fully aware that that goes with the territory) which somewhat affects the "it's so small" factor.

I'm not about to be buying Digital MF any time soon, but as much as I like it, and am looking forward to seeing what comes from it, I'm not sure I could justify it over the Pentax

The lenses are pretty hefty (I am fully aware that that goes with the territory) which somewhat affects the "it's so small" factor.

I don't know about that, the 45 looked to be about the same size as a Nikon 85mm 1.8G which to me is small enough and balances really well. Besides, they may be fairly light since that was the goal of the system.

Looks like the Rollei PQ-S technology finally got used/updated (making the leaf shutter go to 1/2000) although the narrow throat makes for fast lens designs challenging or not possible.
THIS MAY BE A MISTAKE

Right....so how do you know there are not faster lenses with a slower shutter speed in the works like a 70mm 2.8 that tops at 1/1,000th?

Also, H lenses will work with it with an adapter, slower top shutter speed but faster aperture.

Hasselblad's philosophy seems to be to walk quietly and carry a big stick. I would like to know how long this gem has been in the wings because this would have taken quite some time to develop and all the horribly overpriced wooden gripped re-badged abominations they have offered lately can now be forgotten and forgiven.

I definitely like that they didn't go down the Fuji route with the months of tantalising teasers ... and wanky ads in the style of the dross that Nikon used for it's DF and I also really like that for anyone who has owned an old 500c or similar it is unmistakably a Hasselblad.

As for the camera itself ... a little like Volkswagon cramming the engine out of a Veyron into a Golf! :)

Fantastic looking camera, it will be my go to landscape one. Thoughts of getting Leica SL evaporated today. My Leica M 240 will be playing second fiddle.

I am amazed by Hasselblad's ability to consistently bring such ugly digital cameras to the market. They must be working with designers from hell.

Really?
I looked at the photos of New Hassie, on Ming Thein.It is incredibly nice looking in a true Swedish look.
Clean lines, compact, making Medium Format Digital at a reasonable price.
The camera that Leica with the SL (Sony Look-a-like) should have been.
I cannot afford this at $11,000 about, but for those who can, an amazing
new item. Lenses from many formats will probably be useable.
I am NOT a Hasselblad user, nor ever was, unless Agencies Made me use it!
I think a bold new move.

Really?
I looked at the photos of New Hassie, on Ming Thein.It is incredibly nice looking in a true Swedish look.

Why? Leica has the S system, which is a superb kit for those who need "medium format" (really: "larger than FF sensor") with 35mm-like handling. Yes, it's an SLR ... I suspect that will change one day.

Having had the Sony A7 and having the SL now, they are NOTHING like each other. The Sony is a klunky little piece of junk with a decent sensor and an okay viewfinder to which you can fit Sony lenses, or other lenses with lots of compromises. The Leica SL is a very well built camera with superb performance that replaces the R system bodies and gives access to Leica M, R, T, and S lenses as well as its own line of new lenses. Its styling cues are a cross between the Leicaflex SL and the R8, but it's trimmer than either and more functional.

None of which detracts from the new Hasselblad either. It's a more expensive body with a bigger sensor, more megapixels, and less lens versatility. The price is, understandably, higher: it's in the Leica S ballpark.

I would buy the Hasselblad with a 22mm lens of quality similar to the SWC's Zeiss Biogon 38mm. It will then be a digital replacement for my SWC. :)

G

50MP, smaller than a Nikon and half the price of a Leica S -- amazing!

I love the design, too, simple, elegant industrial design.

very interesting camera that will challenge the pricing models of small sensor "pro" cameras, also the expensive digibacks like phase one etc.

If I were shooting commercial work for editorial and billboards, I would have a hard time deciding between the Hassie and the Leica S.

FWIW, I think the X1D looks fantastic, a worthy successor to their classic film bodies and backs.

And just look at that glorious sensor in such a tidy package!

uuuuuuuh..... my new SL 601 will go back to the vendor.... A real Hasselblad made in Sweden after all these years.... Impressive package of technology and design! Kudos to the Hasselblad board for finding the way back to the legend. I hope they will be economically successful to go ahead with this strategy. I always felt like crying seeing that Hassy branded Sony with luxury wood. This time seems to be over now.

Really?
I cannot afford this at $11,000 about, but for those who can, an amazing
new item. Lenses from many formats will probably be useable.
I am NOT a Hasselblad user, nor ever was, unless Agencies Made me use it!
I think a bold new move.

agree with most of this, but how can 'lenses from many formats' be useable when the camera does not have a mechanical shutter? i think this is a pretty big strategic issue that has so far not been explored. i really want help to understand the benefits/detriments of this decision. since no other mirrorless camera system to date has made this choice, and since that choice effects useage, i hope it is thoroughly discussed so that people like me can fully understand the choice theyre making in committing to this system.

Back