Prototype MINT 35mm Film Camera

Wow, they just announced that the MINT film camera will be called Rollei 35AF.

"Yes, you read that right. We are thrilled to announce that Rollei has graciously granted us permission to use their logo. This collaboration marks an exciting step forward for all parties involved. The Rollei brand will undoubtedly increase awareness for this camera. After pouring our hearts and souls into this project, I really hope the Rollei 35AF becomes accessible to a broader audience."
Well, the Mint "Rolleiflex Instant Kamera" TLR has been around for a while, so this isn't so surprising. I'm not so sure I'm thrilled to see the noble Rollei marque used this way, but Rollei as I know and love it has been dead for a while. Sic transit gloria. But if it all helps development and sales of a new film camera, I guess I'm for it!

Well, the Mint "Rolleiflex Instant Kamera" TLR has been around for a while, so this isn't so surprising. I'm not so sure I'm thrilled to see the noble Rollei marque used this way, but Rollei as I know and love it has been dead for a while. Sic transit gloria. But if it all helps development and sales of a new film camera, I guess I'm for it!
Yeah, this is not MiNT's first time licensing the Rollei name for a camera. I'm wary too, but I do own a MiNT SF70 and quite like it. And it wouldn't be the first time a storied brand got used for completely different cameras by a completely different camera. Contaxes made by Kyocera/Cosina, Voigtlander Bessas by Cosina, heck even the Rollei 35RF by Cosina. All of the cameras I just mentioned are between decent and excellent, so I don't think there's any reason why this has to be bad for the Rollei brand. I don't think it's going to be like the garbage "Yashica" cameras that have come out recently.

True.

For anyone interested in Rollei history, there's this exhaustive review: Rollei - Wikipedia Scroll down to read its sad fate. However, Eric Hiss at DW Photo in the US does bravely soldier on and keeps the flame burning as best as he can.

Oh that’s cool… first I’m hearing about it.
So, if I understand correctly, this is 24x60 horizontal format on 120 film, and not like Rolleikin-style vertical format on 35mm. Very, very interesting; I'd bite! Let's just hope they don't burden it with the Seagull name and reputation! Maybe this needs its own thread as development progresses?

I do not get why anyone would buy this when so many classic film cameras are available so cheaply.
People want new. They want a warranty. And they want the latest, even if it's retro. Nevertheless, I agree, and would be more inclined to purchase a vintage mint Rollei 35, myself.

Well, there are no $600 autofocus fully manual point and shoot cameras like this that are reliable. AF and reliability will be it’s selling point.
yes, if a newbie does not know film cameras its confusing and uncharted territory without a warranty ... LOL

Happily experienced film shooters have an incredible variety of advanced versatile film cameras for practically nothing.

Last edited:
yes, if a newbie does not know film cameras its confusing and uncharted territory without a warranty ... LOL

Happily experienced film shooters have an incredible variety of advanced versatile film cameras for practically nothing.
I'm not a newbie (I´ve been photographing for over 30 years) and this MINT camera interests me over other small film 20-30 year old P&S cameras. I want a small camera and I want AF. Why wouldn't it interest me? Of course, an 8x10" film camera would be lovely too. However, it isn't used for the same purposes. I find the push back from "Happily experienced film shooters" to be very strange.

I think the price for a well made camera with a good lens is ok. In reality if the Leica cm was still being made with a full warranty and good repair option that would be good also. I think , with some of the bargains to be had in the past, we are in danger of becoming cheap skates

Back