Rollei 35's

FrankS

Local time
2:30 PM
Some people love them, some hate them, but they are indisputably the most solid/well built 35mm compact camera, with full manual control and batteryless operation (except for meter).

Who's got one, who wants one?

I just bought a nice black S model (pictured below), so I sold my chrome TE model. It has a dent on the top deck and on a corner, and the shutter speeds are sticky 1/15 and below.

Attachments

• rollei-S-rff.jpg
    rollei-S-rff.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Rollei-TE-rff.jpg
    Rollei-TE-rff.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
rogue_designer said:
Frank - you have pics of the TE? I'm not familiar with that model.

I have a 35 with the tessar - it's fantastic.

Yes, it's in the classifieds right now.

The 35TE and 35SE were the last of the diminutive Rollei 35's. These two have electronic meters that readily take silver oxides. The previous models with the Gossen-type match needle meters require mercury batteries or a conversion.

I still have a beater 35 TE, but haven't used it since jumping on the Leica screw mount bandwagon. Which is quirkier, a Rollei 35 or a Barnack?

The Rollei 35 habit lead me into medium format folders. They are a bit larger and are 120 not 35mm, but travel well. My current favorite is the diminutive Voigtlander Perkeo II.

Congrats on the 35 S - After looking at some prints, you'll swear they were taken with a larger 35mm camera.

FrankS said:
Who's got one, who wants one?

I have a 35T. Received it as a present from my father years ago. Hm, I think I was 14 when I got this camera. He owned a 35S and was a real fan of this camera.

I bought a 35T back in 1978 and it's the one camera i have kept and would never sell. I used it as a traveling camera for a long time. I have since aquired a couple of XAs and an XA4 which have become my traveling cameras.

What still gets me is how solid this camera feels and how nice it is to take out and use. I would love a 35S but can't justify it.

Just imagine what it would have been like if Rollei had added a little rangefinder and an f2 lens? might have been a bit bigger but worth it.

The 35S is a little like a smaller version of a Leica ii or iii, weighs as much as a rigid Summicron (3/4 of a pound), and has a lens with a great deal of character and refinement (a Sonnar design). I've used it as my primary camera for years.

Like the Hexar AF you take pictures with it that you wouldn't have otherwise--but different pictures.

You have to fuss with focus, but it's not so difficult if you learn to use your imaginary shadow as a guide, halving it or adding to it by 1/2 typically. The 40mm & f2.8 max are fairly forgiving of errors of focus.

A few weeks ago got the Rollei 35 (Singapore) with f3.5 Tesser. Put a battery in from photobattery...silver oxide 625px. At first the readings were off by 2 or 3 stops. Yesterday seemed to be on. I may try one of those replacement holders. Actually the way the camera is designed since you are focusing the ring you might as well focus the fstop and shutter without using the meter. (The meter being on top.) I fits nicely in a jacket pocket and easy to shoot from a car window. Dents are common on this model.

I have a Rollei 35T that I'll never part with...
I was first attracted to it years ago mainly due to how different it looked compared to other compacts (Oly XA, Minox GTE, etc) - rented one for a day & ended up with one soon after. It's a wonderful little brick of a camera despite it's thin top plate that seems to attract dents. From what I've read, some people aren't too fond of its design. However, I personally really like the lay out of the camera - it's very easy to adjust settings while looking down on the top mounted meter (which is fairly accurate in my sample); the hot shoe has never been used so I can't really complain about that...
It surely is a great carry-around piece!
Cheers, j

Thought I'd share a Rollei 35 pic...
289250978_fdeafcab77_m.jpg

Good idea, jky. Got more? Anyone else?

What I like about the earlier models with the meter in the top deck is that you can set the camera with it down at your waist - take a light meter reading, set f-stop and shutter speed, and guess focus distance. The picture can then be taken with or without raising the camera to your eye, depending on circumstances. The CVmeter on a RF hotshoe is similar in operation.

http://www.geocities.com/heidoscop/rollei35.htm

After I read this ... I had to have one. Unfortunately I finished up with four of them. One nice original one and three non working, or with problems, beaters!

Hopefully I can create anther couple of working examples out of it all. One of the non workers is a black S which is a very sexy looking little camera and has its original case and wrist strap ... and no dings.:eek:

Here's my two...

347996469_f9ba041930_o.jpg

I'm sorry to say that I don't have any photo's scanned from my 35SE, but it hasn't failed to surprise me with producing stunning pictures... This pic was taken with my B35 through a window in LA just before boarding for home over the summer. I find that the 40/3.5 Triotar lens very good & can't work out why it is bashed by some people. Sure, compared to the 40/2.8 Sonnar it definitely takes second place, but considering you pay under 1/2 the price I think they are a bargain!

348077946_821404da7f_o.jpg

Peter

Black Rollei 35's are one of the prettiest cameras I've ever seen...

Here's a couple more from my 35T:
327819224_1624bb062f.jpg

And ...
278804695_014f2084fe.jpg

Cheers, j

I have a Rollei 35S, my second one. The first one I traded in to get a Contax IIa with 50mm Sonnar f1.5. Then I stumbled upon this one with a bunch of P&S at Goodwill.

FarmersMarket2.jpg

Wayne

I have a chrome 35S and a black 35T. I hate them, because they force me to use them all the time as the rest of my modest collection languishes in shelves ;-). Seriously, I think the Rollei 35 is the brigthest-designed camera ever: small, ultra capable, built like a tank... They even look cool. I use them instead of point and shoots.

I have a lowly 35LED, and although I find it aggravating, I also find it fascinating. It's more like a larger format Minox than the 35mm Minox. All of the quarks, and cheaper film. How could any masochistic go wrong?

Back