Petri color 35

lxmike

M2 fan.
Local time
9:44 AM
Hi,

i am considering getting a Petri color 35, Stephen gandy seems to love the camera does any forum member who owns this camera share his views. How good is the 40 2.8 lens. Thanks for any help

cheers Mick

Had one years ago until a drop onto concrete broke it.
Nice compact camera, almost as small as a Rollei 35 but with better handling. The lens was good I thought, plenty of resolution even when cropped. Not as contrasty as the 40mm f2.8 Sonnar on a Rollei 35S I had but so what, bump the paper grade a notch. Focusing a little different with a wheel on the back. Seemed strange when I first got the camera but actually worked quite well. You look through the VF and focus by scale. Turn the focusing wheel all the way back to fully retract the lens. The shutter is interlocked with the focusing wheel so you can't waste a shot with the lens retracted.

I'd get another one but they have become such a hot item that the price has gone sky high. Now for a compact RF I shoot with a Olympus 35 RC found in a second hand store.

35RC is a great camera - I just wish it could be as small as a Rollei 35 ;)
Had one years ago until a drop onto concrete broke it.
Nice compact camera, almost as small as a Rollei 35 but with better handling. The lens was good I thought, plenty of resolution even when cropped. Not as contrasty as the 40mm f2.8 Sonnar on a Rollei 35S I had but so what, bump the paper grade a notch. Focusing a little different with a wheel on the back. Seemed strange when I first got the camera but actually worked quite well. You look through the VF and focus by scale. Turn the focusing wheel all the way back to fully retract the lens. The shutter is interlocked with the focusing wheel so you can't waste a shot with the lens retracted.

I'd get another one but they have become such a hot item that the price has gone sky high. Now for a compact RF I shoot with a Olympus 35 RC found in a second hand store.

Thanks for all the replies chaps, in the end a combination of events meant that I did not go for the etri color 35, (Taving hat cr will have to wait for the future), as soed out £99 is a bit steep, also I found out that the optics were marked, the final clinhcer was the faxt that I used my limited funds elsewhere,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have just grabbed a Bronica ETRS, with prism finder, (unmetered), 120 film back and Zenzanon 50mm 2.8 wide angle lens for £150

I picked up a black petri color 35 for $23 shipped. En route. Seller said the shutter does not work but we will see.

I think that was money well spent, the Bronica is a great piece of kit.

As I said I've not used my Color 35 yet but it's looks to be in fair condition, I don't think the meter works that well but I only paid £15.00 - I only picked it up for a play.

I think you're going to have much more fun with that 120 - enjoy!!!:D

I must admit I'm really excited about the bronica s arrival

I think that was money well spent, the Bronica is a great piece of kit.

As I said I've not used my Color 35 yet but it's looks to be in fair condition, I don't think the meter works that well but I only paid £15.00 - I only picked it up for a play.

I think you're going to have much more fun with that 120 - enjoy!!!:D

you cannot go wrong at £15

very well done

got it. shutter works! light meter does work. lens elements have some fungus but I guess still worth $23 just for fun, and for comparison with my Rollei 35.
Anybody know if it needs light seal foam? I do see traces of light seal but they don't seem to be very necessary. Thanks in advance.

counds like a bargain to me:)

counds like a bargain to me:)
Got the Petri Color 35. Meter doesn't work. Lens has serious fungus. Tested it with Kodak Proimage. I kinda like its soft rendering, with some "glow" :angel: Hate the "roll out" lens design though. Maybe I will just keep it, but away from my other cameras because of the fungus.
8072550161_2f06a9a546_b.jpg

another
8072550263_9f6a900eea_b.jpg

They bring some real money on occasion

£99 seems quite high, I might be wrong though.

I've had three. One a chrome and black, one all black-a D model with the higher 1/300 top speed, and one I still have. Need to take the top off and reposition the zone focus scale in the finder. It works otherwise.

I sold the chrome/black about 3 years ago for $250.

Funny story on the all black D. I sat down and posted about 12 items on eBay, including the Black D. Other than shutter and color, identical to the 35 color. I posted it with a $500 BIN. (hopeful:D as always).

After posting all the items, I went back to look at all the listings. I was short one. OH Crap... I went through the listings to see which one did not post. The Black 35 Color D was gone...... SOLD!!! about 45 minutes on the site.

Great little shooters all. Biggest failing to check before purchase, working meter.

BUT FORGET the followup... 35 Color AE auto exposure, no manual override and a POS otherwise as well. $10 item for one working because it won't be for long.

Many people trying to foist these off on eBay as the Great Successor to the one and only original 35 color, which the Head Bartender reviews so eloquently on his web site.

£99 seems quite high, I might be wrong though.

I've had three. One a chrome and black D model, one all black model and one black/chrome standard Color 35, I still have. Need to take the top off and reposition the zone focus scale in the finder. It works otherwise.

I sold the chrome/black D about 3 years ago for $250.

Funny story on the all black model. I sat down and posted about 12 items on eBay, including the Black color 35. Other than color, identical to the Color 35. I posted it with a $500 BIN. (hopeful as always).

After posting all the items, I went back to look at all the listings. I was short one. OH Crap... I went through the listings to see which one did not post. The Black Color 35 was gone...... SOLD!!! about 45 minutes on the site. Sold BIN $500.

Great little shooters all. Biggest failing to check before purchase, working meter.

BUT FORGET the followup... 35 Color AE auto exposure, no manual override and a POS otherwise as well. $10 item for one working because it won't be for long.
Many people trying to foist these off on eBay as the Great Successor to the original 35 color which the Head Bartender reviews so eloquently on his web site.

I've actually had good luck with the Petri RFs in general. Not sure why the Color 35 gets singled out amongst them as being great. I guess because it is compact.

I would definitely get and ETRSi again, IF......

I would definitely get and ETRSi again, IF......

Thanks for all the replies chaps, in the end a combination of events meant that I did not go for the etri color 35, (Taving hat cr will have to wait for the future), as soed out £99 is a bit steep, also I found out that the optics were marked, the final clinhcer was the faxt that I used my limited funds elsewhere,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have just grabbed a Bronica ETRS, with prism finder, (unmetered), 120 film back and Zenzanon 50mm 2.8 wide angle lens for £150

I've shot the Bronica ETRSi a lot in the past. Kind of left 645 for 6X9.

HOWEVER, if I could find one back for the ETR series, I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

That film back is the 135W, that shoots 35mm transported sideways for a 56X24 panorama... much like a Hasselblad XPan.

That back plus the lens range and quality in the ETR line would be a great 35mm Pano kit. The back when found runs to $250, and a multiple lens ETRSi kit can run to $700-800 with a metered prism. However when I see people paying well over $2000 for the X-pan, or as much for the manufacturers version of the X-pan... made by Fujifilm, I am tempted toward having another Bronica that can shoot the 35mm Pano.

Some say that pano back is tricky to load, but I say this..... a $1000 savings and a range of 2-3 lenses makes me very tricky indeed.

Looking into manual and at pictures I suddenly realized distance is only set by rotating small wheel on back, so no fast action around lens. But this is nothing compared to fact one can't see distance lens is set at without peeping into VF as there is no distance scale anywhere outside. And this is despite brilliant placement and readability of shutter controls....

As cute it is but I think this makes me turning nose away. For me this is a case when smaller means less than needed.

How do you live with this, if anyone has noticed?

Back