Man oh Man, I tried out a Fuji X100V

I must say, learning to use some the controls is proving to be a bit daunting for me. I looked on the web to see if someone has an article on X100v recommended settings just to get me started. I found none. The manual is probably very comprehensive, but it is small print and over 300 pages. A foreboding sign: Taking the Nikon F out for spin today. :bang:

Hang in there! I was where you are now; it'll get easier!

This Kevin Mullins youtube vid on setting up the X100F was a big help to me on setting up my X100V. When it comes to the menus they’re similar enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXh6WgoukeY&t=27s

Also, if you download the X100V operators manual in PDF format from the Fujifilm site you can make the font bigger and it’s easier to read and search.

If you watch Mullins’ youtube first it will give you great food for thought on what to look for in the PDF version of the manual.

There is also an online help guide but I didn’t find it nearly as helpful as the PDF version.
http://fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/x100v/#

All the best,
Mike

Hang in there! I was where you are now; it'll get easier!

This Kevin Mullins youtube vid on setting up the X100F was a big help to me on setting up my X100V. When it comes to the menus they’re similar enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXh6WgoukeY&t=27s

Also, if you download the X100V operators manual in PDF format from the Fujifilm site you can make the font bigger and it’s easier to read and search.

If you watch Mullins’ youtube first it will give you great food for thought on what to look for in the PDF version of the manual.

There is also an online help guide but I didn’t find it nearly as helpful as the PDF version.
http://fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/x100v/#

All the best,
Mike
Great tips. Much appreciated. I'll get there.

Wouldn't it be great if you could create a single, smaller, personalized User Menu out of existing menus? The User Menu would be what you see and use 95% of the time, but there is always the option to go into the other menus which are tucked away so as to be unobtrusive.

After roughly 20 years of digital photography, it seems no one offers that.

Unless I'm mistaken, selections such as U1, U2, etc. (Canon?), are custom user settings, not custom menus.

It would also be nice to have a quick way of seeing or finding all the settings you've changed from their default values.

Wouldn't it be great if you could create a single, smaller, personalized User Menu out of existing menus? The User Menu would be what you see and use 95% of the time, but there is always the option to go into the other menus which are tucked away so as to be unobtrusive.

After roughly 20 years of digital photography, it seems no one offers that.

Unless I'm mistaken, selections such as U1, U2, etc. (Canon?), are custom user settings, not custom menus.

It would also be nice to have a quick way of seeing or finding all the settings you've changed from their default values.

Yes, I agree. It must be said that Fuji probably come the closest to your wishes, with their 'Q-menu'. However, it's not customisable to select one's own preferred menu items - it's simply Fuji's idea of which menu items the Quick menu system should contain. However, I must admit that I don't know whether post-2015 models are customisable in this regard.

Yes, I agree. It must be said that Fuji probably come the closest to your wishes, with their 'Q-menu'. However, it's not customisable to select one's own preferred menu items - it's simply Fuji's idea of which menu items the Quick menu system should contain. However, I must admit that I don't know whether post-2015 models are customisable in this regard.

At least for the X100V, the Q menu has out-of-box defaults but can be completely re-specified by the user.

For what it's worth, I find Fuji's quite easy to setup for my tastes. RAW, single af point, auto iso... and that's it. Only time I need to go into the menus after is to format the card or change the minimum shutter speed on auto iso.

Sometimes there are unintended consequences when messing around with menus without first doing a little homework.

When I first got my X100F or maybe it was the X-Pro2, it doesn't matter, the menus are mostly the same. Anyway, I started messing around with the menu choices and then suddenly some stuff started to not work. The more I messed around the more I had no idea what was causing problems. I google the problems (that’s what the uneducated do) and it only added to the confusion. Finally I did a system reset to get back to the default settings - and then I got serious about actually learning (by the manual) what did what and why.

I previously said that I didn’t like a camera with a mind of its own. I was frustrated when the shutter didn’t release when I wanted it to. I’d press the shutter button and no release… argh! Then, by reading the manual I found that there were selections for when a shutter would release in both single (S) and continuous (C) modes.

Anyway, once I realized that I needed to master the camera and I was no longer going to accept what the camera wanted to do versus what I wanted it to do it all fell into place.

Now my Fujifilm cameras behave like good little aperture priority single point auto-focus or manual focus cameras that are pleased to do as I say.

And they all lived happily ever after.

All the best,
Mike

Sometimes there are unintended consequences when messing around with menus without first doing a little homework.

When I first got my X100F or maybe it was the X-Pro2, it doesn't matter, the menus are mostly the same. Anyway, I started messing around with the menu choices and then suddenly some stuff started to not work. The more I messed around the more I had no idea what was causing problems. I google the problems (that’s what the uneducated do) and it only added to the confusion. Finally I did a system reset to get back to the default settings - and then I got serious about actually learning (by the manual) what did what and why.

I previously said that I didn’t like a camera with a mind of its own. I was frustrated when the shutter didn’t release when I wanted it to. I’d press the shutter button and no release… argh! Then, by reading the manual I found that there were selections for when a shutter would release in both single (S) and continuous (C) modes.

Anyway, once I realized that I needed to master the camera and I was no longer going to accept what the camera wanted to do versus what I wanted it to do it all fell into place.

Now my Fujifilm cameras behave like good little aperture priority single point auto-focus or manual focus cameras that are pleased to do as I say.

And they all lived happily ever after.

All the best,
Mike

Pretty much my experience, Mike!

Out and about I’d put the X-Pro2 to my eye and find my grid lines had disappeared or it was rear screen only or my settings had gone or some other weird stuff showing that I didn’t want. One time I couldn’t get rid of the colour bias grid setting that had shifted to the red spectrum.

I figured then that I really had to go through the manual and understand this photo computer that had a mind of its own. My biggest victory (and delight) was when I found out online that one could lock all of the rear buttons, with a confirmatory icon showing in the viewfinder. Bliss!

I owned the original X100 (perhaps first digital as I cannot remember) but thought of it as a fancy M2. I purchased the X100F as a backup for my MP240 but ended up leaving the Leica at home. I never gave much thought about setting up the camera as it pretty much did what I wanted using the manual controls.

I am getting ready to travel via motorcycle through the Dakotas and Montana. I am thinking X100F with aux lens for a 28 FOV and my MP240 with 50 and 135. I plan on leaving the 35 and 90 at home. I want the 135 for buffalo in the Dakotas and Yellowstone.

Am really tempted by the V but for now I will be sticking with the F.

I figured then that I really had to go through the manual and understand this photo computer that had a mind of its own. My biggest victory (and delight) was when I found out online that one could lock all of the rear buttons, with a confirmatory icon showing in the viewfinder. Bliss!

When I first got my new X-Pro1, I went through the manual, camera in hand, noting all the features and what to modify. My manual is filled with little yellow sticky notes.

As firmware upgrades were released, I printed the notes and kept them with the manual.

Alas, I can't lock all the rear buttons such as on the newer models. Apparently Fuji added the feature because many others like myself found it to be all too easy to press buttons inadvertently.

Back