Which digital camera with 28mm

Fujiiflm X70 or XF10.

The former is 8 years old and sells for more than it did when new...

The latter is 5 1/2 years old and also sells for more than it did when new...

Lots of good options in this thread. I'd also add the LX100 in. Set it to auto resume your last zoom and it will turn on with a FOV of a 28mm and then also happen to be able to go wider (24mm FOV) and zoom in to a 70mm. Small size, has a viewfinder.

Lots of good options in this thread. I'd also add the LX100 in. Set it to auto resume your last zoom and it will turn on with a FOV of a 28mm and then also happen to be able to go wider (24mm FOV) and zoom in to a 70mm. Small size, has a viewfinder.
I thought of the LX100II in this conversation as well. I had one briefly but didn't end up purchasing it, but I really liked it. One of the features I liked the most was the step zoom, where you can set the electronic zoom lever to toggle between common prime focal lengths: 24, 28, 35, 50, 75. I liked that a lot more than holding down the lever to zoom, which felt like using some cheapo old-time compact zoom.

I thought of the LX100II in this conversation as well. I had one briefly but didn't end up purchasing it, but I really liked it. One of the features I liked the most was the step zoom, where you can set the electronic zoom lever to toggle between common prime focal lengths: 24, 28, 35, 50, 75. I liked that a lot more than holding down the lever to zoom, which felt like using some cheapo old-time compact zoom.
Yes, I have mine set for step zoom too. You can set that to the lens ring as well but that was too sensitive ime. Every once in awhile you can find an original lx100 for under $300. It is a lot of camera at that price.

Yes, I have mine set for step zoom too. You can set that to the lens ring as well but that was too sensitive ime. Every once in awhile you can find an original lx100 for under $300. It is a lot of camera at that price.
Only thing to keep an eye out for is sensor dust, it is possible with these fixed lens cameras.

The X-Pro2 with Fuji 18/2 is a very good combination. It's small but not too small, it's quiet or completely silent as you choose, it's reliable and has excellent quality. Some disparage the old 18mm but I came to love it despite not being a fan of the 28mm focal length. AF is good but not lightning fast like newer lenses. On the XP2 speed is much improved over the XP1. The 18/2 has a bit of "old school" look to it, not as sharp around the edges but excellent in the center--I like that look a lot. I've often used the XP2/18 combination to wander around and see what comes along and it has almost made me a 28mm fan. I've never used the other choices mentioned so I'm no help there. One of the best things about the XP2/18 is that it gets you into the Fuji Universe. They were one of the first companies to really take the APS-C format seriously and produce a great range of lenses for their cameras. And they have the hybrid viewfinder so old guys like me can use framelines in an OVF.

Yes, yes. I've lusted after one of these for the past four years. In that time exactly THREE have come available in the two reputable camera shops I still patronize. One lasted two days and sold for AUD $1250. Another hung around for about two weeks and finally went for AUD $100 more. The third was sold to the shop in the morning and grabbed by a customer that afternoon, for AUD $1400. Hen's teeth...

So badly did I want one of these, I even checked the not so reputable quick-buck dealers looking for one. Alas, none turned up. Owners are too darn clever to dispose of them.

So for now I make do with my XE2. Odd that I like this camera so much, after buying and using and disposing of no less than two XT1 (maybe I wanted to breed them, ha) and one XE2 which somehow didn't give me quite the image quality I want. Their new owners like them a lot, so it's very much a personal thing.

As I've written before (and this thought is shared with a few other Fujifanatics I know), Fuji make superbly good lenses in their Fujinons but the cameras, well, they do leave a bit to be desired.

As for lenses, the Fujinon 18/2.0 is my favorite lens. It's an early version and an old design and not as tack-sharp as the 18-55 set on wide angle, and it tends to bend the verticals a little if I go too close to my subjects with it, but it has a sort of 'character' I like, it's light and easy to use and best yet I can set the f/stop by hand, which means a lot to an old geezer.

I doubt the Fujis will ever replace my Nikon digitals and I still believe the Z5 and a 28/2.8Z is the best ever Nikon combo - Ken Rockwell agrees with me on this, BTW so I feel doubly vindicated in posting it yet again - but if a good Xpro2 turns up in a shop when I'm there, well, I may succumb to a sudden fit of retail temporary insanity and clean out my bank account. With photo gear, odder and stranger things have happened to me in my long life.

Thing is, I looked at NikonUSA earlier tonight and a Z5, the 28/2.8, 50/1.8 & 85/1.8 would be ~$2500 USD. Less than what my used Leica M 240 body set me back.

Just the Z5 & the 28/2.8 is ~ $1200. That's a hella lot of bang for the buck for all new gear.

I lean towards gx85 with 14mm or xpro2 with 18mm. I like the fuji look more but could anyone compare them ? Which one has better optics ? Which one focused quicker ? Sensor size doesnt matter to me

I will surmise that the Panasonic will focus faster in most cases. Panasonic has their AF processing dialed in for speed and accuracy. It's not phase detect, but it is darn fast.

I have been traveling with a GR3 since late October and it is great. I am enjoying the 28 equivalent FOV which is surprising as I don't own a 28 lens for my other camera systems. I thought I needed a viewfinder as well so I purchased the Ricoh optical finder but am finding I don't use it very much. In fact, the finder will probably be added to my Leica as I just purchased a 21 Biogon and the Ricoh finder has frame lines for 21 and 28.

