Which digital camera with 28mm

gzisis69

Established
Local time
11:08 AM
Hello to the forum, i have a digital question that im thinking of the last month. I need a digital camera for the days i am not in the mood to take film photos. I love 28mm and am not really interested for much more lenses, except maybe a 50mm but not in the beginning. Im thinking of the following combos:
1. fuji xpro 2 18mm
2. nikon z5 28mm 2.8
3. canon r8 28mm 2.8
4. sony a3 28mm 2

To me size is important cause if the camera weights a lot i wont take it with me since my film one is a pentax mx with 28mm 3.5( i had a 2.8 and am trying the 3.5 the last weeks). I like good autofocus that doesnt hunt all the time since i mostly shoot street but if i can easily zone focus should not be a big problem. The way the camera feels is also very important since i am a hobbyist. Which one would you suggest ?

28mm, size is important and shooting mostly street? The Ricoh GR meets these criteria and is also designed to use with zone focus. Of course it is fixed lens and fairly expensive.

I depends on what is your shooting style , I would pick nikon Z5 because it is full frame , big high res viewfinder, best overal value for money and good manual lenses adaptability also 28 lens they make for it seems to have good reputation.

I like the ricoh but i mostly prefer a viewfinder framing. But i havent used it for long time to maybe get used to it. The nikon z5 is the only one of the above cameras that i havent tried live and the sony is the one that i liked least during playing with it.

I’m waiting to see if the Fujifilm X-Pro4 will have 18mm framelines and regular tilting screen, because the Voigtländer 18mm f/2.8 has a focusing tab.

For me, the answer is simple: the Nikon Z5 is far better than the other three cameras on your list and the NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 is a lovely little autofocus lens for it.

There are a number of lovely 50s to select from for it later when you're ready to add one.

Or, if you have any investment in vintage glass, the Z is incredibly flexible in its adapters.

For example, when I eventually get a Nikon Z5 body I will get adapters for
Nikon S to Z
Nikon F/AI to Z
Leica M to Z
M42 to Z
Canon FD to Z

Good luck!

Have you considered the Leica Q, Q2 or Q3? Increasing price in that order, the Q and Q2 available used, sometimes in the RFF classifieds. Fixed 28/1.7 summilux lens thought to be a bit wider. Smallish size, modest weight for all. Best AF in the Q3, but on back order now.

Have you considered the Fuji X-100? Get the two adapters and you have a 28, 35, and 50 all in your pocket. The newest iteration is now a 40 mp sensor all in the same frame as the original, they don't come much smaller than that!

Thank you for the many different opinions, obviously there is no right answer for this dilemma. I can say i dont want x100 since its 35mm primarily and ill have to wear an adaptor all the time. I like the leica q models a lot but maybe too much money. The main reasons to pick the fuji would be the small size and the ovf. The sony i am thinking is not for me since it remembers me of my tv in a bad electronics way. Nikon feels good to the hand but is s bit heavier as id like more. Decisions..

Would you be okay with 24mm? There are a number of tiny Sony RX100 variants with a viewfinder and a 24mm equivalent lens.

I agree with @wlewisiii in that the Nikon Z5 with a 28mm f2.8 is a good option. A lot of people swear by Sony, but I'm not a fan of the way Sony A7 bodies feel. YMMV.

I've been using my Panasonic GX85 with 17mm f1.8 a lot, and am considering getting the Panasonic 15mm f1.7 because I'd like something closer to 28mm. Even with a metal aftermarket grip, the GX85 is very compact, even smaller than your Pentax MX but still feels like a real camera.

Im not so fun of 24mm as primary lens, too much distortion. The 15mm for panasonic is really small, is it any good ? Is it made from leica ? Interesting.. but 30mm, i havent used 30mm is it almost the same as 28 i quess

There’s a Panasonic 14/2.5 lens that’s very small and good quality optics. There’s also the DG Summilux Leica 15/1.7 that I also have and it’s great but pricier.

As for micro-4/3 bodies get a used LUMIX G5-G7 for cheap, the lower the model number the smaller the body. I think the G5 is only slightly bigger than the Ricoh GRiii minus the lens. Olympus make or made good M4/3 cameras, find a used Pen.

What lens do you have for shooting film? Nikon, for instance, made several really good 28mm AI/AIS lenses in F2.0 or 2.8, which of course can be adapted to any body practically. It seems only right to put it on a Z5, maybe.

If you're not looking for more lenses, and you have a good 28mm film lens already, why not just use it on a digital body? For practical purposes (i.e., not masturbatory pixel-peeping), a good 28mm made for film will work quite well on digital.

I use a pentax 28mm 3.5 m smc lens

I've never used that one, but a quick glance at the reviews seems to show that those who do really like that lens. Obviously, it's a bit slower than a 2.8--but if you're shooting daylight, and given the high-ISO capabilities of current cameras, that shouldn't be much of a problem at all; and focus peaking and viewfinder auto brightness would help you in low light even though the lens isn't as bright for focusing as a faster lens would be.

Pentax adapters should be available for probably any modern mirrorless body you want to use. I'd probably just go ahead and choose a body and get the appropriate adapter, and see if your current lens gives you what you want on digital as it seems to do on film. Then you can decide if you want to stick with it for both, or if you really *need* something more modern.

Saves money, keeps your old lens in use, allows you to use a better-built and probably more compact lens than an all-electronic (and mostly plastic) modern lens, gives you a bit of old-school "character", and allows you time to decide which way you want to go ultimately.

The nice thing is, if that lens satisfies you on mirrorless, too, you could in a small bag carry both your film camera and a digital body, and just throw the lens on the front of whichever one you want to shoot at that moment.

Everyone I talk who has one absolutely loves their Leica Q/Q2/Q3.
I'm tempted by a Q2M myself, although why I might need it is very hard to say.

G

Im not so fun of 24mm as primary lens, too much distortion. The 15mm for panasonic is really small, is it any good ? Is it made from leica ? Interesting.. but 30mm, i havent used 30mm is it almost the same as 28 i quess
The 15mm is a Leica branded Panasonic design - from what I understand, Leica approves the Leica name being attached to the lens if it meets their standards. There are a number of Leica branded Panasonic lenses, some of which were designed by Sigma! Sigma also designed some of the Olympus Pro line lenses.

The 15mm is an excellent lens, from what I've seen in reports and user samples. Still waiting to pull the trigger on one, myself.

Back