Rollei 35's

For those of you suffering from insomnia, here is a link to an in depth article on the mercury battery options and solutions -- it's probably more than anyone wants to know about replacements for mercury cells and is sure to induce some serious head-nodding. Of interest, however, is the detailing of some of the shortcomings of other adapters currently on the market, the MR9 being among them.

I purchased two adapters from Frans de Gruijter for roughly the price of one MR9 unit. I've used these adapters in various cameras, including my Rollei 35S, without any problems. For the do-it-yourself types, you can purchase a kit for even less money.

Happy reading!

http://www.stutterheim.nl/rollei/download/batt-adapt-US.pdf

Just received my 35S last night!!! The light-meter doesn't work. To my shock and horror I found a battery in the compartment. Did the vinegar thing but it didn't help. I think I'll send it out.

Mine uses a 625 battery though. Is there another model that uses mercury batteries?

shutterfiend said:
Just received my 35S last night!!!
Cool!

shutterfiend said:
The light-meter doesn't work. To my shock and horror I found a battery in the compartment. Did the vinegar thing but it didn't help. I think I'll send it out.
Why do you need a battery? Does the shutter work? Aperture setting? Do you have another meter? If so, I'd suggest you venture forth with it and shoot a test roll, i.e., run through all the shutter speeds, check focus accuracy, etc.

If it works otherwise, you can decide if you want to have it fixed or use a hand meter. If it doesn't, it saves second trip to the repair shop.

Remind me, did it come with any kind of guarantee/warranty?

shutterfiend said:
Mine uses a 625 battery though. Is there another model that uses mercury batteries?
35, 35T, 35S, 35 Classic. May be others; someone?

Keep us in the loop and have fun!/ScottGee1

The models with the meter needle on the top deck use mercury PX625 1.3v batteries, the later SE and TE models with meter led's in the viewfinder use a larger 5.6v mercury battery.

It is very common for cameras that used mercury batteries for the wire from the battery chamber to be corroded off. If you are handy, you may be able to fix this yourself.

Sounds good Scottgee1! I'll shoot a couple of test rolls. I do have a drem instoscope!!! I'm getting better with it all the time.
FrankS, I don't think I'm up to opening it up by myself... yet. I didn't waste any time with the $20 Ricoh 35. But this one is over 6 times that much. I think I'll run a few rolls through it first. So it doesn't feel like a total waste when I mess it up.

I've bought a Rollei 35, Tessar 3.5 a few month ago. It cost only 54 Euros on Ebay. OK, the battery contact was quite badly corroded but could be cleaned. It is my main camera now and I've used only Kodak BW400CN so far.

Although I normally live in Vienna, I am in Japan right now. My little Rollei did turn some heads around here!

Here is a portrait of my grand parents. I like the fact that grandpa is in focus but grandma not!

time 1/30, f 3.5, BW400CN, scanned from negative.

Best, Arthur

Attachments

• ompop.jpg
    ompop.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 0
rogue_designer said:
This from somebody with three exclamation points in their sig? :D

Isn't this that "rule of thirds" thing? ;)

great battery link thanks!

My 35SE came from a trade here - very happy with the little cam -oozes quality and style. It has mysterious wear on the advance lever....but the rest is A+ condition.

I bought a 35 T a few weeks ago, Excelent condition. got three filters and a soft case with it. Ebay price in Uk is normally about £100, I paid £40 to a private seller
I am very pleased with it.

I had one, a 35S like yours. Mine was Singapore (were all the S's Singapore-made?)

I paid too much for it. Mine had a dent on one upper corner and some idiot had painted over where the paint had been worn through.

Anyhow, I sold it in a moment of insanity. I think this time, I'll go for a 3.5 model of some sort.

One problem I had with them is that I'm not that great at guessing distances, so I missed any kind of action with it.

Also, I probably don't have to tell you this, but if you take flash pictures with it, turn it upside down, lest you get nasty shadows.

My grandpa had a German B35, with the Zeiss Triotar; he said it made the most contrasty images of any of his cameras of the day. He traded it in on an EOS 850 outfit in the late 80s, the bugger. It had a chip in the lens that didn't seem to effect images.

Well, thanks a lot fellas. I just bought one. It's ebay Item 7609051310.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7609051310

Seems to be in good shape, aside from some "slightly more than light wear" on the bottom. I asked, and he says the shutter speeds, film counter, and light meter all work. I hope it's OK as a user!

The only thing is that my wife is going to kill me, hehehe. I just bought a nice DSLR with three lenses a couple weeks ago...

Jeremy Z said:
SNIP!

The only thing is that my wife is going to kill me, hehehe. I just bought a nice DSLR with three lenses a couple weeks ago...

Yeah, that might be a problem. :eek:

Do you have a will?

I can email my personal info to your lawyer.

:D

ScottGee1

Hi All,

Here is an excellent Rollei 35 page, with lots of good history and information:

http://johnlind.tripod.com/rollei/rolleitext.html

Here is an interesting tidbit from that page:

Comparatively, the 35 T had slightly greater contrast with its Tessar and the 35 S's Sonnar has slightly higher resolution. The results with either are stunning and never cease to accrue remarks about resolution and contrast. It is proof that world-class glass on even a sub-compact manual predecessor to the current P&S's does make a difference in the technical quality of the photography. Obviously the artistic qualities are still the exclusive domain of the photographer.

This is because each time light passes through a surface, contrast is lost. Since the Tessar is a 4 element lens and the Sonnar a 5, the Tessar produces more contrast. This backs up my grandpa's claims that his B35 with the Triotar is very contrasty.

Lesson? Leave your yellow filters at home and get a B35. I think a second-hand B35 costs about the same as a B+W yellow filter anyhow, right? ;)

Thanks Jeremy, yes interesting. The author is less than thrilled with the Rollei pictured, but then, it is the economy 35B version.

I got my singapore Rollei 3.5 in Germany! Cost a bomb but it is in superb condition.
Always attracts attention when you pull out that lens.
I don't find the scale focus that much of an issue, I find it easier than guessing exposures combos without a meter.

Here's one of my favourite shots (of my daughter) with it.

However since my discovery of rangefinders this camera has been languishing in the cabinet for years. Just put a roll in though.

Attachments

• Crayons1.jpg
    Crayons1.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 0
FrankS said:
Thanks Jeremy, yes interesting. The author is less than thrilled with the Rollei pictured, but then, it is the economy 35B version.
John is a good guy, I met him on the OM list. I thought he had some good things to say about the 35B as well.

For those who are interested, he also has a good page on the Contax (http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/zeissikonframe.html) ... which helped stoke my interest in RFs.

jky, that second shot is really good. Wayne, yours is good too, though you may have had one too many beers, as the only thing that is straight is the line on the parking lot. ;)

Were those all taken with yellow filters?

Jeremy, thanks for the compliment. That was taken on a trip to Florence - only brought a Rollei 35, Nikon f3hp w/ 35mm & 24mm. I remember it being so liberating only having limited gear on a trip.
Cheers, j

Accidentally I won an auction for the Rollei 35 T and now I have a nice 35, too :) A 35 SE is currently still in the repair shop and soon to be added to my little Rollei family.

Attachments

• rollei35-35T.jpg
    rollei35-35T.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 0
Back