W/NW : Motorcycles

attachment.php

A friend of mine ... the owner of the Ducatis in fact ... thinks this is not a Vespa but some German scooter possibly. Do you know any more about it ... he's curious? He has several oldish Vespas also! :p

Possibly a Heinkel Tourist ?

hmm, I walked up to it and i thought i saw a piaggio badge but maybe not, could it be a body mod? I mean considering they were owned by young laotian and vietnamese college students.

I rented a minsk for a few days, lot's of fun, it's only got a 125cc single cylinder 2 stroke, 4 speeds. Very temperamental. I accidentally dropped it after stalling the engine and gasoline leaked out from the cylinder and I lost the spark plug. Read somewhere that cylinder has no seals and you're supposed to carry 3 or 4 spare spark plugs tapped to the top of the gas tank and an old spoon to unscrew it with. I love em and would like to purchase one for the states but I don't think 2 strokes are allowed anymore.

The only bikes I have left from my youth are a couple of non std YDS 7 Yamaha's, a lo mileage T150V, 1980 1000EN Suzuki and of course my old '57 featherbed framed Triton (unridden since the mid '60's) :confused:

Here's an old Ariel photographed in the early '80 - not mine.

78eee1d6.jpg

An unridden Triton - that could quite possibly be a crime , you could ease your conscience by donating the Triton to someone who will ride it at every opportunity, someone such as my good self for instance.........:D

Here's a nice Triumph I spotted in Harajuku in Tokyo:

Attachments

• triumph.jpg
    triumph.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 0
Here's a nice Triumph I spotted in Harajuku in Tokyo:

Nice looking machine, maybe a 64/65 'bathtub' T110.

Here's an earlier 55/56 T100 photographed at Tan Hill in 1982, the pub is reputed to be the highest in England and a big plus - they sell Old Peculier - very nice indeedy :D

old-peculier-clip.gif

c8bfb1fe.jpg

Chuts pic looks like a 350 Triumph "21" or "3TA" - the small rims are the clue.

I use a Triumph tank badge of that era for a belt buckle :)

taken with rd1 and 35/2 asph cron

taken with rd1 and 35/2 asph cron

in-camera b&w mode.

Attachments

• EPSN5190.JPG
    EPSN5190.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 0
"The classiest tank badge ever"

Yes I wouldn't disagree with that - I remember seeing the badge for the first time in a transport cafe car park on the north circular London in July 1957 - the badge was on the tank of a new (couple of days old) dark red Speed Twin, it looked quite impressive.

Chuts pic looks like a 350 Triumph "21" or "3TA" - the small rims are the clue.

Sorry Peter but I beg to differ, when Triumph Motorcycles lost their way in the early sixties I'm sure they reduced the size of the rims on the T110 and T100 from the customary 18/19" ones.

When I look a Chuts pic I'm fairly sure I can see an iron barrel and alloy head which I would interpretate as T110.

Here's a poor photo of my 1980 1000en Suzuki taken with a Retina 11c - well it's from a small part of the neg.This another one that is still in the garage and unridden since '83 :confused:

88334b18.jpg

The Duck in the sun ... (ST3) and the duck chaperoning the wife's hawk -- neither was taken with a RF though. ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_0344_filtered_sm_sm.jpg
    IMG_0344_filtered_sm_sm.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0293_sm_sm.jpg
    IMG_0293_sm_sm.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 0
Just up from Kates Cottage (the white building - middle right in gdi's photo) I spent a happy hour laid on the stonewall watching the '63 TT races, sitting on or near this wall would now be strictly forbidden and if just one stone had loosened I could have been responsible for a number of deaths but heck I was a teenager (no excuse).

Believe it or not the bikes were passing me at about THREE feet away and changing from up from third to fourth gear at about 110 to 115 mph, after maybe 20 mins acclimatization I could actually see the riders eyes and in particular Mike Duff who was wearing a very unusual yankee type helmet.

The faster competitors and machines of that day were John Hartle (Gilera 4), Mike Hailwood (MV Agusta 4), Phil Read (Gilera 4) and of course M.A.Duff on his long range Tom Arter G50 Matchless - tanked up for a non stop 226 mile ride.

Just up from Kates Cottage (the white building - middle right in gdi's photo) I spent a happy hour laid on the stonewall watching the '63 TT races, sitting on or near this wall would now be strictly forbidden and if just one stone had loosened I could have been responsible for a number of deaths but heck I was a teenager (no excuse).

Believe it or not the bikes were passing me at about THREE feet away and changing from up from third to fourth gear at about 110 to 115 mph, after maybe 20 mins acclimatization I could actually see the riders eyes and in particular Mike Duff who was wearing a very unusual yankee type helmet.

The faster competitors and machines of that day were John Hartle (Gilera 4), Mike Hailwood (MV Agusta 4), Phil Read (Gilera 4) and of course M.A.Duff on his long range Tom Arter G50 Matchless - tanked up for a non stop 226 mile ride.

Whoa - some historic names Wahoo! I would love to make the trip again - it was a spectacular time. The names I can recall were the likes of Steve Hislop and Joey and Robert Dunlap (Robert crashed and was injured when his wheel disintegrated at Ballaugh bridge).

I remember watching the sidecars pass me a few feet away as we stood by the track - I have shots I'll have to dig up. I also remember being "adopted" by the locals in a nice pub in Peel - they kept the bar open (with the doors barred, for legal reasons, I assume :)) very late and we all had to try to be quiet when the constables banged on the door to get in! Fabulous folks !

Last edited:
My Norton 99 frame and motor (in bits) July 1963 - this machine later transpired into a Triton (Triumph T110 engine in 1964.

Last edited:
Back