Don't think you would go wrong with the GR3.

I lean towards gx85 with 14mm or xpro2 with 18mm. I like the fuji look more but could anyone compare them ? Which one has better optics ? Which one focused quicker ? Sensor size doesnt matter to me
The GX85 with 14/2.5 focuses quickly and accurately in most lighting situations. I have no experience with the X-Pro 2, unfortunately. I suspect the X-Pro 2 may have better dynamic range, but you also have to deal with Fuji colours and the behaviour of raw files. Many love Fuji colours and only use jpegs, but I am not a fan of jpegs nor the way that Fuji raws behave in Lightroom.

As mentioned in a previous post, the 14/2.5 is an optically excellent lens as long as you get a later copy, version II. Mine is version one, and while it does the job, it isn't as sharp as my Panasonic 12-35.

If you get a GX85, also get the JJC grip for GX9, it fits perfectly on the GX85 and makes the camera handle much better. The battery door and card slot are accessible through the bottom of the grip, so it never has to come off unless you want it to. My GX85 is on the desk in front of me right now, waiting to go out again.

Last edited:
Can't speed to the G85 but the XPro2 has fast AF. As a test, I used it with the 55-200 and it would shoot a sequence with my dog running, flat out, at me with no problems at all.

24934285473_98ac88b7b7_b.jpg

The 100-400 was even faster to focus. I don't think the 18mm was as fast but I never recall it being an issue. Great lens.

Long ago I had the Panny 14mm on a GF1. That was a great combo and it is good lens too.

One other thing to consider between the GX85 with the 14mm and the Fuji with the 18mm is that they aren't the same aspect ratio. The GX85 is 4:3 while the Fuji is 3:2.

I've not seen it mentioned, the Sony A7Cr is a monster with the 60mp full frame sensor, Sony sensors seem to love M mount lenses too. Lots and lots of dollars though.

I said monster but that only refers to the sensor, it's about the size of an M5 I think or maybe smaller.

Just the Z5 & the 28/2.8 is ~ $1200. That's a hella lot of bang for the buck for all new gear.

Last fall I was looking at Z5 and Z6, ultimately went with a used Z6 from keh. $800.

The current deal on the Z5 at $1k is fantastic (ends March 3.)

I don't have any Z lenses, just use an adapter and my existing array of manual focus Contax lenses, one of which is a 28/2.8 Distagon.

IMHO, the Z5 or Z6 (they are nearly identical) are fantastic cameras, great sensor, the shutter sound is exquisite, IBIS, great EVF, easy to focus.

After much thought but also photographing with my mx the last days i tried most of the mentionen cameras out and i must say i exluded some i dint like as i thought.
The ones that fit my hands most are:
Ricoh gr1 iiii
Fuji xe3(if xe4 has same size then that too) with 18mm f2
Panasonic gx85 with 14mm 2.5
All of them make great photos and feel nice to the hand. I found the focus speed on the panasonic the best and i liked the colors of fuji and ricoh most. I think all 3 are great cameras that can make wonderful photos till they die. Something strange is that the 14mm on the panasonic didnt look like the classic 28mm im used to but more like 35mm but i cant explain why. I mostly used the screen on all three cameras and thankfuly my 2 friends that lended me them were nice enough to let them sleep one night with me so i could try them out. I trully dont find any better than the other and i can see me using a lot all of them so i started looking the used prices and if something good comes to the road ill get it without much more thoughts. Of course if i get one of the interchaneable lenses camera i want to buy the whole packet at once to save some money.

I’ve used the LUMIX 14/2.5 for years and it’s a good lens. Recently I got the DG Summilux 15/1.7 and, though larger than the 14, is really great, as it should be because it’s pricier.

BTW, you can set you GX 85 to 3:2 aspect ratio if you prefer.

@gzisis69 I always set my m43 camera files to 3:2 aspect ratio, it puts them in line with my other cameras, and gives some leeway for cropping a composition from its original intended form.

I have the GX85 and original Ricoh GR, and while the GR is much smaller, lighter and has better quality files, the shutter/lens barrel unit is prone to malfunction after an unreasonably small number of images, around 30k to 40k. While this might seem like a lot, I reached this number in only a few years of using the GR as my everyday camera. The GX85, which does not have a motorized lens barrel, doesn't have this issue. I don't know the duty life of the GX85 shutter, but I imagine it is more than 40k. The G9 is rated for 200,000 shutter actuations. While I haven't seen many reports of shutter issues with the GR III, I have stayed away from Ricoh cameras since my GRD III, GR, and GXR all developed similar malfunctions.

If you plan to use Lightroom, the GX85 raw files are pretty malleable and can be given a very wide range of colours, so you can adjust them to your heart's content.

I’ve just got a GR iii and it seems the logical camera given the OPs initial post. I hope that it has reasonably good life expectancy despite the motorised barrel and leaf shutter. It’s too expensive and the body too well built to have fall apart mechanics.

Like others, I expected to miss the OVF and sometimes add an accessory finder, but I’ve actually used it a bit differently to my other cameras and it does just work. It was helpful when I found that you can brighten the screen if you’re outside!

I had already used snap focus on an old gr model, so knew that was helpful. Mine has full press snap focus enabled at 2.5m and usually at f5.6 with auto ISO and aperture priority. It a snapshot camera from my perspective.

Back