Prototype MINT 35mm Film Camera

Well, Mint sent out more images today and yeah, they look pretty pedestrian:

(not sure if that link will work)

Still, it is a new autofocus compact and that is a feat in itself.
I don't see anything particularly mediocre about the technical quality in those photos. They're kind of normal "test photos" not photographic fine art, aesthetically. Gary is not a professional photographer...

When the Rollei 35AF is released, I'd love a chance to shoot with it side by side to my Rollei 35S and Minox 35GT-E to see how the lenses differ. I'd also like to have a Lomo LCA+ to compare it against ... I have one of the LCA+ lenses in Leica M mount that I've used with my M10-M and M10-R, though. I could shoot some film with it using my M4-2; so I know what the lens is capable of already (and it's not half bad...).

Leica M10-M + Lomo LCA Minitar-1
photo made with iPhone 15 Pro

What I like least about the Minitar-1 lens is the lever action focusing. It just feels cheap and imprecise to me.
G

I don't see anything particularly mediocre about the technical quality in those photos. They're kind of normal "test photos" not photographic fine art, aesthetically. Gary is not a professional photographer...
I think you know that I'm not expecting art... test images are mediocre generally no? I do not see why my comment was so outrageous.
When the Rollei 35AF is released, I'd love a chance to shoot with it side by side to my Rollei 35S and Minox 35GT-E to see how the lenses differ.
Could be cool... I do find a brand new AF film camera from 2024 somewhat intriguing. Maybe one day I'll check it out. Right now I am on a Fuji GFX kick instead.

I don't think it's unfair to say that Ricoh directs most of its marketing towards the Japanese market. I am a fan of Pentax and Ricoh and I follow the company quite closely. They release many videos on YouTube only in Japanese (often without English subtitles). Look at the official GR Blog (GR official | RICOH official community site)—although it does have an English translation, the vast majority of the featured photographers are Japanese, and the marketing events are almost exclusively in Japan. Ricoh's Japanese website is also much more comprehensive than its US site. Whether this is the inention of the company as a whole or the result of lack of interest in photography and optical products from the American division of the company, I do not know.

It seems clear to me that the company's marketing is focused on the Japanese home market to a much greater extent that the larger manufacturers like Canon and Nikon. I'm not mentioning any of this in a judgmental or prejudicial way. To me, this makes Ricoh/Pentax and its products more interesting, not less.
This is interesting. I’ve developed an interest and enjoyment of some aspects of Japanese aesthetics over the years and can this in the GRiii. I hadn’t put that together, but the lack of decoration and visual simplicity of design, along with a very great deal of underlying thought, do reflect this aesthetic tradition.

This is interesting. I’ve developed an interest and enjoyment of some aspects of Japanese aesthetics over the years and can this in the GRiii. I hadn’t put that together, but the lack of decoration and visual simplicity of design, along with a very great deal of underlying thought, do reflect this aesthetic tradition.
Yes, an interesting idea and one I've not considered. Even aesthetically speaking, the Deco design aesthetic, so much an influence in German and American camera design, seems never to have been very influential in Japan, to my limited knowledge.

Personally I hope that both MiNT/Rollei and Ricoh/Pentax are successful with their offerings should they both wind up releasing new film cameras. As the old saying goes, different strokes for different folks — which seems most appropriate considering that both companies appear to be intent on releasing cameras featuring manual film advancement.

I see a lot of film newbs accidentally causing their automatic P&S camers to rewind film prematurely, so manual advance and rewind is probably a plus. That and it seems to be a part that frequently breaks on these aging cameras.

I see a lot of film newbs accidentally causing their automatic P&S camers to rewind film prematurely, so manual advance and rewind is probably a plus. That and it seems to be a part that frequently breaks on these aging cameras.
While I owned several of them that were nice cameras and lasted well (Ricoh GR1, Nikon 35Ti, Olympus Infinity Stylus), I never really liked the motorized wind/rewind generation of compact 35s. The film transport system in these cameras is one of the most highly stressed components, and to keep the cameras small and light, usually underspec'ed for any notion of high durability.

Manual wind/rewind cameras in this size and weight class (Rollei 35, Minox 35, Petri 35, Olympus XA, etc) typically have far more durable film transport systems: there are far fewer parts and no tiny electric motors or battery fittings required. That said, I have owned and enjoyed several Olympus XAs over time, and every one of them ultimately succumbed to a worn-out film transport system in the end.

We always live within the envelope of what is practical and feasible in the size, weight, complexity, durability, and price compromises... :)

G

There is also the joy of listening to automatic rewind in the middle of a concert or wedding where quiet is important. I never owned a film camera with automatic rewind for exactly that reason.

Personally I hope that both MiNT/Rollei and Ricoh/Pentax are successful with their offerings should they both wind up releasing new film cameras. As the old saying goes, different strokes for different folks — which seems most appropriate considering that both companies appear to be intent on releasing cameras featuring manual film advancement.
Yeah, I agree. More photographic tools being available with support is never a bad thing. I certainly am more interested in the Rollei than the Pentax, though I really admire Pentax and them trying to be in niches that are unique.

Yeah, I agree. More photographic tools being available with support is never a bad thing. I certainly am more interested in the Rollei than the Pentax, though I really admire Pentax and them trying to be in niches that are unique.
And, maybe, a future Ricoh/Pentax aimed for a higher market! Two new enthusiast film cameras would truly be an embarrassment of riches.

And, maybe, a future Ricoh/Pentax aimed for a higher market! Two new enthusiast film cameras would truly be an embarrassment of riches.
Could be, but we will see. There seems to be many SLRs still out there working well. I mean, I´m not going to pretend that I'm not mostly digital. However, film is important to the history of the medium and I like to dabble sometimes. I would certainly consider a medium format 6x6 or 6x7 in the $2000 range if anyone pulls that off. Haha.

Could be, but we will see. There seems to be many SLRs still out there working well. I mean, I´m not going to pretend that I'm not mostly digital. However, film is important to the history of the medium and I like to dabble sometimes. I would certainly consider a medium format 6x6 or 6x7 in the $2000 range if anyone pulls that off. Haha.
Hmm. One of my current Hasselblad 500CMs I bought in 2013 or so ... body, WL finder, A12 back, Sonnar 150mm for $1100. It stank of cigarette smoke, but a few weeks sitting in the sun, all taken apart, finally killed that stench.

Just sayin' ... If you keep your eyes open, sometimes a good MF deal shows up. But a new camera of equivalent quality? Improbable at that price.

G

So, we know it is an autofocus camera, but today they announced a few more details:

"We've also included a built-in light meter and AUTO modes, allowing you to focus entirely on the things in front of you."

It is definitely made to closely resemble the classic Rollei 35 models. I think they picked a great camera to represent their foray into a higher-end 35mm compact. Let's hope it can deliver the goods!

It looks good, just wished they had done a 6 element lens, Contact T3 level rather than something not as good. But that's just me.
They have put a self timer on it so that's a plus in my book.

If this 35AF is as small as the original 35, and yet with AF and TTL(?) metering then it's a remarkable achievement by Mint.
Apart from licensing the name they must have licensed pretty much all the other design details of the 35 as well. Wonderful.
I'm looking forward to the release of this camera.

Back