Man oh Man, I tried out a Fuji X100V

Congratulations!

One thing I did to my X100V that made it perfect for me was to put a leather half-case on it. Now it really feels perfect in my hand.

Anyway, congrats again, it’s a great camera!

All the best,
Mike
What brand half case did you get?

The X100F is my companion much more than the Leica M240. It is smaller, lighter, more technically advanced and just more fun. I don't plan on upgrading because the F fits my needs just fine and have only had it a year. But the V does look cool.

Congratulations, Akiva. This camera is more affordable than a Leica M10. Maybe, I should get one too to supplement my M8 and M9?

What brand half case did you get?

I bought the Fujifilm leather case. It's a full case but I only use the bottom half. It's very well made and has a little trap-door for battery and card
access.

DSCF0416.JPG

All the best,
Mike

Many praise the Fuji X 100F as a good buy. It sells for around $800. Right?

Yes, and it is still pretty good. However, knowing your other cameras, I'm not sure if it'll be your thing. Have you ever held one in your hand? It doesn't have the heft of a Leica. I love them, but I just want to be transparent.

Yes, and it is still pretty good. However, knowing your other cameras, I'm not sure if it'll be your thing. Have you ever held one in your hand? It doesn't have the heft of a Leica. I love them, but I just want to be transparent.

Thanks for the caution! No, I have never held such a lens in my hand.

I bought the Fujifilm leather case. It's a full case but I only use the bottom half. It's very well made and has a little trap-door for battery and card
access.

DSCF0416.JPG

All the best,
Mike

I've been tempted by that JJC rectangular hood but was worried it would intrude into the OVF by a large amount?

Also, anyone tried the generic pu 'leather' cases? I'm vegan so the official leather one is not for me.

Also, anyone tried the generic pu 'leather' cases? I'm vegan so the official leather one is not for me.

Yes, I've had one for about eight years. It cost about £12, IIRC.

It just does the job. It's had a lot of use, yet it still looks very 'presentable'. :)

Many praise the Fuji X 100F as a good buy. It sells for around $800. Right?

The X-100F is a great option. The X-100F's X-Trans III sensor uses Aptina's dual-gain sensor technology.

To make a long story short – above ISO 640 the sensor photo-diodes' response is optimized for sensitivity. Below ISO 640 photo-diodes' response is optimized for analog dynamic range. The trade-off between conversion gain (sensitivity) and full-well capacity (dynamic range) is minimized compared to conventional (single conversion gain) designs.

The disadvantage of all X-100 cameras is the size of the camera buttons and controls. They are small and close together. If one needs constantly change operational modes and options, this can be an issue.

A disadvantage of all FUJIFILM X-series cameras is there is a learning curve to address in order to set the camera up for optimum focusing performance.

Rangefinder photographers may enjoy the OVF which simulates using a mechanical RF finder. Switching to EVF mode for precise framing only requires the flick of a finger tip.

Yes I was surprised at how small it was. Maybe a grip or a half case, maybe.

The X-100F is a great option. The X-100F's X-Trans III sensor uses Aptina's dual-gain sensor technology.

To make a long story short – above ISO 640 the sensor photo-diodes' response is optimized for sensitivity. Below ISO 640 photo-diodes' response is optimized for analog dynamic range. The trade-off between conversion gain (sensitivity) and full-well capacity (dynamic range) is minimized compared to conventional (single conversion gain) designs.

The disadvantage of all X-100 cameras is the size of the camera buttons and controls. They are small and close together. If one needs constantly change operational modes and options, this can be an issue.

A disadvantage of all FUJIFILM X-series cameras is there is a learning curve to address in order to set the camera up for optimum focusing performance.

Rangefinder photographers may enjoy the OVF which simulates using a mechanical RF finder. Switching to EVF mode for precise framing only requires the flick of a finger tip.

I must say, learning to use some the controls is proving to be a bit daunting for me. I looked on the web to see if someone has an article on X100v recommended settings just to get me started. I found none. The manual is probably very comprehensive, but it is small print and over 300 pages. A foreboding sign: Taking the Nikon F out for spin today. :bang:

Joe D’Agostino on YT - his short video on setting up the X100V is a fine place to start, imho

Reggie Ballasteros is good, too, more comprehensive.

Back