Rollei 35's

Well, for some time I resisted getting one of these, since they weren't even rangefinder cameras. But my friendly neighborhood camera shop had a black 35SE for $100 and so I took the plunge. I've since added a chrome TE and T.

I agree with others' comments -- lovely results from these cameras, regardless of which lens. The battery for the SE/TE may prove difficult to obtain in the future, though -- PX27.

Nice pic's everyone! While I have heard quite a few people who dislike using these cameras over the time I have been interested in them, I haven't caught many people complaining about the quality of the results.

Wayne R. Scott said:
... Then I stumbled upon this one with a bunch of P&S at Goodwill. Wayne

Man, that was lucky!!! I'd love to find a rollei at my local goodwill... It's not going to happen, but I can only hope.

Peter

Steve Bellayr said:
I've just ordered the MR-9 and 386 batteries for my 35. Discussions around net state that is the best way to go.

Steve, could you point me towards some more info... I have not thought too much about what I will do when my 35SE battery dies.

Peter

KoNickon said:
But my friendly neighborhood camera shop had a black 35SE for $100 and so I took the plunge
My goodness... First a Rollei at a Goodwill & now this...! I frequent the bargain shops & thrift stores & am never ever that lucky :) A used Rollei 35 up here still costs a few hundred $$$ from a dealer. Good for you guys to find such bargains on a great cam!
j

About a year ago I spotted this on eBay from a seller who obviously wasn't used to dealing in cameras and mentioned that he suspected the camera was broken because it wouldn't wind on ... and he couldn't seem to get the lens to come out! I took a chance and won the camera for $60.00 (yes sixty) and I'm sure that all you fans of this quirky little device know exactly what the problem was ........... yes nothing!

He just didn't know how to release the lens. It is absolutely perfect and came with the original case and strap! :angel:

366516440_4d545bd555_o.jpg

Last edited:
I have a silver Rollei 35 (original Tessar model) and a black 35 S. One or the other of these is with me almost all the time. Even when I also carry one of my Leicas, a Rollei generally gets the most use, since 40mm is the ideal focal length for me, and I like both the Tessar and the Sonnar better than the Summicron-C or M-Rokkor.

Richard

Steve Bellayr said:
I've just ordered the MR-9 and 386 batteries for my 35. Discussions around net state that is the best way to go.
Definitely the way to go. That combo works perfectly in both of my Rolleis.

Richard

Peter - I have bought mercury battery adapters from www.criscam.com in the past - been very happy with the quality. They are a touch pricey at about $30 US per adapter, but you only need one per camera (less if you move it around depending on how many cams share the same battery type) and they use easy to find, inexpensive silver batteries.

the V27px is the one to replace the PX27 your SE uses. I'm planning on buying one for the TE I purchased from Frank.

Hope that helps. Better in my mind than some of the options.

Cheers.

physiognomy said:
Steve, could you point me towards some more info... I have not thought too much about what I will do when my 35SE battery dies.

Peter

rogue_designer said:
Peter - I have bought mercury battery adapters from www.criscam.com in the past - been very happy with the quality.... The V27px is the one to replace the PX27 your SE uses. I'm planning on buying one for the TE I purchased from Frank.

Thanks for the tip! I really appreciate it... Eventually I will need to get something sorted for my QL GIII etc, so I might as well order a MR-9 adapter as well. Are these adapters a candidate for the most expensive camera accessory by weight?

Peter

Frank: I am shocked and saddened by your incorrect use of the apostrophe in the title of this thread.

Trius said:
Frank: I am shocked and saddened by your incorrect use of the apostrophe in the title of this thread.

Once you master the rules Earl, you are free to break them. It just looks better to me this way. :)

For real fun, take an R35 out in public, put it on top of a stout tripod/head and make some shots. They're smaller than most heads!

The good news is that the Sonnar and Tessar lenses justify careful use. Haven't used any of the three element variants.

Consider too an auxiliary rangefinder for situations where you have the time and inclination to set precise focus.

Weird, wonderful cameras!

my two lux worth/ScottGee1

Thanks for the link Peter (and Daniel) - don't know how brave I am, I tend to use these cams mostly in bright daylight, so maybe the slow speeds won't be as critical for a bit, and I'll get a pro to work on it.

We'll see.

rogue_designer said:
This from somebody with three exclamation points in their sig? :D
When the Leafs are involved, the rules do not apply. That is serious business, OK Bub? Or would you like to experience boarding, charging and high sticking all in one hit?

Trius said:
When the Leafs are involved, the rules do not apply. That is serious business, OK Bub? Or would you like to experience boarding, charging and high sticking all in one hit?

That's a good point, fairly made. Especially given the current state of my beloved Blackhawks. Exclaim away my friend. Exclaim away. ;)

Trius said:
... Or would you like to experience boarding, charging and high sticking all in one hit?

I thought we were talking about the lilliputian Rollei 35.... Man, the topic of sports comes into play & the macho bravado just oozes out from nowhere :) :) :) Lucky those guys on skates wear pads & carry big sticks or they might get into real trouble! :D

Peter

Last edited:
Back