Prototype MINT 35mm Film Camera

A lot of circuitry getting squeezed in there, unlike a Rollei 35 which just seems to keep on working forever.

Good luck to them, all new film cameras are very welcome.

Last edited:
It certainly looks like they are using the Rollei 35 as a strong reference camera. Kind of looks like the new camera will have one dial on the front, maybe not two. But it has a very similar boxy shape as well. Very interesting! They will probably beat Ricoh/Pentax to the punch.

It's hard to tell from the picture what all those little bits are, but nothing looks like a rangefinder module, despite the multiple windows on the front. I shoot slower films, and I need/like to shoot at large apertures for shallow depth. Scale focusing doesn't do well in those situations, so the Rollei and similar cameras don't really work for me. Let's hope it has a rangefinder, or at least a good AF system. I'm really looking forward to seeing this little beast when it arrives, and I'm hoping it's more than a simple point-and-shoot. And even if it's not to my liking, I'll heartily welcome any new film camera!

It's hard to tell from the picture what all those little bits are, but nothing looks like a rangefinder module, despite the multiple windows on the front. I shoot slower films, and I need/like to shoot at large apertures for shallow depth. Scale focusing doesn't do well in those situations, so the Rollei and similar cameras don't really work for me. Let's hope it has a rangefinder, or at least a good AF system. I'm really looking forward to seeing this little beast when it arrives, and I'm hoping it's more than a simple point-and-shoot. And even if it's not to my liking, I'll heartily welcome any new film camera!
According to a story on 35MMC, Mint will be using LIDAR for focus, this is more accurate than conventional auto focus and is being used in some of the latest iPhone modules too.

Who is the target market for this camera? Would you buy one and, if so, how much would you pay? Haven't young people moved on to vintage digital point and shoots? I thought that $20-$30 a roll for film, processing, and scanning took the bloom off the rose for film enthusiasts of all ages.

I think it is exciting. I hope it won't be prohibitively expensive. Waiting to see what Pentax comes up with too.

Who is the target market for this camera? Would you buy one and, if so, how much would you pay? Haven't young people moved on to vintage digital point and shoots? I thought that $20-$30 a roll for film, processing, and scanning took the bloom off the rose for film enthusiasts of all ages.
The same people who want a nice film compact to use. One that is brand new and can be repaired. People pay $2000 for the Contax T3.

It is not a mainstream camera, so it won't have to sell tons. I might buy one, since an autofocus Rollei 35 is exactly the kind of camera I'd want, but I have a feeling it'll be more than I want to pay. I mean their instant cameras are $399-$999. They must think they can sell this and so do Pentax. Having new film cameras that are not toys could bring back some cheaper films (though I think processing etc will just keep getting worse).

Last edited:
MINT just released an update on their progress. They'll be using Lidar for autofocusing on this camera. They say it works quite well, but it will make the camera more expensive.

Jim B.

Autofocus is what any potential new buyers know and with aging compact film cameras and their primitive AF at the limits of their lifespans, this seems a logical differentiation point.

Last edited:
I think it's a new set of young people that use the digital P&S cameras. The film kids are still all out there, a bit older, probably a bit wiser to the fact that buying old gear with no possibility of repair and unreliable old internals can come back to bite you. Film sales are still going strong.

So, I saw that they felt encouraged that Leica rereleased the M6 last year and that they are aiming towards 1/10th of the price of the M6. That means a little over $500. With AF and a decent lens, I think it would be something I'd buy. Of course, it needs to not feel like a toy.

I have
So, I saw that they felt encouraged that Leica rereleased the M6 last year and that they are aiming towards 1/10th of the price of the M6. That means a little over $500. With AF and a decent lens, I think it would be something I'd buy. Of course, it needs to not feel like a toy.
I do not have a good idea what young film enthusiasts would want to buy. I can read stuff on the internet (including here) about what others think young film enthusiasts want (or should want) to buy, but I have only limited experience talking to young film enthusiasts directly. The ones I have spoken with wanted SLRs, or in a couple of cases medium format or 4x5. I would think $500 would be beyond the pale for an AE AF point and shoot..

I have

I do not have a good idea what young film enthusiasts would want to buy. I can read stuff on the internet (including here) about what others think young film enthusiasts want (or should want) to buy, but I have only limited experience talking to young film enthusiasts directly. The ones I have spoken with wanted SLRs, or in a couple of cases medium format or 4x5. I would think $500 would be beyond the pale for an AE AF point and shoot..
It's beyond the pale for me, and I could afford it. I would just rather spend my money on a used and more useful camera, one without AE and/or AF. But then, I'm not a young film enthusiast, not by a long shot! With age comes experience, or at least crankiness.

Back